Game-Labs Forum
Jean Ribault

Developers - Please Remove the Diolkos

Developers, why do we still see AI ships sailing through land in this game?  :rolleyes:

You've got all the shallows and land boundaries figured out for player ships, so why are the AI's alone still sailing through land?  Meanwhile you are rebalancing other minor things to player ships while AI's can sail right through land masses.  We do not have canals in this game, and it appears like we have game features like the ancient Diolkos set aside for AI.

Can we get this fixed?  I'm not sure of the in-game physics that make this insurmountable for you, but it seems ridiculous that we still have it at this stage of development.  Priority is not an answer, because it's so ridiculous and been far too long this way.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Batman said:

I think, @admin actually said circles on land are a feature and working as intended, not a bug.

I see his reasoning, if you can position your enemy hugged up against the coast then good positioning rewards. But circles on land looks silly and unfinished, and cut into gameplay too much when you can't join a battle clearly on water, like you HAVE to join in that circle.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2018 at 3:15 AM, Batman said:

I think, @admin actually said circles on land are a feature and working as intended, not a bug.

Yes. He did say something to that effect. If true, I disagree with that design. It makes no sense. I sort of suspect tho that it's a similar "feature" as AI sailing through land and spawn after battle at the exact location where you entered battle. The game has trouble keeping track of land and locations between battle instance and OW. If these things were fixable surely they would have happened by now. 

• Like 1

Design circles on land are silly, unless players understand completely where the join circles will appear. We did a tag near KPR and the brit join circle was i a mountain....

NO allies could join, we sank....  But how were we meant to know that would happen, and in future I still would have no idea where the join circles will appear....

If when you tag , the battle circle appears, why not ghosted out "Join circles" also appear....?

2 minutes ago, VonVolks said:

Design circles on land are silly, unless players understand completely where the join circles will appear. We did a tag near KPR and the brit join circle was i a mountain....

NO allies could join, we sank....  But how were we meant to know that would happen, and in future I still would have no idea where the join circles will appear....

If when you tag , the battle circle appears, why not ghosted out "Join circles" also appear....?

join circle of you = behind you

join circle enemy = behind enemy

your'r welcome. :)

1 hour ago, rediii said:

Think the direction is the one of the attacker ow wind direction/position at the moment the tag runs to zero. 

One has to test it for one self to get some safety and experience in it.

13 hours ago, Jean Ribault said:

Still doing it.  Pure incompetence.

Or just don't care about quality and common sense.

Well.. you know, small team.. impossible to hand code everything, and impossible for an algorithm to solve... 

Oh.

Wait:

http://bfy.tw/L1vW

Even simpler.. crowd source it and let us hand draw routes on a map. We as a community could probably put in place several thousand routes in an afternoon that they could digitize and randomly assign NPCs to.  But.. you know.. too difficult. 🙄

• Like 1

On 2/18/2018 at 11:11 PM, Jean Ribault said:

But AI thru land can't possibly be intentional.

It's a feature that allows for NPC hunts to be more exciting - will you catch them before they escape through land or not? 

15 hours ago, Jean Ribault said:

Still doing it.  Pure incompetence.

Or just don't care about quality and common sense.

• You know localization is a priority now (everyone is only focused on it). Stabilization of the UI (like adding 2d back for low end machines) and improving the loading of items if you have a lot of them in your hold or warehouse.
  • We also mentioned long time ago that AI routes is a complex issue and will only be handled before the release. 

With your number of posts you have been here for the long time.  You definitely know both points 1 and point 2, and cannot hide behind some statement like "oh i did not know"

Explain your comments about incompetence, caring about quality and lack of common sense Captain! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Well.. you know, small team.. impossible to hand code everything, and impossible for an algorithm to solve... 

Oh.

Wait:

http://bfy.tw/L1vW

Even simpler.. crowd source it and let us hand draw routes on a map. We as a community could probably put in place several thousand routes in an afternoon that they could digitize and randomly assign NPCs to.  But.. you know.. too difficult. 🙄

Same question to you.. 

• You know localization is a priority now (everyone is only focused on it). Stabilization of the UI (like adding 2d back for low end machines) and improving the loading of items if you have a lot of them in your hold or warehouse.
  • We also mentioned long time ago that AI routes is a complex issue and will only be handled before the release. 

With your number of posts you have been here for the long time.  You definitely know both points 1 and point 2, and cannot hide behind some statement like "oh i did not know"

Explain your comments about too …difficult... 

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

We as a community could …..
But.. you know.. too difficult. 🙄

Maybe you as a community could follow the community priorities and understand plans and constraints avoiding snarky remarks that make no sense.

5 minutes ago, Spikes said:

Strange...I recall seeing a different post just a few minutes ago and now it is gone.

I am sure wraith can write a more coherent response than asking a question to a question. 

1 minute ago, admin said:

I am sure wraith can write a more coherent response than asking a question to a question. 

I'm really sorry, I don't understand how my response was incoherent?

Since I was asked to explain I was trying to do so, but I guess spending time trying isn't appreciated. :( 

My explanation was based on the fact that the problem of AI sailing through land was originally reported in 2014 and acknowledged by you in 2015. Since it's still a glaring problem three years later the problem must be too difficult, relative to the perceived benefit, to fix.

Again, I apologize, and if you're going to remove my explanations then you might as well just remove the last few posts in this thread including my original response, and I'll refrain from commenting on the issue further.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I'm really sorry, I don't understand how my response was incoherent?

Since I was asked to explain I was trying to do so, but I guess spending time trying isn't appreciated. :( 

My explanation was based on the fact that the problem of AI sailing through land was originally reported in 2014 and acknowledged by you in 2015. Since it's still a glaring problem three years later the problem must be too difficult, relative to the perceived benefit, to fix.

Again, I apologize, and if you're going to remove my explanations then you might as well just remove the last few posts in this thread including my original response, and I'll refrain from commenting on the issue further.

You just linked us the posts where we said they are going to be fixed someday - and have not explained the reason why you break rule 15 of this forum and attack devs for no apparent reason with your snarky remarks.

We still acknowledge this issue exists but since 20 patches its never got to the priority list.
Other issues were always more important and we always said this issue will be addressed some day before release. The closer release date the higher chance it will be fixed. It was mentioned multiple times. Current priorities lists are always public. People who directly or indirectly call programmers incompetent for not fixing the bots routes when we said we are fixing them later - just spread non-constrictive toxicity and cannot be members of the community

Now you can provide a proper apology

• Like 1

1 hour ago, admin said:

You just linked us the posts where we said they are going to be fixed someday - and have not explained the reason why you break rule 15 of this forum and attack devs for no apparent reason with your snarky remarks.

We still acknowledge this issue exists but since 20 patches its never got to the priority list.
Other issues were always more important and we always said this issue will be addressed some day before release. The closer release date the higher chance it will be fixed. It was mentioned multiple times. Current priorities lists are always public. People who directly or indirectly call programmers incompetent for not fixing the bots routes when we said we are fixing them later - just spread non-constrictive toxicity and cannot be members of the community

Now you can provide a proper apology

I feel my comments in no way "attacked" anyone, that's a pretty strong word given that others used much stronger language in this same thread (I believe you are misattributing the "incompetent" comment to me). I'm very sorry if my comment was perceived this way.

Again, I apologize for my ignorance if you consider any of the language or comments of mine above as "abuse" or "trolling" of Game Labs employees (Violation of Rule 15). Perhaps some clarification of what distinguishes "abuse" from critique would be useful.  I would appreciate you remove all of the posts above if you feel they have violated your rules in any way and accept my truly heartfelt apology since this was never my intent.

Edited by Wraith
  • Like 3

On 3/5/2018 at 5:13 AM, rediii said:

You’re joking right? You know how many times I chase an enemy to fight them. And somehow I end up in front of them when battle commences? The OW map is lagged/ or bugged. And trying to position yourself properly is not even remotely possibly to do accurately.

Examples I can give you screenshots for if you want, but I fee we’ve all experienced this so it’s pointless. I’ve had so many times I was to of the port stern of an enemy OW, and end up starboard bow. Or port stern, ending up starboard stern... it’s a joke. There’s is no accuracy. And for join circles to be in land off something that isn’t accurate is a bug not a feature or brilliant idea.

Edit: Also, @admin @Wraith @Jean Ribault

Per the forum rules number 2 and 8, can we please stay in topic? This topic is about the issue of land being an obstruction to players, and not an obstruction to AI. Please continue rants and/or moderation in PMs. I believe it is detrimental to the constructive conversation the rest of us have.

Edited by Phaserburn
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Phaserburn said:

You’re joking right? You know how many times I chase an enemy to fight them. And somehow I end up in front of them when battle commences? The OW map is lagged/ or bugged. And trying to position yourself properly is not even remotely possibly to do accurately.

Examples I can give you screenshots for if you want, but I fee we’ve all experienced this so it’s pointless. I’ve had so many times I was to of the port stern of an enemy OW, and end up starboard bow. Or port stern, ending up starboard stern... it’s a joke. There’s is no accuracy. And for join circles to be in land off something that isn’t accurate is a bug not a feature or brilliant idea.

Per the forum rules number 2 and 8, can we please stay in topic? This topic is about the issue of land being an obstruction to players, and not an obstruction to AI. Please continue rants and/or moderation in PMs. I believe it is detrimental to the constructive conversation the rest of us have.

That's pretty ironic given the OP's forum topic is about AI sailing through land and not actually about circles. 🙄

4 hours ago, Phaserburn said:

Do you have an ounce of sanity?

I (read it again, yes...) I started this topic.  My post is 100% exactly what I wrote about.

And if you (read it again, yes...) you, can't stay on topic, then leave it.  Trolling is a violation of forum rules, which you are breaking.

• Like 1

I"m not going to dig through all the post, but I remember right after the big wipe and we first saw ships going through land it was said, "It will be fixed before the next big patch."  It's been several big patches since than and never has been touched.   I'll have to go back and dig to find that comment but I'm pretty sure unless it's been removed that was told to us so many of us dropped it.  Dropped it to a point now it's a year or two later and being brought up again. It's something that does need to be fixed before release of this game.  

By the way localization shouldn't take your whole team to do.  It would be one or two folks that know those languages or like other games you could out source it to some one that is dedicated to do only that.  Than have your guys put it into the the game source.   Seems like your spending a lot of time on one part and getting very little results.  Hell I still don't even know what languages was promised we are expecting?  This is why most other games don't deal with Localization until after the game is released.  They get the core game mechanics fixed first (like ships going through land).  

• Like 2