Game-Labs Forum
admin

Information on the open world patrol missions

8 hours ago, admin said:

You can sail whatever you want. Meeting larger fleet is possible and was possible before, the only difference now is that you will be rewarded for not running and fighting, and hopefully winning because their enemies might join your side and help you sink them all (they cant run now too).

So if I am sailing in a Trinc and I meet a group of 4th and 3th rates. You are saying that I should be throwing my ship away and giving them gold and PvP marks instead of trying to escape. Might I remind you that sinking gets you NOTHING? (Except maybe a load of abuse in the global channel)

Can I also remind you that in a majority of cases the other nations very rarely will join a side to even things up. They'll either keep on sailing or join on the attacking side.

2 hours ago, Fletch67 said:

If you need to pay people to pvp then is that not papering over the cracks that pvping for many people is simply not that much fun.

9 out of 10 players in PvP OW likes to fight. It didn't take long after eco, loss and tiresome crafting was introduced before 8 out of those 9 were conditioned to avoid loss, and by extension: PvP itself.

I don't know and definitely don't care about "the meaning" of it or how eco will be affected by this.

If you're the tenth that don't like PvP you simply ignore this feature.

It is extremely likely this will work to get the PvP ball rolling. PvE farming will hopefully no longer be the most efficient way to get shiny things and people pick up on those things really fast.

Even if only half the active player base crawl out of their timid shell and start having fun fighting others it will be a thundering success.

• Like 2

Not really liking the you cant leave the PVP mission function. I think you're overstepping the mark on that one, people don't want to be locked into a battle with their prized ships. Make the can't leave timer from join like 20 minutes just so people aren't just peaking their heads in.

• Like 1

My concern is that traders who's primary defense is outrunning their enemy won't be able to do that in these zones. Being able to escape from a PvP battle by outrunning your enemy should always be a viable strategy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

people don't want to be locked into a battle with their prized ships. 

I doubt anyone will bring a prized ship, and those that do will quickly correct their ways.

4 minutes ago, BPHick said:

My concern is that traders who's primary defense is outrunning their enemy won't be able to do that in these zones. 

Traders will simply avoid the active zone, or should.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jodgi said:

I doubt anyone will bring a prized ship, and those that do will quickly correct their ways.

Traders will simply avoid the active zone, or should.

but some of them are along prime trading routes. (tumbado, aves)

13 hours ago, admin said:

Hello captains

Within a week new type of daily mission will appear in game for testing

Rules:

• Arrive to a designated area
  • Deal as much damage as possible to ships located in that area (both players and npc's count), return to the zone if you sink to finish the goal.
    • all damage counts, crew, sails, structure, planking.
  • Receive PVP marks for completion (by claiming in the mission interface)
  • All other considerations are secondary, running is discouraged, ships expendable.

Motivation to fight

• To discourage running, escape is impossible from the battles created within the patrol zone. 
  • Exit is only possible if all enemies are sank
  • Running from battles is punishable by death (your ship is destroyed)
  • Battle zone within the combat instance gives plenty of room initially, but shrinks to 500m Radius by 1h-25 mins to completely remove the desire to kite or sail around

Rewards

Initial mission rewards are set as follows - for testing!: Deal 20000 damage, receive 10 PvP marks
(for reference purpose if you de-sail and destroy a trader's brig you will get 6000 damage)

• Once the basic mission is tested we will we will add tiered rewards which will allow you to receive more rewards if you survive longer and stay in the zone longer.
  • We will also add more things to admiralty stores to spend the pvp marks on (including more ship notes, books and upgrades).

Locations

Admiralty will provide a new patrol area every 24 hours from the following list.

• Nassau patrol: area between nassau and shroud cay - nearest freetown Shroud cay
  • Hispaniola patrol: area in the hispaniola channel - nearest freetown La tortue
  • Tumbado Patrol: area between cuba and tumbado - nearest freetown Tumbado
  • Antilles Patrol - area between aves and antilles islands chain - nearest freetown Aves

With the exception of nassau - other initial locations are in the open water. But we will consider adding more zones or changing locations to areas with more islands if needed. 

I have spent some time thinking about that mission type. While its good to have (more content etc etc) this no running and penalty for doing so, feels like mechanic more from NA-L than NA. I also feel that its better to encourage by rewards players to stay in mission than penalize those who want out. Im afraid that usuall suspects will start showing up around theese missions area with fully stacked up ships (as it wont hurt them to loose their ships as much as casual players) and will just destroy everything on their way. More casual players will feel like cannon fodder for them.

I would maybe allow people to exit the mission but provide them with better reward for fighting against the odds ( like bit more marks for getting their damage done  in ountnumbered battles or maybe some chance for rare drop in situation like that ). At the same time I would allow them to exit battle if they see that its useless to fight against clubbers and look for more enjoyable setup. This way people wil conciously decide if they want to play or leave that group of clubbers to have fun with each other.

Btw does that mission ends with last man standing or last group standing too? Can you enter with your group and when sinking everybody else leave the mission with your group? Hope not?

13 hours ago, admin said:

Motivation to fight

• To discourage running, escape is impossible from the battles created within the patrol zone. 
  • Exit is only possible if all enemies are sank
  • Battle zone within the combat instance gives plenty of room initially, but shrinks to 500m Radius by 1h-25 mins to completely remove the desire to kite or sail around

So, basically sail a disposable oak/oak ship packed with carronades up there and play bumper boats for one battle hoping you get your 20k damage before getting sunk.  Then build another oak/oak ship to do the same, etc, etc.  It doesn't really seem like an authentic PVP experience. 

Still struggling to find a game motivation for risking good ships in PvP, which is what we really need. 

Just now, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

So, basically sail a disposable oak/oak ship packed with carronades up there and play bumper boats for one battle hoping you get your 20k damage before getting sunk.  Then build another oak/oak ship to do the same, etc, etc.  It doesn't really seem like an authentic PVP experience. 

Still struggling to find a game motivation for risking good ships in PvP, which is what we really need. 

Or just do it properly and have a better chance to succeed.

1 hour ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

"Properly"? 

This is the best thing for NA. This will effectively double OW PVP content, the first real step.  No one knows for sure how it's gonna play so lets wait and see and not immediately jump to conclusions.

• Like 1

The best thing for NA would be a solid game incentive to sail your good e.g. Belle Poule into harm's way on some hot part of the map, even when there's little hope of survival.  Something that will make your inevitable sacrifice in time and ship meaningful.  Not mere marks or money, but some movitivation/incentive vital to your clan or nation.  Something that isn't just feeding the enemy a stream of easy profits with nothing to be gained.  This gang bang mission sounds like it will just be crashing hordes of throw-away ships together for easy marks, which is ...something..., but not really the something I'm hoping for.  I'm not jumping to conclusions, but just pointing out that there doesn't seem to be any underlying game meaning to it.   I only keep posting here so much because it feels like there's great untapped potential in NA.  Anyhow, carry on...

Edited by Barbancourt (rownd)
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, admin said:

The old port battle circle of death? Do you lose structure and not HP or do you simply lose all and instant sink after a few moments.

4 hours ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

there doesn't seem to be any underlying game meaning to it.

Any "meaning" always translates to timidness, running and general pvp aversion, we've done this for a long time now.

People who don't like this aren't forced to do it.

15 hours ago, Trash unworthy of the Sea said:

4ea.jpg

All the other OW-PvP? Sounds like a parallel universe where NA has 2k players online around the clock that aren't almost all little sissies that try their hardest to avoid equal fights.

You don't play PVE, you can't find PVP on the OW ... so what the hell are you doing when online?

13 hours ago, BPHick said:

but some of them are along prime trading routes. (tumbado, aves)

Thats a concern of mine too.  Depending on where it is near tumbado getting a trade ship through that gap may now be too risky to bother.

@admin you forgot to mention one xtra thing and that is it is 1 v 1 only

See support for the explantions

Edited by pietjenoob

All you guys complaining about how this will be a gankers paradise completely miss the point. Before this, if you got ganked you gained nothing unless you were able to sink one of the gankers. With this pvp mission you can use a throwaway store-bought or npc-capped ship and get rewarded even if you sink and even if you kill nobody. All you have to do is do damage, any kind of damage!

So let me repeat: even if you get ganked, just fight and you will get rewarded! Regardless of the outcome of the fight! You don't even have to do it in one go, you can sink 3 times  if that is what it takes. Who wouldn't trade npc-capped ships for pvp marks?

Since it's a daily mission (that I assume it will reset each day) I think 20.000 damage is a bit too much.

Feedback on yesterdays patrol missions:

There is a problem where the 'always open' battle can get really unbalanced. I saw a few battles that were really unbalanced but the game would only let me join the bigger side of the battle. Join mechanism should be used to equalize BR somewhat. Also, I think battles should close after 30-40m or something. After 40 minutes of fighting the initial fighters are so battered that they don't have a chance against a group of new joiners. Wind changes combined with the shrinking circle is a really bad combination. In general I think the wind changes too fast and too much, but with circle of doom it can be a RNG death sentence, and has nothing at all to do with skill. Chains still OP

That said, I had great fun yesterday!

Done a few of the shallow ship patrol mission battles yesterday. I joined the side which was outnumbered on every occasion apart from one when the game would only let me join the larger group - not sure why. Generally,  joiners nearly always join the side with the advantage in numbers and most of the fights resulted in being massively outnumbered.  Given, the propensity for ganking the rewards should award damage on the basis of the BR difference. If you join and the balance of power is 2 to 1 you get 100% of value of the damage for ganking (shared between more people) and 200% for being ganked. If it's even, 100% each. If the odds change, change the ratio of the rewards. This will encourage joining the weaker side and improve the fun. A multiplier for the outnumbered, reflects the reality that whilst you can do damage quite quickly whilst outnumbered, you generally do not  last very long, so it seems fair to get more for being disadvantaged whilst it lasts. 

• Like 2

I have participated in 3 patrols so far, playing during evening US time zone.

The one at Nassau was fun. A lot of basic cutters (including me as I didn't have an outpost at Shroud Cay). So we all died... and got a new basic cutter at Shroud Cay.

The one at La Navasse was fun, bigger ships involved but still a lot of trash ships.

The one at Tumbado was less fun as we got fewer players and most of them were store bought ships or even basic cutters so they didn't care to fight much, only interested in getting the 20k damage for the 10pvp marks and since most of them had already died there was no opportunity to get some pvp marks for the kill.

Observation:

For the event in deep water (at least for US players) it seems that most players don't want to use their pretty ship or have already lost their ship and are therefore forced to use store bought ships. The Deep water events seems relatively easy to get the 20k damage even without players around since there are enough AI ships to kill in the patrol zone.

Suggestion:

no basic cutter for events in deep waters, 5th rates should be the minimum.

Edited by Louis Garneray
  • Like 1