Game-Labs Forum

Danish brig Lolland, 18 guns, 1810

Not the prettiest ship ever, but I really like this little, ugly duckling and it packed quite a punch:

Plans:

Cross section showing the two different guns carried onboard: left is a 'normal' long 18-pounder, right the short version.

This drawing is one of ten, visualising the waterlines under different angles of sailing. The hull is divided into triangles so the displacement can be calculated accurately.

Dimensions:

Length p/p :                     95 danish feet (100' 1'' according to british measurement)

Breadth moulded:           28'

Depth in hold:                  13' 1''

Draught aft:                     12'

Height of battery             5'

The four 'pihlske brigger' (named after their designer, Jens Pihl) primarily acted as motherships for the gunboats deployed in the war against Great Britain. They were considered as excellent seaboats, very maneuverable, stiff and able to carry a considerable press of sail. According to the replica website, the builders expect a speed under sail of 13 knots.

Armament:

8 short 18-pounders, 8 long 18-pounders, two ships carried 2 6-pounder chase guns, others used the long 18s as stern/bow chase guns.

(The short danish 18s were longer and heavier than british 18-pound carronades and had a longer range. In use from the early 1790s till the late 1840s)

Sister ships:

4 ( Falster 1810, Bornholm 1811, Møen 1815, Frederiksværn 1814)

Service history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMS_Lolland_(1810)

Edited by Malachi
  • Like 8

Four replies and no one mentioned the long 18-pounder chasers fore and aft? :P Oh tempora, o mores....( I blame the control perk)

I had a closer look at the plans and I have to say that ship-class was quite an interesting piece of naval architecture.

The body plan shows a really unusual inversed tumblehome with slightly overhanging sides, probably to soften the rolling motions, not surprising given the heavy armament this relatively small ship had to carry.

Second interesting point is the length-to-breadth ration of ~3.5 while the vast majority of ships of this size had a L/B ratio of 3.8 to 4. This made the brig a more stable gun platform and stiffer , but was thought to decrease the speed (which was probably not the case). It also gave the ship more room to store provisions. I already said that these vessel primarily acted as 'motherships' for the gunboats operating in the waters of the danish and norwegian coasts, providing the crews with warm meals and other needed materials.

Third feature is the underwater hull shape. These waterlines set the standard for danish ships for the next 50 years and were in stark contrast to the french-inspired 'hollow' lines used by previous danish shipwrights like Stibolt:

Lolland-class, 1810, J. J. Pihl

Gefion, 1843, 24-pounder frigate, A. Schifter

Lougen, 1791, 18-gun brig, E.W. Stibolt

So, that´s enough naval geekness for today :P

Edited by Malachi
  • Like 2