Game-Labs Forum

Boarding + 'Determined Defender' suggestion

How about leave it as is? It reduced rage boarding down a great deal, and really, who really enjoys this boarding mini-game? The only people whining about is those running marines and book of five rings for easy kills.

So some work first, board later, don't pretend boarding in its current form requires any skill whatsoever.

In fact, remove boarding completely, until it's reworked to require some thought.

Edited by Le Raf Boom

16 hours ago, Christendom said:

Frankly it's absurd that I can physically demast a ship and kill 100 crew and STILL not be able to board it because I'm in a smaller ship.  

I hate determined defender with every fiber of my being.  Ruins most aspect of PVP and PBs for me.

And why should a smaller ship board a bigger one easily?

If you have more crew than your opponent, board, if you don`t, you shouldn`t be able to do so.

And what is this aspect of yours in PVP and PB? Kill sails, push in the wind, board? No, thanks. Want to board? Well, then do something for it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Havelock said:

I think if we change DD so you only need to have more crew to board it would be fine. I havent been in a single boarding action since its reintroduction and agree that 30% is too much.

Or at least 10% more crew. Easy to count :)

17 hours ago, HachiRoku said:

I have been thinking but getting the numbers right would be very hard to do. 5 Morale might be ok but it might be to much over 1 hour. 

Moral could go back up if you put the enemy into reload shock, in other words get shocked and yours drops, shock enemy and rise yours

This Perk is Just to Magic..... I mean you cannot see anything till it says to you determindblabla.....(example: use Marines vs one ship without marines but Determind...example: Pirate Frigate 300crew (+marines+30-60crew) enemy without marines Indefati (350crew with determind....) you cant even board the indefati... maybe in future can add something we can see what the ship use for the boarding stuff.. Marines on deck or some barricades for determind on the decks so people  could see more...

5 hours ago, rediii said:

what I see very much is people saying that boarding requires no skill that actually cant board (dont have the skill it needs)

Just a observation :)

Which part? Stacking boarding mods? Or waiting to the last second to push whatever button which is very ping sensitive? How would you ever classify this as some sort of a skill?

The act of forcing the enemy to slow down sufficiently does require skill, but it all goes downhill from there.

Edited by Le Raf Boom

Now that we have given some time to DD to settle in (with 30% bonus) lets have a honest discussion about its effects on the game play and the need for tuning?

What are your thoughts? 

I prefer when engagements are resolved by maneuvering your ships and firing your cannons not a dull point and click interface with obvious flaws.

Make DD not a perk and make it inherent, 30% more crew to board someone, revisit later when boarding is improved - GG!

• Like 3

Its effect is most notable in shallow ships given the reduced crews already. A simple raid of a trader convoy using a schooner is... simply... nightmarish.

At frigate level didn't feel much problems.

Unsure what to think of it, it makes sense but it has no payoff such as Control ( must have no chasers ). Plus it costs 2 perk points only.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2018 at 5:41 AM, Capt Trashal Early said:

I still think it should be based off of a deeper moral system.

A demoralised ship regardless of the crew wouldn't be determined defenders.
Kill the moral like the Surprise demasting the Acheron (a much bigger vessel) then board the buggers.

Already suggested idea revolving this before in the determined defender feedback but the threat was locked.

this, if you board someone and they have 40 morale that must mean there's already a morale system during battle that we don't see that isn't being used to it's full potential.

you should have to have +30 more morale than your enemy to board, this makes more sense than a magic barrier of a perk.

• Like 1

In truth the change tacks back and forth into the wind became very easy and noticeable widespread use in raiding squadrons due to no chance of being boarded during the manoeuvre :) . 

15 minutes ago, rediii said:

30% is too much. 10% would be fine.

It makes boardingmods on 1st rates realy unimportant right now. Boarding is a skill aswell.

What could work aswell is that DD is only active when your boardingprep is higher than 50

Nice and simple 

I dislike the whole focus on boarding as a preferred tactic, but understand that it is a big part of many player's game.  To be fair to history, however, there should be an ability for other ships to join in on the boarding.

• Like 1

The question is do we want someone to be able to drive straight into someone and instantly board without having to do something to soften them up first? Remember the days of gold marines and ships that were purely boarding ships that were able to win the boarding in one round nearly every time, that was not fun gameplay.

I prefer the suggestion where the effectiveness of DD is related to the morale, but you would have to be able to see your current crew morale to know if you were susceptible to boarding. With full crew and high morale it should be difficult to board unless you have a large numerical advantage and I think the 30% given by DD replicates that well and avoids the boarding meta.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Archaos said:

The question is do we want someone to be able to drive straight into someone and instantly board without having to do something to soften them up first?

Against civilian crews handling trade vessels ? Aye. 30% is immense in a schooner/brig to brig fight. In a frigate to frigate fight is not that much :) and I feel it is okay ( if it has a payoff like proposed above - Must be in Boarding mode and above a certain level, i'd say 70/100 )

I am with @rediii here. 30% is too high - if we must keep DD then bring it down to 10%-20%.

I would much rather it be different (a thread by Hachi in suggestions talk about morale and how that could be worked into boarding overall), but I will settle with a simpler solution.

2 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Against civilian crews handling trade vessels ? Aye. 30% is immense in a schooner/brig to brig fight. In a frigate to frigate fight is not that much :) and I feel it is okay ( if it has a payoff like proposed above - Must be in Boarding mode and above a certain level, i'd say 70/100 )

It really is two different issues.  Traders should be very vulnerable to boarding.  Military vessels should not be. 

I'm with rediii. Don't like DD much (didn't before and still don't) as it pretty much takes away boarding as an option. DD only active when at some level of boarding prep would be much better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

It really is two different issues.  Traders should be very vulnerable to boarding.  Military vessels should not be. 

All vessels should be vulnerable, more so if they are not ready/prep for boarding.

On the part of a true grit DD, search the trader Isabella defense versus the Marquis de Brancas.