Game-Labs Forum

Where did you get your In-Game name from?

Sir Madoc

I use the name I use for all my online gaming since ~03 or 04 I think...  The Ecosse option is for uniqness.  Chainsaw came from an RC car I used to run, had it painted on the side of it as it sounded like a chainsaw, needed something at short notice when registering for something wayback when and I've stuck with it ever since.

Cheers,

Alan

For the first time ever, I chose a different name from my first and only online game name of Griphos. This is the game I've waited for for. The age of sail is a deep and long held passion, so I wanted a name that fit. When I first joined the forum, one of my favorite characters in the O'Brian series came to mind. I thought I'd probably change it once I got the game.

I love names that just invoke the sea generally, such as Leviathan. I thought of names that just invoked ships themselves, such as Chainplate, or Hawsehole. I thought of fictional figures like Billy Budd or Disco Troop or Odysseus. I thought of historical figures, particularly privateers (my likely open world role interest) such as Jean Lafitte, Sam Reid, or Black Sam Bellamy.

In the end, it was a toss up between staying with Mr. Pullings and Black Sam (the Robin Hood of pirates). I couldn't decide, but I know that the fictional Tom got to captain the HMS Bellona, one of the most beautiful and best sailing ships in the game so far, so I just stuck with him. I think of his fictional character as an inspiration in some ways.

There's lots of great naval names left to use. Do a little research and you'll come up with a good one.

• Like 1

The name is a bit from history and a bit from fiction:

One of the supposed true names of Blackbeard (Edward Teach/Thatch) was Edward Drummond (III). So the character William Drummond was to be the fictitious younger brother and successor to Blackbeard. (I played Pirate on Pirates of the Burning Sea)

After making a few extra characters on PotBS (for economy) the "Drummond Family" grew to include Ichabod, Nathaniel, Arabella, (All Pirates on the Roberts server), and Theodore, Horatio, and Archibald (all brits on the Antigua server)

So Historic inspiration with a bit of personal, fictional filling in.

I am Meerkat Messerchmitt for ages now in many games. 
I chose the name because it is quite easy to remember and not in conflict with any brand name,

thats why it is misspelled. I also have a Meerkat Messerchmitt brand shop in "Second Life"

where i sell self build, haandmade and wormfree maritime and naval and military accessories, decoration and buldings since 2007.

(no advertising, just information about 3D models i build and sell) 
"Maritima Shipyard" brand: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/de-DE/stores/16266
"Meerkat Messerchmitt" brand: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/61885?id=61885 

Maybe this is also an information to the devvs that i love and like 3D modelling in general :)

e3d820a8f03b90b61db024c4bbd17837.jpg?127

ad57b3d9943294413f23807f72741ed6.jpg?127

You will also find me in WoT or WoWP with this name :)

I am Meerkat Messerchmitt for ages now in many games. 

I chose the name because it is quite easy to remember and not in conflict with any brand name,

thats why it is misspelled. I also have a Meerkat Messerchmitt brand shop in "Second Life"

where i sell self build, haandmade and wormfree maritime and naval and military accessories, decoration and buldings since 2007.

(no advertising, just information about 3D models i build and sell) 

"Maritima Shipyard" brand: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/de-DE/stores/16266

"Meerkat Messerchmitt" brand: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/61885?id=61885 

Maybe this is also an information to the devvs that i love and like 3D modelling in general :)

You will also find me in WoT or WoWP with this name :)

Yup, I recognized you sir.  I go by triptyx on those forums.

To the OP:  I ran down a list of Captains of the Royal Navy and found a name I liked.  It just happened that Admiral Sir Darby was also at the Nile, and was a fairly distinguished Captain overall.  I find it fun to roleplay a gentleman of the era on the forums, but what you may find fun is up to you.  I do not judge folks by their names, but rather by the conduct.  An extra bonus to a historical name is that you can put some history in your About section on the forums for your chosen name, which can help to further folks' education on Naval History.

I would like to see more non-British names as well.  If you're planning a particular nation, it may be even more fun to find someone from that nation to use as your nomme de guerre.

Way back when, when Navy Field was better than it is now, I wanted a navy related name. So I took to my memory for the first US squadron to come under kamikaze attack, which in reality was "Taffy 3" but, memories being what they are, I thought it was either "Tabby 3" or "Tappy 3" so I chose the name I thought sounded better. Ended up as Tabby. Used the name since.

Two years ago now, I started playign DayZ. After a few months playing, in which I died three times total, I looked for a bit of an addon, to stop being called the "cat guy". So I looked to my favorite sci-fi game, and the Illusive Man has one of the best personal themes. So, Illusive Tabby. And it fits for my DayZ escapades. And Illusive works better than elusive in my opinion as I don't exist. You THINK I was there, but I wasn't. I was no where near you. I didn't exist near you in DayZ. I'm not hard to find because I cannot be found. I wont be found.

I am like a deer in DayZ durring hunting season. A single noise and I am running in the opposite direction. I ran from a fresh spawn while fully kitted out. Not ashamed.

My captains name now is Androctus, which is my Steam name, which I have gone by since I joined AOL back in '94, before they switched to monthly rates. Also used that name on UO, WoW, Quake, WWIIOL (Androc) LOTRO and just about every other game I've ever played online. (Anyone else remember X-Wing vs Tie Fighter on Zone?) It was a name of a character I plucked from a D&D book I read as a kid, don't ask me which now I no longer remember.

I joined PotBS about a year ago and commited to play a Spaniard which I never tried in any other pirate genre game. My FT on Tiggy was Don Alphonso (from Roman Polanski's Pirates!) and my privateer was Don Alvarez, which is Claude Rains' character from the Errol Flynn movie The Sea Hawk.  Its probably what I'll use in game once I can switch. I just like the ring of it.

WWII Onlines Off topic forum used to play various other games so I usually jumped in with Matt6767 or OTMatt. OTMatt sounds better imo. -_-

WWIIOL used to have the best OT forum anywhere, ever. Never a dull moment - Pics with box, Moxin's ex-wife and of course the infamous Alizee threads...

Good times.

• Like 2

I tend to use a name that reflects the setting of the game, In the case of this game I use Captain Collingwood as Cuthbert Collingwood who was Nelson's second in command at Trafalgar is a local figure for me as I was born and live on Tyneside, North East England. He is also one of the naval comanders of the period I admire being a superb seaman and tactician and a fine commanding officer.

I am of the opinion that the period circa 1800 has been dominated by the figure of Nelson and other great naval officers of that period tend to get overshadowed by Nelson and perhaps not given the recognition and credit they deserve.