Game-Labs Forum

Intorduce yourself!

samba_liten

I see these topics in nearly all forums, but this one doesn't seem to have one yet, so I'll make one!

The idea is simple. Say hi, tell us a bit about yourself. Help us connect a person to your screen name.

So, I guess I'll go first. I'm Fred, samba_liten in-game. Same on Steam. I was born in Sweden, but live in Ukraine. Never sailed in my life. I am here as a history buff, and eager to learn about sailing as part of the experience.

Who's next?

• Like 2

Seaman Stains reporting for duty Cap'n,

My name is Steve, I live in Sydney Australia. Unlike others posting in this thread so far, I have actually sailed. I crewed the modern replica of HMS Bounty from New Zealand to Australia, crossing the Tasman Sea. One of the most remarkable times of my life. I would do it again IN AN INSTANT!

It's scary the first time you go aloft, more so for me than the rest of the "crew" paying passengers. I arrived on the morning of departure, choosing to visit a friend in NZ first, whilst others visited the ship whilst she was berthed in Auckland. Requesting permission to come aboard, they were permitted to go aloft in the rigging whilst berthed. My first opportunity came when we NEEDED to go aloft as we had a tropical storm closing in on us and needed to reef in some sails quickly. Standing on the rope and only hanging on by the handfuls of sail is scary (yes, we were harnessed to the yard, but still...). When you are hit amidships by a big wave, you rock from side to side some 20 metres from one side to the other at a very rapid rate. All this whilst barely hanging on, and some 25 metres above the deck. You might get some idea looking at the attached photo (sorry, I couldn't resize it).  

We (of course) had a diesel engine, and if someone went overboard, you can quickly take in all sails and turn around, but there's no guarantee you'll be spotted in a big swell. The sailors in the Age Of Sail were fondly waved goodbye, as you couldn't turn around. Your possessions were probably already being divided up amongst the crew.

I am an avid gamer, and hope to enjoy many hours playing Naval Action.

See you on the water, shipmates.

post-6995-0-07137000-1420049523_thumb.jpg

post-6995-0-24370000-1420049553.gif

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi im Chromey I never sailed a ship before but can swim away from one if it starts to sink! ;)

I assume you are not a good sailor... those who can't swim will defend the ship longer ;)   (no offense)

Back to topic:

I'm Duke.

I just had my first 3 matches and i think this game is amazing! (had to wait because of the paypal issue)

Looking forward to be a part of this game and the community.

See you in the battle ;)

Commodore Wesley at your service sir!

Although in theory my name is also Lord Commodore Wesley due to my contributions with the Napoleonic: Total War III modification (for Napoleon: Total War), I still don't quite feel worthy of the title.  My real claim to fame there was that I personally created the naval portion of that mod (largely due to my frustration that it was not realistic enough) and spent over three thousand hours beta testing the campaign. 

I've been a fan of naval history ever since I was 12 after I read about the Nelson's Battle of the Nile.  The first computer game (and item to be honest) that I ever bought with my very own money was Age of Sail II: Privateer's Bounty, and as that game did not have a tutorial, I learned how to play that game the good 'ol hard way.  I never played multiplayer on it, but I am sure that by the time that I got it that had already died off.  I never was amazing at line battles, but in truth, who is?  Commanding 30+ ships on your own side is close to impossible and I never could figure out the waypoint system (because there was no tutorial...).  Still, I loved the game but wished that it was more realistic, which started my venture with Napoleon: Total War and the amazing NTWIII modification. 

However, now this game is coming out, I think my dreams have been answered!

I don't own the game as of yet, as I have entered into Bis18marck70's giveaway contest (first time ever for me to write an essay on my own free will), so I have to sit and wait until the end of the weekend to see if I have won.  If I don't win, well, at least I taught him about the sloop-of-war USS Wasp (the one commissioned in 1814 and fought the HMS Reindeer) and practiced citing in Chicago Manual Style.  So, I hope that I win, but if I don't I'm still willing to part with $40 bucks for this piece of beauty.

May the winds be in your favor good sirs!

• Like 1