Game-Labs Forum

Chain shot limitations - advanced warning

Captains

Amount of chain shot carried by a ship will be limited next patch (so called tutorial patch)
No perk will be required for use of chain (at least for now).

Reasons

• Historically ships carried A LOT less chain and grape compared to normal cannon balls. 
  • Gameplay wise we want to bring more skill into chaining and limitation of chain will force players to conserve it, pick proper angles to destroy more sail and in general think about its use instead of current chainshot clicker heroes
  • This also means that outnumbered players will have easier time fighting against bigger groups who rely on active chaining as the ONLY tactic. 

Please start thinking about new tactics and of course.... discuss. 

• Like 43

Will grape/canister also be limited? It would be really good to see that happen too, i'd even call for round shot to have a high limit as well, say 60-80 shots per gun but as a few people have said, repairs do need to see a change to respond to this too.

Edited by Fluffy Fishy
  • Like 1

I haven't seen this suggested and it seems like a ill thought out change. Sail reps are already to stronk and limiting chain is just going to bring all the power to the fast ships. again. 

Speed meta relies on books that most players dont have therefore the meta yet again will favour the experienced player leading to new players demise.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

Limiting munitions and not repairs is a mistake imo. Also, players that cannot dismast are now hurt even more.... 

every player can demast, they just have to learn it

8 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Your repairs are limited by cargo space and the more you take, the slower you are.

As if all those tanky built ships care about speed theses days. Speed and the battle for the wind are dead in this game now...  Limiting repairs would solve alot of the retarded over the top full tank metas there are these days. The combat was better of with fewer repairs and made battles more tactical. We used to duel for 2 hours back in the past and battles were interesting. One  mistake and it was gg. Now it's get close do damage and out dps and out repair your enemy. Here is what should be tested for once. Stop wind shifting and limit repairs. I think the combat would improve a lot. 

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Havelock said:

I just got sunk yesterday by a group of 6 ships that kept chaining me to 50% and only started shooting hull after they finally demasted me to 6% so... yeah, i think this will help!

So you think 6v1 will make a difference if the have limited chain? They still have 6 times more chain than you. 

• Like 7

Just now, HachiRoku said:

So you think 6v1 will make a difference if the have limited chain? They still have 6 times more chain than you. 

The problem with getting chained by multiple ships is not being able to counter it. You can only angle your sails towards 2 players at max, but avoiding hull damage is easier methinks. So when they run out of chain, at least i have a better chance of sinking something!

We had the same discussion with repairs: "The enemy has 6 times more repairs than you, this makes ganking even more profitable!" But we actually see that smart use of repairs makes good players win more uneven battles.

• Like 2

no i belive repairs should not be done

29 minutes ago, admin said:

Captains

Amount of chain shot carried by a ship will be limited next patch (so called tutorial patch)
No perk will be required for use of chain (at least for now).

Reasons

• Historically ships carried A LOT less chain and grape compared to normal cannon balls. 
  • Gameplay wise we want to bring more skill into chaining and limitation of chain will force players to conserve it, pick proper angles to destroy more sail and in general think about its use instead of current chainshot clicker heroes
  • This also means that outnumbered players will have easier time fighting against bigger groups who rely on active chaining as the ONLY tactic. 

Please start thinking about new tactics and of course.... discuss. 

Idea is good but also limit repairs becouse now chaining will be useless even if you land all shots right he will just repair sails and he will escape.

any eta on this Tutorial patch?

• Like 1

Limited chain and maybe even limited grape is the final icing on the cake perfecting our amazing  combat model. Of course it will be paired with damage changes and repair tuning.

Captains asking the question "why do you keep tuning numbers in database instead of working on other things" should remember that changing numbers do not require programmers. Our huge team of 2 programmers is super busy with tutorial and ui.

• Like 18

3 minutes ago, Havelock said:

The problem with getting chained by multiple ships is not being able to counter it. You can only angle your sails towards 2 players at max, but avoiding hull damage is easier methinks. So when they run out of chain, at least i have a better chance of sinking something!

We had the same discussion with repairs: "The enemy has 6 times more repairs than you, this makes ganking even more profitable!" But we actually see that smart use of repairs makes good players win more uneven battles.

So making the gap between good players and bad players bigger will solve issues? This game is all about Seal clubbing and mark farming imo and designing the game around that is very bad for new players. I am not critical of you! I know you will fight any pvpers like myself but I get a lot of people from other nations asking to team up and kill nooks. Pvpers should be killing each other. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, admin said:

Limited chain and maybe even limited grape is the final icing on the cake perfecting our amazing  combat model. Of course it will be paired with damage changes and repair tuning.

Captains asking the question "why do you keep tuning numbers in database instead of working on other things" should remember that changing numbers do not require programmers. Our huge team of 2 programmers is super busy with tutorial and ui. 

I propose you tweak the epic ai's speed then right away before this patch drops. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, admin said:

Limited chain and maybe even limited grape is the final icing on the cake perfecting our amazing  combat model.

This + repairs + rum + determined defender. GG. All ships will be at 200% hp and crew at end of battle.... 

• Like 3