Game-Labs Forum

Here we go again - Potential PvP Mark Farming Part 2

@admin

@Ink

You may investigate this case please. If it turns out as what I think it is you really should think about the level of your punishments against PvP Marks farmers.

pvp_farming.PNG.a57db86dbe2ef3e55bce9ee1ef773400.PNG

I don't think it's just a coincidence that the same names are found here as in the last case:

5 minutes ago, Wraith said:

As per the Tribunal rules I shouldn't be responding here since I'm not a named party in the case. But I can't refrain any longer:

When will this stupidity end?

It's time for PvP marks to go. Remove the temptation or at least minimize the impact by making rewards from PvP/alt farming only cosmetic and not "winner-keeps-winning" in nature.  @Ink surely has better things to do with his time than dealing with with the 9/10 tribunals having to do with alt farming, right?

i say its time that the game correlate IPs, and if it is the same IP location, show the player that sank's name. if they dont have the same location, in real life, then it wont show the player's name that sunk.  That is not saying show us players their IP, that would be a behind the scenes, only available to the devs, sort of thing. Then it is easy to say alt farmer or not, and we know the alt name. I mean who is going to commit a crime in broad daylight when every eye is on them.

10 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Just take them out. They are problematic for a variety of reasons, the least of which is trying to identify and punish the cheaters. Ask yourself why the motivation is so high to do it from a game mechanics standpoint and you'll find the answer.

there was alt farming before hand though too. just not caught as often because of the lack of combat news. Before it was for xp, and resources. I agree that pvp marks, with the way this economy is now, is the only reason to alt farm, however the pvp mark idea is part of a larger experiment me thinks. I believe that this is testing the capabilities and the balances of an admiralty store that encourages, and thus rewards, pvp. If there is no incentive for PVP, and no mass scale player crossing (running into each other on the open world), then pvp will become minimal. So if they take out pvp marks the next step would be to adjust the economy. But that would just encourage pvp farming to get gold at that point, so same problem. Then they would have to test out what i believe to be the solution. Forcing players to be in the same area for pvp. Either by one designated zone that is outside RVR instances of course, or by shrinking the map scale drastically until the player population is large enough to support  a large map. Because here is the reality. I, like the Average working class American, can not spend half a day on the seas looking for some fair fight that will just run away, and give me nothing. I have to put myself in situations where i am ganked to get pvp, or be the ganker. If the seas were smaller, there wouldnt be the time looking for a fair fight that there is now. Thus allowing for more instances of PVP. Without PVP marks. Because I agree, the pvp marks are the cause of such an increase of alt farmers. And clearly banning them isnt changing anything.

45 minutes ago, OneEyedSnake said:

i say its time that the game correlate IPs, and if it is the same IP location, show the player that sank's name. if they dont have the same location, in real life, then it wont show the player's name that sunk.  That is not saying show us players their IP, that would be a behind the scenes, only available to the devs, sort of thing. Then it is easy to say alt farmer or not, and we know the alt name. I mean who is going to commit a crime in broad daylight when every eye is on them.

Doesn't really work that way, using IP as an identifier is not a solution nor is ruining combat news that we all love. :)

6 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

Accounts must be banned, not just some stupid silly warnings/demotions... 

Honestly they need to be strict the first time up specially when it's very clear what some one is doing and be done with it.  Most of these guys aren't PvP/RvR guys that we see in and out every day. 

5 hours ago, OneEyedSnake said:

itd only ruin it for alt farmers

In another game I was mod on we ban an IP form a player used.  Ended up that IP was linked to a college and it banned over 150 players.  You can't just ban one Ip specially if they are part of a school or a service provider that IP is always changing. I can change my IP just by resetting my modem as it will pick up a new addy.  The only common thing would be that you know I'm using Comcast in Houston.  So you ban the IP you ban all of Houston which is how may Million folks that use comcast in this city?  That is why you ban accounts only.

Just get really heavy handed on the punishments and you will see less.  It will allways be there when folks can find an easy way to get around something they will do it.

• 2 weeks later...