Game-Labs Forum

Hello everyone, I just want to share my 2 cents here what I usually do from time to time. To begin with, I know the ganking is a part of this game and I am not willing to forbid it or remove, just to limit it. Recently with the latest patches, ganking is getting out of control. For the past months, I tried to use teak ships to have a nice balance between speed and HP/tankiness - instead of modding all ships for full retard speed using speed trims, cotton sails and other stuff that makes you weaker in combat. It was pretty decent, I was able to get away from gank/revenge fleets even in heavy slow ships, with a use of my skill and knowledge. Then things begin to get worse and worse... Let me list changes and things that ruin OW PvP, promote ganking etc.:

• Reduction of OW speed boost after battles. It was fine when first introduced, now it makes very little difference. Revenge fleet just forms a circle in x radius around the battle and you will get tagged again and again and again until you run out of repairs or reach a port or call your friends to gank the revenge fleet... 
  • Turn rate with speed boost after the battle. This was an issue always for big ships. Let's say my ship was facing East when the battle started and I want to run West. Before my Bellona turns West, my speed boost will end. Big ships besides speed boost should also get a turning boost.
  • Sail Force. It's a cancer of PvP, as you're faster than the enemy in OW, but slower in battle. It creates a never-ending circle that you tag someone in OW, but he gets away in battle. Repeat X times until someone gets bored or dies or luckily gets away.
  • F11 coordinates in battle. Not a big fan of F11 coordinates overall, but especially in battle. Players that use them in battle usually do that to call more friends to reinforce him. It should actually require more skill and feeling to estimate your location.
  • Safe Zones. I am not against them, not a big fan either but I understand their purpose. Give a place for players to recover, rebuild, fall back etc. Then why the vast majority of players stay in safe zones? I would love admin to share some data if it's collected, how many pirates spend their time around Mortimer, how many Brits around KPR etc. That's not the intention of the safe zone to make everyone stay there... and players ask why everyone comes to PvP in safe zones... If everyone is in the safe zone, then gankers and hunters and PvPrs go there too... Not even mentioning the failed design of Safe Zones where usually newbies and rookies get killed. There are huge gaps in safe zones and rookies/newbies attack also NPC fleets and get killed. Design fails its purpose, it does not protect rookies and newbies, it only protects Rear Admirals that know how to hide in them.
  • Speed Meta. Devs reduce base speeds of ships, OW etc. but they keep adding more and more speed mods to the game. It would be much better at this point to limit one permanent slot for speed only, one for thickness etc. No stacking allowed. Same for knowledge, one knowledge for speed only. Then we need to balance speedy gank fleets of fir-fir ships. Fir-Fir builds should have weaker masts just like caguarian/live oak have stronger masts. That would be a good start. 
  • Demasting issues. I am a big guy when it comes to demasting and I often demast entire fleets when I get fights like 1v6... but that thing is getting out of control as well. Mast HP buff, good, very good. Mast thickness drop? Very bad... We are going back to full demasts, taking down entire masts from the bottom. Mast thickness was fine before Patch 16. Shooting hull should be always more important than demasting.
  • Wind changes. Admin said that wind changes are supposed to promote more fighting than running. Sounds cool, but what about fights when someone is trying to gank you? Fights 6v1, you're getting away from enemies but suddenly wind changes 180 degrees pushing you into the enemies and... you're done... Is it a good thing to force 1 player to fight the "gank fleet"? That's a question admin should ask himself. That's not promoting fighting, it's promoting ganking. Also... why do we have super accurate stern chasers? To give a chance to escape from such gank fleets most likely. Super accurate stern chasers and wind changes are 2 contradictory game mechanics. 
  • Signaling Perk... or lack of it. 

That's my 9 cents (too much to call it 2 cents). From now on, my only PvP activity is sailing around capitals in safe zones and ganking/seal clubbing in 2v1, 3v1 fights while using super fast 14-15 knots ships. Chaining, demasting, rage boarding and running away from revenge fleets. That's the only way, the only path that current development leads to. I will attack low ranks and seal club them without any regret from now on. I will gank people 3v1 without regrets (besides my friends, that I have respect to). The reason behind it is because I got ganked far too many times in past weeks compared to past months and it's getting worse. If I can't fix it myself, maybe by spreading the sickness of ganking and exploiting it Devs will feel the need to fix it. More and more people will complain about it soon.

o7

Banished Privateer

Edited by Banished Privateer
  • Like 3

other things are worthy of a discussion, but the mast thickness needs an immediate hot fix IMHO.

UX_SHLQiQ06nyvZMJiUzSA.png.bfe90e46215f5937d52f04c199f2a56b.png

eyes on the last sentence

The Issue i see through all the years is that when it comes to a 5vs1 the pot size is splitted between the 5 guys but in that case the pot shouldnt be so big anyways. Instead of the 1 guy beeing worth 5 marks for example he should only be worth 2 pvp marks. Furthermore BR should play a role as well.

So

Pot size = equation that should contain BR ratio and player Ratio

instead of

Pot size = BR only

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

@z4ys BR to BR ratio, not player ratio. 

Player ratio is important as well.  2 ships half BR of 1 guy still have it easier as the one guy.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Player ratio is important as well.  2 ships half BR of 1 guy still have it easier as the one guy.

I would disagree. Santissima vs 3 Agamemnons seems like an equal fight, with a high chances for Santissima to win if a player is good. 650BR vs 750BR

Surprise vs 3 Princes (140BR vs 150BR) Surprise should win easily.

Edited by Banished Privateer

3 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

I would disagree. Santissima vs 3 Agamemnons seems like an equal fight, with a high chances for Santissima to win if a player is good. 650BR vs 750BR

I think you just agreed :)

11 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Let us assume we are all pros. Then the 3 aggs will have an easy game. Therefore we need the player ratio as well. Game should promote fighting outnumbered.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, z4ys said:

just lets assume we are all pros. Then the 3 aggs will have an easy game.

Sorry, but I can't agree. Santissima can mount 42pd carronades on weather deck (a lot of them) and double ball broadside can eat entire side of aggy. One broadside can demast bottom section easly. Have you seen my "3 Broadsides Tutorial"? Santissima is a killing machine. If you want to stern rake me, you risk getting fully demasted or (if you want mast thickness buffed or whatever your statement on demasting is) full broadside of chain will bring Aggy down to 60% sails if not less. Not long time ago I put a Victory into a rigging shock with chain broadside from Santi. I would have a lot of fun against 3 Aggies in Santi :)

6 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Sorry, but I can't agree. Santissima can mount 42pd carronades on weather deck (a lot of them) and double ball broadside can eat entire side of aggy. One broadside can demast bottom section easly. Have you seen my "3 Broadsides Tutorial"? Santissima is a killing machine. If you want to stern rake me, you risk getting fully demasted or (if you want mast thickness buffed or whatever your statement on demasting is) full broadside of chain will bring Aggy down to 60% sails if not less. Not long time ago I put a Victory into a rigging shock with chain broadside from Santi. I would have a lot of fun against 3 Aggies in Santi :)

Were you fighting pros or noobs? Your vid looked like you were fighting noobs. Ofc a pro will win a 3 vs 1 but we have to assume that all players have the same skill lvl. Do you want to promote mass small ships vs 1 big ship?

Edited by z4ys

1 minute ago, z4ys said:

Were you fighting pros or noobs? Your vid looked like you were fighting noobs. Do you want to promote mass small ships vs 1 big ship?

Sailing big ships requires a skill. When I see a RA 1st rate getting rekt by a Prince or Snow, all I can do is laugh. 50BR vs 650BR, but hey, it's 1v1. Pros vs pros, big ships have a high chance to win, but fight is pretty equal, thus I see no reason for player ratio.

Right 

So my two cents here. We recently returned to the game and it was obvious from a very early stage that there was a large number of players which enjoyed sitting just outside of the safe zones and jumping anyone who happened to go out of it. Often ambushing them in their Mission. For the week or so we found that our new and returning players were being jumped by so called 'elite' players sailing pimped out ships that would often outnumber us 3/4 - 1. 

We had no hope of matching these players who had obviously had a lot more experience recently than us, knew the new mechanics better and also had ships which we at the time were unable to get. In order to counter this rather than attempting to take on said players on even terms, we adapted. We used the same tactics we had previously used against the larger British fleets back in the day and we begun to draw the players into traps and then do what Pirates do best... Play dirty. 

So over the course of the last two weeks we have had a rather large amount of success with the new way we play. We have gained a huge amount of new players who are gradually getting better and learning and have on multiple occasions dealt some very large blows against these 'elite' players. 

Ganking is never fun for the person who receives. When we came back it was us who got jumped repeatedly by the same players who are now complaining about being ganked. If you are going to sit outside of a safe zone by a Capital city, do not expect the enemy to play fair. We will NEVER play fair. We will NEVER give you an even fight. Why would we? This is not an arena game. 

Edited by Kutai
  • Like 1

Just now, EliteDelta said:

@Kutai Most of the issues listed are not directed at one nation/clan. They are just mechanic issues. 

That is very hard to believe considering who is saying it and from conversations that have been extremely prevalent within the Global chat recently. All headed by the same people who are the largest culprits of 'seal clubbing' and ganking people. Now the tides have turned it is somewhat sad but not completely unexpected to see these people running to the forums. 

If you do not want to be ran down by a larger fleet, do not sit by a Capital city jumping traders and new players. You will end up having an organised fleet form at some point and run you down. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kutai said:

We will NEVER give you an even fight. Why would we? This is not an arena game. 

Well, simply because uneven fights with foregone conclusions are really boring. 

• Like 3

Just now, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

Then sort an organised fight with someone. Do not sit outside a Capital city and then presume to be able to dictate the terms of the battle. 

1 minute ago, Kutai said:

If you do not want to be ran down by a larger fleet, do not sit by a Capital city jumping traders and new players. You will end up having an organised fleet form at some point and run you down. 

Usually that's what they want, so it just encourages them.  But there are few nations that can organize that kind of response at some random time anyhow. 

1 minute ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

I think you might want to watch some players streams and videos on you-tube/twitch  etc. I'd recommend  Moscalb's stuff. You'd be surprised by what a few good players can do.

Just now, Kutai said:

That is very hard to believe considering who is saying it and from conversations that have been extremely prevalent within the Global chat recently. All headed by the same people who are the largest culprits of 'seal clubbing' and ganking people. Now the tides have turned it is somewhat sad but not completely unexpected to see these people running to the forums. 

• Wind turning in battle - Throwing someone trying to escape back into the fleet chasing them. 
  • Extreme amount of speed mods. 
  • Inability to escape a revenge fleet (who can get an exact GPS battle position thanks to F11 coordinates). 
    • We had a useful invisibility timer, but it has been reduced to a useless level.

These mechanic issues have led to ganking being the primary type of combat found on the OW. I've been a hunter (typically solo or small groups) for a long time, and ganking has gotten significantly worse in the last 2 months thanks to these changes. 

This has NOTHING to do with you, @Kutai.

• Like 1

All I will say is that complaining about a revenge fleet outside a Capital City safe zone is like putting a brick through someones window and then complaining when a bunch of guys come out and beat you to a pulp. 

Just now, Kutai said:

All I will say is that complaining about a revenge fleet outside a Capital City safe zone is like putting a brick through someones window and then complaining when a bunch of guys come out and beat you to a pulp. 

Sure, I realize going to an enemy capital means the possibility of getting revenge fleeted. Thats fine, but this can (and does) happen all over the map. 

This has happened to me recently outside Rio Seco (Prussian port FAR from any capital). A group of 10 US guys tagged me, and the wind turning in battle meant it took 1.5 hours to escape, and I only got away because the battle expired. THEN, they tagged me again, and again. Only ended when they got bored after 4 hours. The two problems that allowed this to happen? Broken wind turning in battle (turns WAY too much) and the revenge fleet could make a ring around the battle and guarantee themselves retagging me. 

Just now, Chug said:

I think you might want to watch some players streams and videos on you-tube/twitch  etc. I'd recommend  Moscalb's stuff. You'd be surprised by what a few good players can do.

Not sure what you mean.  It's the "good" players that do a lot of the LOL curbstomping.  Nobody that attacks me is mistaking me for one of the "good" players, heh.

4 minutes ago, EliteDelta said:

Sure, I realize going to an enemy capital means the possibility of getting revenge fleeted. Thats fine, but this can (and does) happen all over the map. 

This has happened to me recently outside Rio Seco (Prussian port FAR from any capital). A group of 10 US guys tagged me, and the wind turning in battle meant it took 1.5 hours to escape, and I only got away because the battle expired. THEN, they tagged me again, and again. Only ended when they got bored after 4 hours. The two problems that allowed this to happen? Broken wind turning in battle (turns WAY too much) and the revenge fleet could make a ring around the battle and guarantee themselves retagging me. 

They pursued you 4 hours long, 10 vs 1? They haven't any better to do than run to you for 4 hours? Such a waste of time...

3 minutes ago, blubasso said:

They pursued you 4 hours long, 10 vs 1? They haven't any better to do than run to you for 4 hours? Such a waste of time...

Some people are in it more to LOL at you than anything else. 

• Like 2