Game-Labs Forum

Tagging and the tag circle

Percival Merewether

I've been experiencing problems with the tag circle since it was introduced - I have to be extremely close to tag. The same happens to me when I'm in a group with someone it won't drag me into combat unless I'm almost next to my opponent.

This guy made it into port despite me sailing behind him (inside the circle) for ages before he got close enough to the forts:

https://imgur.com/a/DOVyh

rephrase please
i don't get it

the battle does not start even if you re in the circle everywhere on the map??

Or only when the person tries to enter port? if the person can click the port when being attacked he will get into port more often than not.

Just now, admin said:

rephrase please
i don't get it

the battle does not start even if you re in the circle everywhere on the map??

Or only when the person tries to enter port? if the person can click the port when being attacked he will get into port more often than not.

Sorry.. will do!

I am unable to tag other players unless I am half-way inside the tag circle + I am also unable to be dragged into battle unless I am half-way inside the tag circle.

Like the above screenshot shows I am inside the tag circle but the tag button stays gray - if I get one ship length closer it will start flashing red/gray and when I'm halfway inside the tag circle it turns red. The button will usually stay red until I am outside the tag circle again.

I only have this screenshot of it atm but it has plagued me for a while - I'll try to record it to better show what happens next time I find a player.

What I experienced is that sometimes when you tag, and meanwhile the target sails outside of the tagging circle, it doesnt cancel completely. As soon as you get in range again and hit "attack", in some cases the battle starts instantly without a new tagging timer. Dunno if intended or not

• Like 1

It is most likely caused by the reduction of the attack circle (to allow more pvp and reduce defensive tag effectiveness)
if you have ping difference enemy could be a bit further away from you on the server 

can be fixed by increasing the attack circle back. 

24 minutes ago, admin said:

It is most likely caused by the reduction of the attack circle (to allow more pvp and reduce defensive tag effectiveness)
if you have ping difference enemy could be a bit further away from you on the server 

can be fixed by increasing the attack circle back. 

Would it not be possible to reduce the tag circle visuals to fix it? Thus making the tag circle appear smaller on screen than it actually is. 

I was thinking that it could have something to do with ping as well, but it also happens at low speeds (upwind) which should in theory give the server and client more time to sync.

Edited by Percival Merewether
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ink said:

On the screenshot, is this the closest distance to target ship with not working attack button or it did not work on much closer distance too?

It feels random, sometimes I am halfway through the circle before the tag button is activated, if we assume that this is down to ping and look past it then this screenshot is the most typical example.

I was never close enough for the tag button to turn red though. I have no clue how close I’d have to have been for the tag to work.

Edited by Percival Merewether

Please keep tag circle small for to reduce effectiveness of defensive tag and to ensure better tags and battles in general. 

But are we in need of two circles for tagning in OW again? 1 for taging and the other to show what will be dragged into battle.. I miss it so much! ;)

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

I can confirm there's some severe inconsistency in the way that battle pull/tagging circles are being applied vs. how they render or appear on the client side. It may be due to latency/ping issues, but they may also be a byproduct of strange battle/group mechanics as well.

We've noticed (and F11'd) various issues when in battle groups, tagging other groups or individuals and not being pulled when inside a circle. It seems to be exacerbated when multiple tags and counter tags are running perhaps, initiated by multiple people in the group.. but it's a huge problem and generates a completely inconsistent set of RoE for players.

@adminHappens even with port battle circles, we noticed it the other night at marsh.

Edited by koiz
  • Like 1