Game-Labs Forum

Hello,

Steam has added a streaming feature, with the clever name of "steam broadcasting" :D  http://steamcommunity.com/updates/broadcasting

(Beta steam client needed)

I wanted to show the game to some friends so they could decide to buy the alpha version, but it seems it's not working for NA.

Have you tried already ?

Is this related to Naval Action being in alpha stage ?

aAhhryw.jpg

This is basically just spectator mode, where for example, you would watch a DOTA game but now you don't need the client, just a browser. 

It is Beta so I wouldn't expect it to work on much outside of Valve games.

Easier to just go on Twitch and look for streamers there.

However, when I am streaming Naval Action and try to add Naval Action as the "Game currently played" then Naval Action is not coming up as a choice.

I've sent feedback to Twitch in the week before christmas in hopes of them adding it, but so far nothing.

Would help if this was added on twitch since you can then search 'by game' and find Naval Action easily.

This is basically just spectator mode, where for example, you would watch a DOTA game but now you don't need the client, just a browser. 

It is Beta so I wouldn't expect it to work on much outside of Valve games.

Yeah.. no.  It's streaming, like twitch.  It's not spectator mode without a client.  And it "should" work with all games.  It works with Elite Dangerous, which is not even available on Steam.  I've just added it to the client, and my friends are able to watch me play via steam streaming.  With that in mind, it should work with NA, but doesn't. ;)

Haven't seen anything about an NDA since I purchased.  There's tons of youtube video's out there to watch.  I don't see why not.

Yeah.. no.  It's streaming, like twitch.  It's not spectator mode without a client.  And it "should" work with all games.  It works with Elite Dangerous, which is not even available on Steam.  I've just added it to the client, and my friends are able to watch me play via steam streaming.  With that in mind, it should work with NA, but doesn't. ;)

Yea your friends, not public channels organized like twitch. Its much worse overall.

It is kind of a shame when a big company basically takes an idea developed and built over years by somebody else and with so much money just makes it easier and kills the original company. 

They get to cherry pick what works that other people have taken the risk with and make $$$ with little risk off already massive resources. The big chain stores do that here.

I can see twitch almost being killed by this eventually. I cannot be bothered with twitch but will probably bother with this because its just a button on steam.

This will just be another reason to stick with twitch.

Yea your friends, not public channels organized like twitch. Its much worse overall.

Yeah, friends.  People I care about.  I don't give a rats tail about 2000 strangers watching me via twitch.  I can chat up some friends and say "hey, check out this game I'm playing.  It's really cool!" Also, you can make your stream in Steam public, if you so desire. It's much worse overall? how?  And no, it's not organised like twitch, because it's not twitch.  It's organised per game, as you can see here. And here. Let me give you one more for good measure.

It is kind of a shame when a big company basically takes an idea developed and built over years by somebody else and with so much money just makes it easier and kills the original company. 

They get to cherry pick what works that other people have taken the risk with and make $$$ with little risk off already massive resources. The big chain stores do that here.

I can see twitch almost being killed by this eventually. I cannot be bothered with twitch but will probably bother with this because its just a button on steam.

I cannot be bothered with twitch but will probably bother with this because its just a button on steam.

Ok, yeah.  That's why I like it.  It just auto streams on demand if a friend wants to watch (that's how I have it set up).  I had 3 friends that wanted to watch me play NA the other day.  Couldn't make it happen easily, without having to go through the headache of using Twitch.

You just said you couldn't be bothered with twitch?

As to the first part of your post...  So because 1 company already does something, another company can't incorporate their own version of it for their users?  At least Valve didn't buy twitch.  Take Google for example.  They don't just make up their own version of something - they just buy it outright.  Love it or hate it, you want YouTube?  It's through Google now.  I've gone through the headache of setting up a twitch stream in the past just so some friends could watch me play a game I was trying to get them to buy.  Having 0 knowledge of how streaming via twitch worked, it was a PITA.  I got it done, after an evening of reading, setting up, testing, etc.  Don't have to do that any more, and that's good for me.

Yeah, friends.  People I care about.  I don't give a rats tail about 2000 strangers watching me via twitch.  I can chat up some friends and say "hey, check out this game I'm playing.  It's really cool!" Also, you can make your stream in Steam public, if you so desire. It's much worse overall? how?  And no, it's not organised like twitch, because it's not twitch.  It's organised per game, as you can see here. And here. Let me give you one more for good measure.

Well, you ask how it is worse and I will answer.

First twitch is organized by game... http://www.twitch.tv/directory -- Should I spam this link 3 times like you? 

1) The quality is worse

2) Less interaction between the streamer and the audience - Ie giveaways, chat functionality, cams, etc etc.

3) Can only stream the game, cant have downtime etc, swap scenes etc, game is open or stream is off. Basically not flexible.

4) No cams (downside for most people)

5) The game has to be on steam

6) The player can not be payed for advertisements etc letting people make a living off streaming

7) Less options - ie, delays for competitive games.

On top of this its a bad attempt by valve to corner the final part of PC gaming they do not control with what is, so far, a inferior product.

Is it good for letting your friends watch if your in skype or something, yea, is it better or even close to twitch.. no friend.

Someone actually uses the Steam viewing thing?

Personally, when I wonder about a game I will simply do a search on Youtube or Twitch.

If a friend is playing a game and I wonder about it then I will simply ask him over teamspeak or get in my car, pick up a few beers or a pizza, then drive over and see what's going on.

Not sure how Twitch is a hassle. It's the easiest thing ever.... simply search by game, a dozen streamers show up, pick whichever seems interesting and blam; you're watching the game. Easiest thing ever.

As for setting up a stream to Twitch yourself, it takes 10 minutes to set up through OBS, at most, and once it's set up it takes you 37 seconds to start streaming the next time.

The whole Steam viewing thing is to Twitch about the same as that worthless Origin rubbish is to Steam. EA tried to make their own 'steam client' by launching Origin. It's backwards, lacking, annoying and has made me skip more than a few games because I don't want to deal with the Origin rubbish. Now Steam is trying to do the same with their Steam view thing and it's turning out to be just as, if not more, clumsy as the whole Origin failure.

Well, you ask how it is worse and I will answer.

First twitch is organized by game... http://www.twitch.tv/directory -- Should I spam this link 3 times like you? 

1) The quality is worse

2) Less interaction between the streamer and the audience - Ie giveaways, chat functionality, cams, etc etc.

3) Can only stream the game, cant have downtime etc, swap scenes etc, game is open or stream is off. Basically not flexible.

4) No cams (downside for most people)

5) The game has to be on steam

6) The player can not be payed for advertisements etc letting people make a living off streaming

7) Less options - ie, delays for competitive games.

On top of this its a bad attempt by valve to corner the final part of PC gaming they do not control with what is, so far, a inferior product.

Is it good for letting your friends watch if your in skype or something, yea, is it better or even close to twitch.. no friend.

The point I'm making with 3 links is the streams are organised by game, just like Twitch.  Also, I didn't spam the same link.  I gave 3 examples, big difference.

1. quality doesn't appear to be worse.  Spanning less than 480p up to 1080p for stream options. with up to a 3500 bitrate.

2. steam has a stream chat for interaction.  that's it though.

3. you can stream your desktop as well if you desire

4. cams, in my opinion, are terrible.  i dont want to see your neckbeard, and i dont need to see she-gamer's cleavage so she can get viewers.  I want to see the game.  either way, that's personal preference.

5. Elite Dangerous is not on steam, and I can stream it just fine.

6. Fair point - but I don't think this is designed to take over twitch.  At least, not yet.  I guess we'll see.

7. i've never seen a stream that was instantaneous.  usually 10-15 second delay.  but i see your point here as well.

Where has it been stated they're trying to corner the market?  All they did was add a feature to the platform.  Wow.

Yes, it's good for letting your friends watch.  Better in my opinion than saying "here, watch this YT video kthx".  I think this is the whole point really, of the Steam Streaming - Friends.  With the option to watch others if you really want to.

Someone actually uses the Steam viewing thing?

Personally, when I wonder about a game I will simply do a search on Youtube or Twitch.

If a friend is playing a game and I wonder about it then I will simply ask him over teamspeak or get in my car, pick up a few beers or a pizza, then drive over and see what's going on.

Not sure how Twitch is a hassle. It's the easiest thing ever.... simply search by game, a dozen streamers show up, pick whichever seems interesting and blam; you're watching the game. Easiest thing ever.

As for setting up a stream to Twitch yourself, it takes 10 minutes to set up through OBS, at most, and once it's set up it takes you 37 seconds to start streaming the next time.

The whole Steam viewing thing is to Twitch about the same as that worthless Origin rubbish is to Steam. EA tried to make their own 'steam client' by launching Origin. It's backwards, lacking, annoying and has made me skip more than a few games because I don't want to deal with the Origin rubbish. Now Steam is trying to do the same with their Steam view thing and it's turning out to be just as, if not more, clumsy as the whole Origin failure.

Really?  Yeah, a lot of people use it.  We're in a thread about it after all, aren't we?

My (not local) friend asked me about NA.  I can't get in my car, he lives on the other side of the country.  We're already on coms, and he wanted to watch me play it a bit.

Twitch for the viewer is not a hassle at all.  I agree.

Twitch for a first time streamer takes longer to set up than 10 minutes.  By first time, I'm talking - Don't even know what broadcasting software to use.

I'll agree with you on Origin.  I've never installed it, I don't intend to either.  Games exclusive to that platform will not get my cash.  However, how is Steam trying to do the same thing as Origin?  What?  They just added a broadcast feature.  So what? lol..  It's not like you can't broadcast your steam games on Twitch any more.  I just don't understand your thought process here.

• Like 1

Well, With Steam Broadcasting, it's doing what I want : to show the game to some friends... With zero preparation.

That's what Steam offered since the begining : auto updating your games, using only one DRM (steam itself), allowing voice chat (MSN already existed, skype, mumble Raidcall, Teamspeak... and then what ?), uploading screenshots, writing reviews, saving in the cloud your saves, showing your activity to firends, creating groups etc etc. It's a all in one and good product, and guess what, it's a steam game i want to broadcast :P

I don't need webcams, chats or whatever, I'm already on a Teamspeak, mumble or steam chat.

Twich is not that easy to configure, and your are not sure of the result with OBS (I know, i tried), Steam was just done in a second. That's why we all use steam.

I can't use a car i don't have, to ask friends in an other country or away from 700 km to join me drinking a beer.

I don't see the point of arguing I was just asking a simple question, feel free to open a twitch thread and some tutorial (Twitch which has been bought by Amazon, who is tax evading by the way) :)