Game-Labs Forum

On 3/27/2018 at 7:08 PM, RedNeckMilkMan said:

During the time period it would also take days for this information to spread seeing as how the internet didn't exist.

On 3/28/2018 at 7:01 AM, vazco said:

As for realism - beacons were known since antiquity. We can assume they were used, which would allow to pass a simple information hundreds of miles within hours.

I like to image creative explanations for the game mechanics.  Like pigeons carrying messages.  In NA the pigeon flight speed is proportional to  open world ship speed  ... they fly at about 700Kn.

The suggestion for "players themselves posted at these ports dedicated to typing away on nation chat" sounds like a good option while we wait for the Devs to implement this idea.

Good idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Macjimm said:

The suggestion for "players themselves posted at these ports dedicated to typing away on nation chat" sounds like a good option while we wait for the Devs to implement this idea.

except no one wants to do this. No one should have to play the part of in game entities, the devs need to bridge the gap.

4 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

except no one wants to do this. No one should have to play the part of in game entities, the devs need to bridge the gap.

Except this is exactly what traders are forced to do on a long sail.  Scan the horizon continuously ... unless they want be captured.  I would love to have a look out in my crew. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Macjimm said:

Except this is exactly what traders are forced to do on a long sail.  Scan the horizon continuously ... unless they want be captured.  I would love to have a look out in my crew. 

now theres a good design for a skill book...  Experienced lookout..  gives notice of any player controlled ships coming within range  x of ship using it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moria15 said:

now theres a good design for a skill book...  Experienced lookout..  gives notice of any player controlled ships coming within range  x of ship using it.

This would be the single biggest improvement that could be made to the game.  Trading and sailing is appealing but unless scanning is maintained continuously it is very dangerous. Even a brief distraction can result in getting jumped .   I would make more long distance sails, but I get weary of continually scanning the horizon.  I don't sail AFK, cause I'm in game to make the journey.   It is interesting to track the ship's progress on a map,  using an editor and some of the Naval Action maps that have been developed.  But currently all of the navigation duties and records in the ship's log must be made in hurried quick notes, because a traders attention must never be allowed to wane.

Having an experienced  lookout would be the wonderful addition.  Even if it was for traders only.   Traders who are sailing large slow ships would still be a risk.  For the smaller fast traders like myself, the AI lookout would be a huge improvement that would encourage me to sail farther and more often. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...