Game-Labs Forum

Information on the open world patrol missions

6 hours ago, admin said:

Motivation to fight

• To discourage running, escape is impossible from the battles created within the patrol zone. 
  • Exit is only possible if all enemies are sank
  • Running from battles is punishable by death (your ship is destroyed)
  • Battle zone within the combat instance gives plenty of room initially, but shrinks to 500m Radius by 1h-25 mins to completely remove the desire to kite or sail around

PUBG NA.... I like it. So is the some visible circle in battle that you can't cross without losing your ship? Can you make ships that leave the combat area explode instead of only surrendering automatically?

6 hours ago, z4ys said:

Tbh all the restrictions sound like NAL stuff and are arena like :(

The "motivation to fight" part I actually like alot... just think about it for a moment. If people bring their 5/5 ships stuffed with expensive mods and 15 knot speed, they will have an advantage yeah... but they better be ready to lose that swagboat for real. With those rules in place people will think twice about bringing their best ships or run away from heavy combat built ships in their dirty fir/fir gankboats like little cucks and more people will consider bringing cheap and disposable ships probably... ganking is still a problem but at least gank victims don't have to commit to a 1:30 hour chase in hopes of escaping and since most gankers are low skill anyways, they will be raped and farmed by the real PvP players without a chance to get away. It sounds like a dream to me...

I don't think this system is too bad actually... yeah it's NAL arena like but I'm starting to think, that this can't be helped to stop the time waste of chasing cowards in thier firboats and actually have battles with heavy ships that aren't only about kiting.

1 hour ago, Navalus Magnus said:

Why do we need these strict rules?

It promotes bringing cheap and actual combat ships ( not fir/fir garbage ) and thereby lowers the fear of losing the ship while also evening out the playing field since more people will be sailing cheap ships with disposable mods. I think it is pretty good... what is wrong with it? If you plan on running don't go there in the first place...

6 hours ago, Hethwill said:

I dislike fixed areas. OW hunting for the targets was my hope for this system.

Ah well, guess for a quick test of the feature the system is good enough.

I agree, but as long as the zones are fixed areas I can live with the circle of doom.. I would've prefered the reinforcement zones removed and the missions to spawn in the cap zone instead tho.. just to re-enable econ warfare against a nation again..

1 hour ago, NethrosDefectus said:

You guys really have completely lost the plot, haven't you? It will just come down to whichever side have the biggest ship(s) and the most repair mods. Everything proposed will only ENCOURAGE further ganking.

Like the ganking of groups of 10 fir/fir ships that go for 1 and then run away from equal fight or 5/5 fully pimped gold ships farming carebears with shop ships that we currently see in game? "Biggest ships and most repair mods" sounds more like this would ideally lead to some epic fleet battles? You can not eliminate ganking from a OW MMO game unless you make it so there can only be 1 vs 1 battles in ships of the same BR and this system sounds more fun than the endless chases and fir/fir boat shitter gank squads we have in game at the moment. It is a opportunity to have big fights in ships built for combat with ( hopefully ) good rewards on top in the future. Hardly any more gank encouraging than what we currently have in game...

6 hours ago, Trino said:

But i fear for all the other OW-PVP if there will be massacre zones ... 

4ea.jpg

All the other OW-PvP? Sounds like a parallel universe where NA has 2k players online around the clock that aren't almost all little sissies that try their hardest to avoid equal fights.

7 hours ago, admin said:

Hello captains

Within a week new type of daily mission will appear in game for testing

Rules:

• Arrive to a designated area
  • Deal as much damage as possible to ships located in that area (both players and npc's count), return to the zone if you sink to finish the goal.
    • all damage counts, crew, sails, structure, planking.
  • Receive PVP marks for completion (by claiming in the mission interface)
  • All other considerations are secondary, running is discouraged, ships expendable.

Motivation to fight

• To discourage running, escape is impossible from the battles created within the patrol zone. 
  • Battle zone within the combat instance gives plenty of room initially, but shrinks to 500m Radius by 1h-25 mins to completely remove the desire to kite or sail around

Rewards

Initial mission rewards are set as follows - for testing!: Deal 20000 damage, receive 10 PvP marks
(for reference purpose if you de-sail and destroy a trader's brig you will get 6000 damage)

• Once the basic mission is tested we will we will add tiered rewards which will allow you to receive more rewards if you survive longer and stay in the zone longer.
  • We will also add more things to admiralty stores to spend the pvp marks on (including more ship notes, books and upgrades).

Locations

Admiralty will provide a new patrol area every 24 hours from the following list.

• Nassau patrol: area between nassau and shroud cay - nearest freetown Shroud cay
  • Hispaniola patrol: area in the hispaniola channel - nearest freetown La tortue
  • Tumbado Patrol: area between cuba and tumbado - nearest freetown Tumbado
  • Antilles Patrol - area between aves and antilles islands chain - nearest freetown Aves

With the exception of nassau - other initial locations are in the open water. But we will consider adding more zones or changing locations to areas with more islands if needed. 

When you first mentioned missions, I understood any 2 players can take a mission at any time, and game would direct them at each other. If more will take it, more would be directed to the same area.

What you're describing sounds more like an old PvP event, which you take from a mission menu. My fear is that it will work only on prime time, and everyone who can't attend then will be excluded.

It's best if such things are player-triggered. If there are 2 or more people willing to do this, just let them - and just tell them whether someone will join on the other side, so that they don't loose time for nothing.

Its like paying people to stick their head on a block for other people who are being paid to cut the heads off. If you need to pay people to pvp then is that not papering over the cracks that pvping for many people is simply not that much fun.

People should want to pvp for the thrill of it and for the excitement, however that excitement comes with a chance of winning, and I think  that for many people is lacking. The game is skewed for skilled players to rock up to a nation capital and kill and entire group of people.  You had the pvp zones for the so called big pvp players, what happened? They avoided it because you only found skilled or organised groups there and that's to much like hard work.

I don't know what the answer is but simply bribing people to go out and loose ships is not the answer in my opinion.  Perhaps trading and trade routes should be much more important . Owning ports should be important and trade routes between them could be shown on the map and other players could disrupt trade routes.  There must be ways to make RVR much more meaningful.

How about making rewards much higher for killing skilled players than it is for killing unskilled, so when a player kills a certain number of people they get a flag or a special title on the open world like the Ace tag you could get in fighter ace, killing a person with this flag or title could have a special reward . Also it could be reported in combat news who has earned such a title and there last know location.

Edited by Fletch67
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Trash unworthy of the Sea said:

It promotes bringing cheap and actual combat ships ( not fir/fir garbage ) and thereby lowers the fear of losing the ship while also evening out the playing field since more people will be sailing cheap ships with disposable mods. I think it is pretty good... what is wrong with it? If you plan on running don't go there in the first place...

Those PvP zones would do as a motivation to bring the ships you‘d like to see, because everyone sailing in such dangerous waters has to expect defeat!

These rules are neither necessary nor do they feel right for an OW game imo!

They are arena like!

8 hours ago, admin said:

You can sail whatever you want. Meeting larger fleet is possible and was possible before, the only difference now is that you will be rewarded for not running and fighting, and hopefully winning because their enemies might join your side and help you sink them all (they cant run now too).

So if I am sailing in a Trinc and I meet a group of 4th and 3th rates. You are saying that I should be throwing my ship away and giving them gold and PvP marks instead of trying to escape. Might I remind you that sinking gets you NOTHING? (Except maybe a load of abuse in the global channel)

Can I also remind you that in a majority of cases the other nations very rarely will join a side to even things up. They'll either keep on sailing or join on the attacking side.

2 hours ago, Fletch67 said:

If you need to pay people to pvp then is that not papering over the cracks that pvping for many people is simply not that much fun.

9 out of 10 players in PvP OW likes to fight. It didn't take long after eco, loss and tiresome crafting was introduced before 8 out of those 9 were conditioned to avoid loss, and by extension: PvP itself.

I don't know and definitely don't care about "the meaning" of it or how eco will be affected by this.

If you're the tenth that don't like PvP you simply ignore this feature.

It is extremely likely this will work to get the PvP ball rolling. PvE farming will hopefully no longer be the most efficient way to get shiny things and people pick up on those things really fast.

Even if only half the active player base crawl out of their timid shell and start having fun fighting others it will be a thundering success.

• Like 2

Not really liking the you cant leave the PVP mission function. I think you're overstepping the mark on that one, people don't want to be locked into a battle with their prized ships. Make the can't leave timer from join like 20 minutes just so people aren't just peaking their heads in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

people don't want to be locked into a battle with their prized ships. 

I doubt anyone will bring a prized ship, and those that do will quickly correct their ways.

4 minutes ago, BPHick said:

My concern is that traders who's primary defense is outrunning their enemy won't be able to do that in these zones. 

Traders will simply avoid the active zone, or should.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, admin said:

Motivation to fight

So, basically sail a disposable oak/oak ship packed with carronades up there and play bumper boats for one battle hoping you get your 20k damage before getting sunk.  Then build another oak/oak ship to do the same, etc, etc.  It doesn't really seem like an authentic PVP experience. 

Still struggling to find a game motivation for risking good ships in PvP, which is what we really need. 

Just now, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

So, basically sail a disposable oak/oak ship packed with carronades up there and play bumper boats for one battle hoping you get your 20k damage before getting sunk.  Then build another oak/oak ship to do the same, etc, etc.  It doesn't really seem like an authentic PVP experience. 

Still struggling to find a game motivation for risking good ships in PvP, which is what we really need. 

Or just do it properly and have a better chance to succeed.

1 hour ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

"Properly"? 

This is the best thing for NA. This will effectively double OW PVP content, the first real step.  No one knows for sure how it's gonna play so lets wait and see and not immediately jump to conclusions.

• Like 1

The best thing for NA would be a solid game incentive to sail your good e.g. Belle Poule into harm's way on some hot part of the map, even when there's little hope of survival.  Something that will make your inevitable sacrifice in time and ship meaningful.  Not mere marks or money, but some movitivation/incentive vital to your clan or nation.  Something that isn't just feeding the enemy a stream of easy profits with nothing to be gained.  This gang bang mission sounds like it will just be crashing hordes of throw-away ships together for easy marks, which is ...something..., but not really the something I'm hoping for.  I'm not jumping to conclusions, but just pointing out that there doesn't seem to be any underlying game meaning to it.   I only keep posting here so much because it feels like there's great untapped potential in NA.  Anyhow, carry on...

Edited by Barbancourt (rownd)
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, admin said:

The old port battle circle of death? Do you lose structure and not HP or do you simply lose all and instant sink after a few moments.