Game-Labs Forum

Sail Management IMPORTANT

HI

With the new physics and far more accurate sail percentage effects of square vs jibs it is now more important than ever to control the ratio of square vs staysails ships deployed on the ship in battle

My suggestion is pls add 2 more keys so we can mange our square sails percentage . For example :

We can hit the W key to set sails to 100% (as it is now) but we can also have 2 other keys to increase/decrease square sails ONLY so say we want to go 35 degrees upwind we hit W till 100% and then press another key that is currently not in use (like Y?) to bring the square sails all they down to 0% leaving only the staysails active then use another key to increase the square sails when we're at a better angle to the wind

i think this is not very hard to do . you already have the calculation of how many staysails / square sails are are there and in battle if you suffer damage to your staysails vs square sails will affect your performance either upwind or downwind

• Like 7

Briefly, since this is at least the tenth duplicate of this proposal:

Wasn't done historically, couldn't be done.

If implemented, everyone will realize that NA ships have diesel engines that work except for 10 degrees out of 360 degrees.

napoleon-total-war-naval-battle.jpg

More importantly it looks like shit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Sheppard said:

HI

With the new physics and far more accurate sail percentage effects of square vs jibs it is now more important than ever to control the ratio of square vs staysails ships deployed on the ship in battle

My suggestion is pls add 2 more keys so we can mange our square sails percentage . For example :

We can hit the W key to set sails to 100% (as it is now) but we can also have 2 other keys to increase/decrease square sails ONLY so say we want to go 35 degrees upwind we hit W till 100% and then press another key that is currently not in use (like Y?) to bring the square sails all they down to 0% leaving only the staysails active then use another key to increase the square sails when we're at a better angle to the wind

i think this is not very hard to do . you already have the calculation of how many staysails / square sails are are there and in battle if you suffer damage to your staysails vs square sails will affect your performance either upwind or downwind

I'm agree with you ! It will make more easy to make turns in upwind .

1 hour ago, maturin said:

Briefly, since this is at least the tenth duplicate of this proposal:

Wasn't done historically, couldn't be done.

If implemented, everyone will realize that NA ships have diesel engines that work except for 10 degrees out of 360 degrees.

napoleon-total-war-naval-battle.jpg

More importantly it looks like shit.

actually it WAS done historically every time a ship had to tack .. granted they weren't removing ALL of the square sails but they did remove most of them and they depowered the spanker and trimmed staysails we do not have any of those controls so atleast to lower the ammount of square sails would be nice

we are currently doing this by going in battle sails which helps even 1st rates come out of the tack with 2-3 knots positive speed but going in battle sails has side effect that you lose some of the staysails as well

and no seeing a ship going at 2 knots upwind with staysails would not make me believe that it has a diesel engine coz the staysails work much like an aircraft wing they create high pressure on windward side and low pressure on the other thus pushing the ship away and the hull of the ship or in fact a special pusher plate would help to convert that into forward movement

i see no logic going 50 degrees in wind with those giant airbrakes on (square sails)

9 hours ago, John Sheppard said:

actually it WAS done historically every time a ship had to tack .. granted they weren't removing ALL of the square sails but they did remove most of them

No they didn't.

Clewing up the courses was a labor-saving measure. Ships could and would tack with all square sails to topgallants set. And royals potentially.

and no seeing a ship going at 2 knots upwind with staysails would not make me believe that it has a diesel engine coz the staysails work much like an aircraft wing they create high pressure on windward side and low pressure on the other thus pushing the ship away and the hull of the ship or in fact a special pusher plate would help to convert that into forward movement

Jibs in this game work at like 15 degrees to the wind. IRL these sails would be useless any closer than 45 degrees. And on a square rigger they aren't enough to overcome the drag of the rig and hull.

'Six points to the wind' is the best any square rigged ship can do. As everyone who isn't on this forum knows.

• Like 1