Game-Labs Forum

The Death of a Nation

Nelsons Barrel

Frankly it seems like the server activity dropped without the continued content creation that was the Russian empire.  We generated a metric tonne of battles in multiple regions of the map, in particular the carta area which has since been dead.  Just like it was dead before we attacked down there.  Like em or hate em, the largest spike of players since the early days of the EU/Global split and wipe was during the 100+ players involved in the actions in and around Carta and the 700+ player peaks we would see regularly in those days.  This weekend I barely saw it crack 400+.  This notion that we killed the belize population or any population of players is bullshit.  Prior to our taking of carta we launched the Belize campaign and conquered most of it and yet we still had 700+ player pop spikes while fighting down at carta for a month or 2 later.  This notion we killed off large populations of players is a lie.  No other nation since has had the balls to take on the swedes since, unless you call what KoC is doing at night balls.  It got so boring over there after Russia died that rediii (and multi other long time swedes) changed nations for more content.  Meanwhile shirt birds like Banished on here who offer the population nothing but criticism like to pop bottles over the demise of Russia while they are too busy allying up with any nation that scares them and just club seals over and over while calling it content.  Russia might be dead but he still lost to them a week or 2 ago.  Laugh.

The game overall has seemed to suffer from a lack of RVR content and the killing of a nation that was perhaps the largest content creator for a couple months definitely has stifled a large portion of the activity on the server and our population has seemed to suffer significantly from a lack of things to do (and other reasons).  A large portion of players going dormant through whatever means will have a detrimental effect on a game that has so few players regardless whether or not you like them.  So by all means applaud the demise of the Russian Empire while shooting yourselves in the foot.  Russia took it's shot and it was fun as hell, but when you fly a little too close to the sun you come down crashing.  It was a scenic ride.

Personally I enjoyed my time there and probably would still be over there if we had more things to do.  The flurry of activity from late Nov - mid Feb was perhaps one of the most enjoyable periods of time in the game for myself.  I can't say we've seen very many full 25 on 25 1st rate battles anywhere on the map since, we used to have them multiple times a week down there by Carta.  Maybe one day someone will grow a pair of cojones the size of Russia's and attack some real ports.  Maybe..   until then we'll just enjoy the drama here.  Not much else to do.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Frankly it seems like the server activity dropped without the continued content creation that was the Russian empire.  We generated a metric tonne of battles in multiple regions of the map, in particular the carta area which has since been dead.  Just like it was dead before we attacked down there.  Like em or hate em, the largest spike of players since the early days of the EU/Global split and wipe was during the 100+ players involved in the actions in and around Carta and the 700+ player peaks we would see regularly in those days.  This weekend I barely saw it crack 400+.  This notion that we killed the belize population or any population of players is bullshit.  Prior to our taking of carta we launched the Belize campaign and conquered most of it and yet we still had 700+ player pop spikes while fighting down at carta for a month or 2 later.  This notion we killed off large populations of players is a lie.  No other nation since has had the balls to take on the swedes since, unless you call what KoC is doing at night balls.  It got so boring over there after Russia died that rediii (and multi other long time swedes) changed nations for more content.  Meanwhile shirt birds like Banished on here who offer the population nothing but criticism like to pop bottles over the demise of Russia while they are too busy allying up with any nation that scares them and just club seals over and over while calling it content.  Russia might be dead but he still lost to them a week or 2 ago.  Laugh.

The game overall has seemed to suffer from a lack of RVR content and the killing of a nation that was perhaps the largest content creator for a couple months definitely has stifled a large portion of the activity on the server and our population has seemed to suffer significantly from a lack of things to do (and other reasons).  A large portion of players going dormant through whatever means will have a detrimental effect on a game that has so few players regardless whether or not you like them.  So by all means applaud the demise of the Russian Empire while shooting yourselves in the foot.  Russia took it's shot and it was fun as hell, but when you fly a little too close to the sun you come down crashing.  It was a scenic ride.

Personally I enjoyed my time there and probably would still be over there if we had more things to do.  The flurry of activity from late Nov - mid Feb was perhaps one of the most enjoyable periods of time in the game for myself.  I can't say we've seen very many full 25 on 25 1st rate battles anywhere on the map since, we used to have them multiple times a week down there by Carta.  Maybe one day someone will grow a pair of cojones the size of Russia's and attack some real ports.  Maybe..   until then we'll just enjoy the drama here.  Not much else to do.

I am personally waiting for econ patch + new content and I am sure many people just taking a break or trying new games. Once patch is here I will slowly resume ship crafting business and start sailing. Got my Hercules and that was the most enjoyable content and rewards that I have ever seen in NA history. National chat is quiet lately with 240 online US time. 

Edited by Wind
  • Like 2

Talking about 700 players online @Christendom and the 25v25 battles we had.

in the past, 40 guys was an average you could get for operations like this and you would still have folks sailing around doing different operations, events, or pvp. Now? we are happy with 15 people...

40 people to the US nation is our version of a "CTA" and getting every single person to change their schedules to be in line for port battles or large scale conflicts, yeah....it doesn't happen often, if at all now.

no new content? less players
content we have is not finished or boring? less players
groups either too strong or too weak? less players

it's not the players fault, it's just there isn't much to do outside of 1 or 2 things. Now I know those 1 or 2 things (PvP and trading/money-making) are the cornerstone to what the devs want. Devs want folks to PvP - but the majority of players need a reason to PvP. I know some players enjoy it just because that's what they enjoy, but so many others enjoy PvP for what advantages and rewards it gives them, not just for the thrill of it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wind said:

I am personally waiting for econ patch + new content and I am sure many people just taking a break or trying new games. Once patch is here I will slowly resume ship crafting business and start sailing. Got my Hercules and that was the most enjoyable content and rewards that I have ever seen in NA history. National chat is quiet lately with 240 online US time. 

Yea I enjoyed the herc test thing.  It was nice having fresh new content in what is normally a very stale game.  I wish there were more weekly quests of a similar nature that we could do and get random goodies.

Grats on passing btw, I saw it on nation the other day.  I think with you and tiargo passing have 100% pass rate in the clan among active members now.  Not bad

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Yea I enjoyed the herc test thing.  It was nice having fresh new content in what is normally a very stale game.  I wish there were more weekly quests of a similar nature that we could do and get random goodies.

Grats on passing btw, I saw it on nation the other day.  I think with you and tiargo passing have 100% pass rate in the clan among active members now.  Not bad

Thanks, man. Weekly content like this with different scenarios would be amazing. 

19 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

It could easily be said that you were a huge cause of that drop. So....

Well if we did cause it, it was the brits leaving, and if it was the brits then no one has any right to bitch because they never bothered to defend anything after georgetown and turneffe were taken. Not our fault if people dont wanna lose ports and quit when they do but at the same time make no effort whatsoever to play the game and defend them. I get that they weren't the best but thats no excuse to not even try. You guys ended up taking most of those ports back towards the end and with the exception of one or two it was done by guys that were trying to learn seemingly without any help from vet players.

Edited by Potemkin
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Potemkin said:

Well if we did cause it, it was the brits leaving, and if it was the brits then no one has any right to bitch because they never bothered to defend anything after georgetown and turneffe were taken. Not our fault if people dont wanna lose ports and quit when they do but at the same time make no effort whatsoever to play the game and defend them. I get that they weren't the best but thats no excuse to not even try. You guys ended up taking most of those ports back towards the end and with the exception of one or two it was done by guys that were trying to learn seemingly without any help from vet players.

That's kind of what happens when you use exploits to avoid screeners as there's no point in bothering to fight.

• Like 1

It's a sand box game. Or at least it's supposed to be. So the ultimate goal is player created content. Honestly my eyes start to roll into my head these days reading the forum complaints of not enough content. You are supposed to be the content makers in a sand box. Most of the guys that have risen to leading the current nations just suck at it.

for example, just read the thread above. When players decided to wage a campaign at Carta area players created a big bad nasty nemesis of content. Other players rose to band together and fight that. 700 players had fun. But then one side won the campaign. Then you didn't know what to do next. Some went to other games and some just complain about not enough content. But they don't create more.

The sand box mmo world is cyclic. Power block group form, dominate and eventually either fade away or catastrophically collapse. Then others need to rise to take their place for the content to continue. Long term alliances and peace really screw up RvR war games. Once campaigns are over the alliances all need to be wiped. Player base tends to shuffle on its own following a collapse. Some group needs to take the bull by the horns and create the next campaign by setting new goals for its nation.

Anyway, you get the idea, we won't have fresh battle content until some of us creates some.  I would suggest the game needs a new villains and new heroes. Someone needs to step up.

Edited by Bach
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

That's kind of what happens when you use exploits to avoid screeners as there's no point in bothering to fight.

Oddly enough, I never did see you or RSC down in the Belize area to help defend after you guys lost at George Town.  It's curious you seem to care about it now, because you sure didn't seem to mind then about the fate of the Brit nation.  Wasn't the motto of you and your friends at the time Hachi/Otto "screw the carebears"?  But right...now you care.  Is this the same guy who was in a fleet with the EXILE guys to screen in the SALTYP pb fleet at Ambergrease and you guys just said screw it and joined a battle leaving the PB fleet to get tagged in by 5 Russians and get sunk to the last man?  I remember asking Otto about it afterwards and his response was "fuck them".  But yea now you have fake outrage about all the poor brits you never helped defend down in belize.  What a joke.  

Also feel free to prove your exploits whine.  If you'd like to lobby accusations please post them in the tribunal section. 

And really, how you would you know what methods were used to avoid screening......you weren't there.  We purposely triggered PBs down in that area so we could fight the screeners and sink them.  Even when we went after RSC shallow ports in the gulf you wouldn't show up.          

2 hours ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

@Christendom Hard to say if online dropped because of the downfall of the griefing empire or the RvR changes 

It's both, and I did throw in there that there were other factors also. 

Fact is that the pop dropped considerably prior to the RVR changes in the weeks after Russian stopped being active and once the increase in port costs patch happened, it sealed the deal.  Russia was long dead before the RVR changes if you recall.  If you think that the demise of Russia didn't have a factor in the overall number of battles and general RVR activity on the server dropping you're a fool.

PS - while it's cute to call them the griefing empire, lets all remember that amidst all the claims and accusations throw around against Russia....the only actual punishment handed out based off tribunals was in fact towards you and your band of friends for questionable green on green tactics used against russia.  Albeit just a warning.  Tale care throwing those stones around bud.

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Nelsons Barrel said:

why not both?

Both ofc matter, But my money is on the RvR change. That is atleast the main reason that DNP & friends stopped. Just tjecked the members list yesterday. We had 23 players that had been online within 24 houres, all plsyers that in some part is part of oure Pb team. ICP, DS and Danve still also have 6-8 players fir the PB team, and yeth Dont do RvR. My guess is that BF can get 20 players. But neither pb fleets do RvR at the moment. 

Edited by staun

5 hours ago, Admiral Horatio Hornblower said:

Russia and Northviking were like a poisson for the server, like Vicious on his day.

Unfortunately we still have his friends but this time playing as spantards, willing to continue the north´s legacy: conquering and pissing off everyone, including their own allies.

No they were not. They played a war game and played it well. Only sad thing, was they quit to fast.

Still remember the Pb, they didn’t win because of 2 points. We had a great fight against them. 

• Like 1