Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum

Recommended Posts

I read somewhere in regatta's rules that if I am upwind to my enemy, and close enough to his ship, I will "steal" him wind. As a result, I am faster than my enemy and he cannot even making good maneuvers. I tried yesturday with NPCs, but the ship were always faster than mine. I tryed with a basic cutter against a rookie brig. 

It seemed to me that didn't work, but I am new to the game and could have made mistakes. Is this Stealing Wind Technique implemented or not?

Edited by blubasso

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You cant take away windforce in game

But "stealing the wind" is often referred to getting out of a downwind to upwind position so you can dictate the battle

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Liq said:

You cant take away windforce in game

But "stealing the wind" is often referred to getting out of a downwind to upwind position so you can dictate the battle

In other words control the wind (best wind) of the battle you tend to have an advantage.  Though there was means to steal wind RL but it's not something put into game. Even than you have to be right on some one's arse to do such any way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The concept of stealing wind or rather turbulent airflow for the leeward ship has been discussed. It was decided it was too much of a tool for griefing. Keep in mind flight sims don't model wake turbulence, most of them don't even model ground effect.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I told in other posts, I'd like to be a sailor, before to be a warrior, like in War of Thunder I try to be a pilot rather than a hunter. All I have to understand, is what I can (or cannot) do In this game related to maneuvers and the implemented stuffs. Sometimes I don't shoot at all and try to place myself in the best position or I choose some trader (with best wind), to pursue it upwind and so on. That's the reason why I am "loosing" some time without fighting. 

Edited by blubasso

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blubasso, it all starts in the OW position when the attack counter ends, and as others put it, how to develop the fight to keep yourself in control of relative position to your opponent.

It is not as intricate as it could be though. There's no definite problem with being leeward from your opponent ( albeit more open to leaks due to heeling ) and you can still keep it in check.

But being upwind ( in game terms you stole the wind ) gives you more flexibility.

Will come down to experience, very much like a flight sim ( non arcade shooter ).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In combat flying sim is a matter of energy, both alone as in WW1 flight sim or in squad, with your second wing, in WW2 flight sim: loosing energy when you point your nose up, gaining energy when you dive and this happens with all axis (X, Y and Z). Never be without energy in a duel, especially in boom & zoom fight.

Here is the same concept, but I have to understand how a ship behave and yes: it comes with experience.

 

Edited by blubasso
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2018 at 11:14 AM, blubasso said:

As I told in other posts, I'd like to be a sailor, before to be a warrior, like in War of Thunder I try to be a pilot rather than a hunter. All I have to understand, is what I can (or cannot) do In this game related to maneuvers and the implemented stuffs. Sometimes I don't shoot at all and try to place myself in the best position or I choose some trader (with best wind), to pursue it upwind and so on. That's the reason why I am "loosing" some time without fighting. 

If you want try to be a pilot (virtual pilot) don't play at WT, maybe try with Il2 or DCS. For the WWI, Rise of Flight is really good in physic. ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12.2.2018 at 10:41 AM, jodgi said:

The concept of stealing wind or rather turbulent airflow for the leeward ship has been discussed. It was decided it was too much of a tool for griefing. Keep in mind flight sims don't model wake turbulence, most of them don't even model ground effect.

I'm sorry, but as an flightsimmer I can tell you at least one Flightsim that models it. Not making a point on these mechanics in this game though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Nuntius Mortis said:

at least one Flightsim that models it

I'm curious as I haven't tried them all. X-Plane has the only decent model of ground effect but is there any sim that models wake turbulence? Most sims even have very crude and painfully obvious scripted departure (stall, high or low speed) behaviour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jodgi said:

I'm curious as I haven't tried them all. X-Plane has the only decent model of ground effect but is there any sim that models wake turbulence? Most sims even have very crude and painfully obvious scripted departure (stall, high or low speed) behaviour.

Well, I can't speak for civilian sims since I have no experience in those. But I can speak for combat flight sims, for example the Il-2 new generation series (il2sturmovik.com), and for Rise of Flight. For RoF I have evidence too ;)

Check out this old video of that great game: https://youtu.be/o3tJlFsGRSE

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2018 at 5:14 AM, blubasso said:

As I told in other posts, I'd like to be a sailor, before to be a warrior, like in War of Thunder I try to be a pilot rather than a hunter. All I have to understand, is what I can (or cannot) do In this game related to maneuvers and the implemented stuffs. Sometimes I don't shoot at all and try to place myself in the best position or I choose some trader (with best wind), to pursue it upwind and so on. That's the reason why I am "loosing" some time without fighting. 

The best combat aces were both. 

Richthofen was a hunter and a pilot.

Bong, a patient hunter and a excellent pilot

Boyington, aggressive hunter and a excellent pilot.

 

This holds true in naval combat. 

Cochrane was a hunter and a great leader, this is why he was successful when set to fail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×