Game-Labs Forum

New Player Experience - the 1st 5 hours...

I have always hated that you have to wait when you first start the game as a new player to be able to use the 'unstuck' button.  This is the absolute worst time for it to be on cooldown, and the most important time for it to be available to a new player.  If a new player gets 'lost' inside those first couple hours and cannot tow, you think they will be back?

Give em a free one and then start the timer... please...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SKurj said:

I have always hated that you have to wait when you first start the game as a new player to be able to use the 'unstuck' button.  This is the absolute worst time for it to be on cooldown, and the most important time for it to be available to a new player.  If a new player gets 'lost' inside those first couple hours and cannot tow, you think they will be back?

Give em a free one and then start the timer... please...

You mean getting stuck in shallows? (impossible in a cutter)
Or just getting lost?

6 minutes ago, admin said:

You mean getting stuck in shallows? (impossible in a cutter)
Or just getting lost?

Lost. I started as US and sailed E and was lost after 10min. I closed the game deleted my char and made a British one. Can think of a ton of people that would just ask for refund instead^^

• Like 4

1 hour ago, z4ys said:

Lost. I started as US and sailed E and was lost after 10min. I closed the game deleted my char and made a British one. Can think of a ton of people that would just ask for refund instead^^

but getting lost was actually considered magic moment by many players. 
rarely you get lost in a game these days and i think it is a SELLING point.. 
learning to learn the map and surroundings gives you a great feeling you cannot experience elsewhere.

• Like 11

21 minutes ago, admin said:

learning to learn the map and surroundings gives you a great feeling you cannot experience elsewhere.

Guess we have to differ. For me its always a magic moment when i give @Hethwill command to lead and navigate the raiding grp and we get lost after a few minutes sail "We are clos eto arthurs town" but actually it was port howe :D Its fun and a magic moment for me to recalculate our headings and determine our position (without all the 3rd party maptools) and finally get a perfect landfall. But I obtained the tools to do so in over a long time playing the game.

Who actually use a map when driving the car? We all use our gps navi. I dont think the average player knows how to use a map  right after he/she installed NA. Its knowledge that has to be obtained. Sure for the ones that know how a map works for them they might even have the magic moment right at the beginning but thinking about average. This player will just be frustrated because he/she doesnt know how to do.

I dont say make it easy.  But give an helping hand to the really new guys till they know how navigation works so they can solve it on their own. Thats the time when you have your magic moment.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 2

F11 "doesn't exist", it's only a tool for send bugs informs to devs in the alpha. F11 never was intended for gameplay use. Veterans that learnt to use F11 will be lost when the game launch. Admin is right, the best moment for me and others was when the game had not map and we needed to explore and make one.

Sadly at end devs will be forced to put a mark in the map in real time marking the position of the ship in all times.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

And remove F11 coordinates, ESPECIALLY from battles. Give us just OW map tools.

Yes, and if you leave the battle, you should get out of the point where you are currently in the battle. Not the Start point from battle 

@admin

Edited by Christoph
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, admin said:

You are right and wrong at the same time... everyone is different. When I started the game I enjoyed the huge map and having to learn navigation to get around on it but some people might not like it at all and you should consider giving new players tow to port with shorter CD or something in case they get lost and don't enjoy it... just my opinion.

• Like 1

As a newcomer, i can say that i never “lost” in NA. For US side player, if they sail E, they could sail than W and they will surely reach US coast. Where, exacly is not important: they can sail N or S along the coast and they will find a city, sooner or later.

The point is not to feel lost (IMO is one of the fun parts of the game), the point is IF the newborn seadog wants to “loose time”, leanrning the fundamental of sailing and orientations.

If someone doesn’t like to feeling lost, should play NA Legends, in which you cannot have this “nasty” :D feelings.

IMO Devs should add the tools to make it interesting and tell us newcomers that this game is slow and miss-able...

Edited by blubasso

6 minutes ago, Siegfried said:

F11 "doesn't exist", it's only a tool for send bugs informs to devs in the alpha. F11 never was intended for gameplay use. Veterans that learnt to use F11 will be lost when the game launch. Admin is right, the best moment for me and others was when the game had not map and we needed to explore and make one.

Sadly at end devs will be forced to put a mark in the map in real time marking the position of the ship in all times.

yeah most people i sail with never learned to read the map they just copy paste the f11 coordinates and use a 3rd party map. Its a shame.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rediii said:

Last carta PB I thought Cartagena is actually baranquila. Nearly missed the port shen some guys pointed it out. :D

@Abram Svensson quotes a cabo de la vela line of me sometimes. "Does anyone know where we are?" Funny moments.

Here is another quote from the moment right after that quote:

"Ah i see the port! We have the perfect position. F*ck im good!"

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, z4ys said:

yeah most people i sail with never learned to read the map they just copy paste the f11 coordinates and use a 3rd party map. Its a shame.

I made one of these maps, but with a grid where you can put yourself manually.

Now I learned to triangulate the distances to 3 ports using the trader tools. Its unrealistic too, but I don't use the F11.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Siegfried said:

I made one of these maps, but with a grid where you can put yourself manually.

Now I learned to triangulate the distances to 3 ports using the trader tools. Its unrealistic too, but I don't use the F11.

Dont get me wrong. I dont want to criticize your effort. There really was a need for the map especially as we had no map ingame.

the tutoriales at the mission tab

it actually needs a more dominant role at the left side (or right side like help or tutorial) from (at) the default page 

with a pop up for the first 20 hours... when starting the game ... 

so it is not denied...

i even see beginning captains in our nation not knowing there is a tut...

what is a bit lame on their part 

Edited by Thonys

5 minutes ago, Thonys said:

the tutoriales at the mission tab

it actually needs a more dominant role at the left side (or right side like help or tutorial) from (at) the default page 

with a pop up for the first 20 hours... when starting the game ... 

so it is not denied...

i even see beginning captains in our nation not knowing there is a tut...

what is a bit lame on their part 

+ give steam achievements for doing them :D

Edited by z4ys

Throughout my time in Naval Action, i have gotten lost several times. 

First time;
Open World had just launched, i spawned in as a Frenchie with @Ellis. As there was no map i hopped onto google maps, found the island i believed we had spawned at and tried to figure out which way we had to go, to get to our destination; Plymouth. 
We came up with an angle we had to go at and set sail, after sailing for a little while we could not see land... We felt lost and decided to try and go straight back to the island we came from. 
We reached our original starting point and decided that instead of going straight for Plymouth, we would go from Island to Island and to always keep land in sight. 
Eventually we reached Plymouth and the feeling of successfully navigating without a map was just awesome. 

Seconds story;
At one point we were informed that there, supposedly, was a "hidden island" somewhere on the map. Stupid as i am, i wanted to find it! Some of my clanmates claimed to have been there but none would give me information as to where it was. I looked at tons of maps online to (New and old) to see if there maybe was an island that was not marked on the ingame map. No luck. 
Oh well, i looked at the ingame map and tried to come up with a few spots where the "hidden island" might be. (In the Gulf, East of Florida,  East of the lesser antilles, South-east of Jamaica, etc.)
I spent something like 36 hours sailing around in the open ocean, getting lost several times because i had a tendency to change course when the wind got bad. Eventually i gave up, i was certain that there was no goddamn hidden island. 
A few days, maybe even a week, after i gave up my search i had to go to Bermuda for some reason. I went in a Santissima but i don't recall why. This was the first i had to go to Bermuda so i sailed my Santissima around the Bahamas, then calculated a heading and set sail. This time i also kept changing course and after about 90 minutes, i spotted land. 
On Teamspeak i went; "WUUUUUH I SEE LAND! I FINALLY REACHED BERMUDA!!!". 
I sailed straight for the island, looked at it and went; "Wait, this doesn't look like bermuda, the island has the wrong shape i think". (Compared to what it looked like on the map). 
I sailed around the West side of the island to get to the north side where i was certain the 3 Bermuda Ports were supposed to be. Sure enough, no ports. 
I kept going around the Island till i found a port and the guys on teamspeak must have been deaf for a week after my; "OMFG ITS KIDDS ISLAND GUYS!!! I FOUND THE HIDDEN ISLAND!!! OMFG OMFG OMFG! WUHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!".
Such a happy captain i was, i found what i had spent so much time looking for. And by accident nonetheless... It felt awesome. 

Nonetheless, i don't think giving new players "Tow To Port" will be a bad thing @admin. They can still get lost, but at the very least they can get back to port quickly to try again. 

• Like 4

Its not the point of getting lost in this case, its about the cooldown for Tow to Port.  It could get very frustrating for the new player who is lost and has to try and find his way for 5 hours before he can use the tow.

All I am suggesting is when a character first enters the game, that Tow to port is already available, and only after first use does the 5 hr cooldown start.

2 hours ago, z4ys said:

Wait, do you mean they actually can't read a map or basically don't understand what north, east, south and west mean? Or do they just don't bother with the ingame map due to the lack of navigation tools?

1 hour ago, Cecil Selous said:

Wait, do you mean they actually can't read a map or basically don't understand what north, east, south and west mean? Or do they just don't bother with the ingame map due to the lack of navigation tools?

What I mean by that is: I sailed 5 min heading SW so i might be here when i change heading due N i might end up there. I guess most people know N, E, S  and W. But yeah people dont bother to use the brain because copy paste is easier. And afk sailing. There is not really a lack of navigation tools.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

In my mind, this conversation mirrors the conversation regarding Patch notes:  Some people NEED to know EVERYTHING immediately. And if they dont, its a flaw on the part of the Devs.  Other players enjoy the concept of having to explore/test/find out what/how to do certain things...

There will ALWAYS be two camps regarding MANY of the things we discuss here on the forums.

Regardless, to some people, the Devs will be "idiots" ruining the game and to others they will be geniuses....

I dont envy them one bit, but I do know that I just passed 3000 hours in game (dont tell the Admiral).... 

I'm down to $.013/hr...  money well spent.

(Now just shrink the damn "Safe Zones" so us Privateers can go Privateering again....)

• Like 5