Game-Labs Forum

New Player Exeprience - 3 v 1???

I am seeing repeated complaints of players getting their first 6th rate ship, and doing the lowest level 6th rate missions and facing 3 enemies...

That's a good way to take the first real upgrade away from a new player.  Missions are supposed to start out easy and get harder as the player gains experience and skill.. not the reverse like we see in NA today.

Lots of players can post tips and suggestions but the majority of you (especially in this forum) can no longer put yourself in the new player's shoes...

• Like 6

Admin mentionned that soon with the tutorial done, there will be "Exams"

Captain logging into the game the first time will have to pass the tutorial and challenges. The structure of the tutorial:

• Basic knowledge that unlock the challenges
  • Challenges. Captain who finished the challenges will receive First lieutenant rank and will be able to sail a square rigger right from the start. (some ranks will be rebalanced as a result)
  • M&C Exam. Complex and hard Master and Commander if completed will grant the Captain M&C rank and will give a unique permanent redeemable ship. 

Edited by Liq

2 minutes ago, Liq said:

Admin mentionned that soon with the tutorial done, there will be "Exams"

These players have to fight 3v1 right now in 6th rate missions, tho. Very frustrating moments you have to go through as a new player. Not exactly encouraging to stay in the game.

Edited by Batman
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Batman said:

These players have to fight 3v1 right now in 6th rate missions, tho.

if its still the same rookie brigs that used to be in those, then I cant see the issue, takes like 2, max. 3 broadsides of double ball to take out out in a merc / snow - they got way less armor / guns, also crew

2 minutes ago, Liq said:

if its still the same rookie brigs that used to be in those, then I cant see the issue, takes like 2, max. 3 broadsides of double ball to take out out in a merc / snow - they got way less armor / guns, also crew

For you should be easy, for me will be a real challenge... And of course I suck in this game: I am a newcomer. Try please to be in my shoes: I know little of game and I have to fight against 3 enemy ships. Yes: I have to do and do and do and do this mission until I understand what I have to do to win.

I am a newcomer, just like the tons of newcomers that will come in future, when the game will be finished. If you think like so at we newbe, plz, don't try to help us. We will learn alone :)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Liq said:

In the higher level 6th rate missions I was fighting Renomees in the 5th rate mission I was fighting Mercury's It makes 0 sense how they have implemented missions.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Liq said:

You are looking at it from a veteran player POV, Liq. If you just had made enought money to buy your first brig from NPC and in the next mission you have to fight three enemy ships of the same tier. You play this game for 2, maybe 3 hours, no tutorial (well, a very basic combat tutorial), no tooltips, maybe nobody in help chat, very basic UI.

Suddenly, you are heavily outgunned and outnumbered in a basic pve battle. These things frustrate new players, they leave and never come back.

Famous example is @rediii's brother. He told his story a few times, if I recall correct.

Edited by Batman
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, SKurj said:

I have been advising players that run into this to F11 and report it btw.

Advise them to spend some time in lower level missions and upgrade a ship. Once upgraded they will take on those ships with ease. Or skip that level mission completely. 
we are not yet fully decided on missions (they might not exist in their current form in the future). 

currently missions are just - extra NPCs instead of open world. We want players to hunt in the open world. 

• Like 10

I think one of the problems i been seeing is folks don't understand that fleet missions are meant to be done with a fleet.  Maybe drop the first two rank fleet missions and only allow you to do them one you get a certain rank or something?

If you remove the missions we need more AI in OW, I actually wouldn't mind seeing more low level AI to be honest. I'm trying to grind up some small ships and it's a pain when I want to try to find good mods from OW ships.

37 minutes ago, admin said:

we are not yet fully decided on missions (they might not exist in their current form in the future). 

currently missions are just - extra NPCs instead of open world. We want players to hunt in the open world. 

Do whatever you want, but - please - now that there is actually some fresh blood in the game (at least in my faction) do not scare them off with some "hardcore turn"

33 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I think one of the problems i been seeing is folks don't understand that fleet missions are meant to be done with a fleet.  Maybe drop the first two rank fleet missions and only allow you to do them one you get a certain rank or something?

If you remove the missions we need more AI in OW, I actually wouldn't mind seeing more low level AI to be honest. I'm trying to grind up some small ships and it's a pain when I want to try to find good mods from OW ships.

No one is talking about fleet missions ITT.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, admin said:

Advise them to spend some time in lower level missions and upgrade a ship. Once upgraded they will take on those ships with ease. Or skip that level mission completely. 

i stil lthink we need more npc on ow for that . but since i just deleted my char and made a new one a few days ago , i might just test that. see how far i get without doing missions , eventhough i am just on the pve server.

Edited by BoomBox

6 rate 

3 vs one

is a bit on the painful side for rookies indeed 

especially if they are starters and don't know what they are doing 

and sailing default ships..  

a rookie is not thinking let's skip this battle , he has there a 75 %  sinking rate .

especially the  rookie snow he encounters are doomsday for the rookie (those rookie snow guns are hitting extremely accurate :)

well ....they have to sink also... (but not every time i quiss) 

Edited by Thonys

5 hours ago, admin said:

we noticed 

tripled my load on repairs  :)

buc and pavel -vs- 2 bellona ,a pavel,and 3 constitution 

pve mission is more a realistic and critical battle now...and not to take it as a easy battle 

Edited by Thonys

8 hours ago, Batman said:

These players have to fight 3v1 right now in 6th rate missions, tho. Very frustrating moments you have to go through as a new player. Not exactly encouraging to stay in the game.

When my mate got into the game he couldn't even board a AI Trader brig, while I was thoroughly explaining it to him... maybe he is just an idiot but new players still need some easy start to get into the game, if they are meant to stay...

9 hours ago, SKurj said:

I am seeing repeated complaints of players getting their first 6th rate ship, and doing the lowest level 6th rate missions and facing 3 enemies...

It's been like that for a long time.  I never do missions.  Always go for Open World AI so you know what you're getting into.  Find a spot where 7th Rates and lone Brigs spawn in Open World and sink them repeatedly. 

So I just tried the infamous "impossible 3 ships 6th rate mission" - In a storebought ship with basic upgrades (dropped by mission npcs) and skillbooks you can get for combat marks. No "Gear-Warrior" excuse there.

eMEr1gN.jpg

Got me against 2 rookie snows and 1 rookie brig. as expected. So I focussed the rookie brig first, because I knew he had little HP - 3 broadsides of double ball do the job.

I think the most important thing players need to learn doing those missions is that a ship only needs to lose one side to sink - shooting both can be a waste, especially when they dont try to protect their weak side. This can also become handy when moving to PvP - Try to focus on one side, and work on the rigging / masts when the healthy side  is shown. Of course if the player is clever he will know to not show his weak side, but thats another topic.
And of course: Angle yourself! Don't take unnecessary damage.

Overall it didnt seem too bad to me. Perfectly doable, even in storebought ships with very affordable "gear".

m0QU6Yk.jpg

Just now, Hethwill said:

5 knowledges :)

I'd say the average for the fellows going through it will be 2 slots, but the tips are great. 

Thanks.

knowledge slots are not essential for pve -they just help to speed it up. You can play much slower, but I Just wanted to get done with it - took some unnecessary damage in the process, but completed the mission faster.

With 1 - 3 slots you should be fine aswell, most of those books I equipped are just "nice to have"