Game-Labs Forum

The colors of the water

@admin

In order to solve the old PVP vs Carebear trench war, I suggest a possible way solution fo OW PVP

The map could be divided in different "color" waters.

We already have green zones around capitals and surrounding (and let's imagine for a moment that you cannot attack anyone in there)

Why then not creating also blue zones (where, let's say, you can attack just first rank players and not lower ranks), yellow zones (where you can attack also second rank), orange zones (also third rank), red (also fourth rank), black (you can attack everyone).

The "color" of the water can be displayed on the map and appear in the screen when you sail as a colored text indication at the side of the screen. 

The eco resources and valuable loot could be put in the zones accordingly: the more dangerous the zone, the more important the resources you will find in ports and the more easy would be looting good upgrades and materials from IAs, the more xp and gold and marks you get from NPC and PVP kills ... and so on.

Edited by victor
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, victor said:

@admin

In order to solve the old PVP vs Carebear trench war, I suggest a possible way solution fo OW PVP

We already have green zones around capitals and surrounding (and let's imagine for a moment that you cannot attack anyone in there)

Why then not creating also blue zones (where, let's say, you can attack just first rank players and not lower ranks), yellow zones (where you can attack also second rank), orange zones (also third rank), red (also fourth rank), black (you can attack everyone).

The "color" of the water can be displayed on the map and appear in the screen when you sail as a colored text indication at the side of the screen. 

The eco resources and valuable loot could be put in the zones accordingly: the more dangerous the zone, the more important the resources you will find in ports and the more easy would be looting good upgrades and materials from IAs, the more xp and gold and marks you get from NPC and PVP kills ... and so on.

It's really this simple ladies and gentleman.

3 hours ago, victor said:

@admin

Unless BR limitation for battles ongoing isn`t in game, there will be no proper solution for gank..sorry, "PVP" zones. OW battles should not be affected by those limitations.

I appreciate the effort of yours though.

8 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

You could always make a zone where it can only be 1v1.

that's a nice idea, maybe near some free ports: white (knoghts) waters?

Edited by victor

1 hour ago, rediii said:

Zones would make a perfect playstyle for ecoalts.

No, if rare/valuable goods and drops are very rare outside black zones.

The system shall simply be projected wisely as far as the position of the zones and the distribution of the rewards, resources and loot is concerned.

Edited by victor

Just now, rediii said:

Your suggestion limits all pvp around the map. Found a trader in a yellowzone or something? Oh he has only 60 crew so the rank is too low? Too bad. Oh he is bringing repairs to a portbattle because he cant be attacked? Dissux

You simply do not understand that projecting a game ONLY based on the needs of a 50 players will lead to a failure . So there is no actual reason in discussing about anything with you.

3 minutes ago, Rychu Karas said:

Victor, Most of your ideas are about turning pvp server into a pve server. maybe u pick a wrong server or even a wrong game?

Many players look to a age of sail MMO that provides the best proto-realistic combat instances. Each players' opinions and suggestions are valid. He did pick the right game.

o7

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rychu Karas said:

Victor, Most of your ideas are about turning pvp server into a pve server.

@Hethwill, agree and sorry

No, actually my suggestions are meant to make PVP and PVE coexist in the same game, as it happens is in some of the most successfull MMOs like EVE online.

Edited by victor

1 hour ago, Slim McSauce said:

Like I meant to say earlier, this suggestion is good but using rank as your big variable is a bad idea for various reasons

I'm not telling that you are wrong, but which could be a viable (yet simple) alternative to ranks in your opinion?

Edited by victor

Just now, rediii said:

Green zone = stays open, you get reinforcements

yellow zone = Everyone gets dragged, BR has to be even. Joining only possible for lowBR side. Stays open

Black zone = Everyone gets dragged, joining possible for 3 minutes

That would be something I can agree on

I was not asking to you, since it's clear that you are not disposed to find any reasonable solution.

In fact your solution is just fit for the needs of the hardcore PVP kind of player you belong to.

Edited by victor

@victor for once is right to defend the rights of PvE players on the server. Most people do PvE for a long period of time before getting into PvP and RvR. Making them ragequit through frustration prior to that in the long run denies content to the rest of the server. The problem that many seem to have is thinking long term and looking for short term gratification in terms of kills. It's like the reinforcement zones. Do they annoy me as a raider? Yes. Would I remove them? No. It prevents overfishing like what happened to the Dutch previously. A few raiders at one point crippled their economy and now it isn't possible.

We should ignore the issue of alts when making general mechanics. Sure, will there be alt farmers? Yes. The question is why does it matter? It doesn't really because all it means is that they're crap players and they'll be sailing fancy ships which will be easy to take off them because they're crap.

Protecting lower ranked players should be a priority, especially given the overfishing of the seas of late.