Game-Labs Forum

Safe zone Rework

1 hour ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

Max rank does not really mean that someone is not a newbie or that he has not lost all his stuff in recent PvP activities.

Think safe zones as end game zones to make money to buy/craft a ship for PvP.

anyone who is max rank should have plenty of money to buy new ships. if they are that bad at the game that they are out of money and ships then maybe they need to figure out that they are doing it wrong. it takes about 30-60 hours of gameplay to get to max rank. they may still suck at the game but that doesn't mean that they are a newb. 

On 2/6/2018 at 4:05 AM, Hethwill said:

cadets should start at the Naval Academy on PvE server.

Upon passing final exams have the choice to graduate and be stationed in the Caribbean or remain at home.

( meaning free character transfer to the pvp server )

No idea how easy or hard this is to the database works.

Don't force PVE on people.  I would say cadets have a choice to start on the PVE server with the option to transfer their stuff later, upon passing the exam, to the PVP server. But also allow them to start on the PVP server maybe signing an agreement knowing they can be attacked. 

• Like 1

Hey I'm not too proud to admit I've been hanging out in the safezone plenty lately since returning. Why? Because of this stupid ass ship knowledge unlock grind. I don't feel like sailing out my 1 slot unlocked ship by myself to get ganked. Setting up those boring ass combat missions close to port is the easiest way for me to grind them out. Don't need to waste repair kits, don't need to pay attention to what I'm doing much....can watch TV while I engage in the soul crushing PVE grind to unlock skill slots. It is a complete waste of my time but some brain dead people claim I'm supposed to get that feeling of accomplishment from grinding this ship xp.....nope. I'm all for getting rid of safezones as soon as you get rid of the timesink needed everytime I switch to a new ship. Ship experience grind has to be one of the worse things ever introduced into NA.....and anyone who thinks its cool, well I hate you.

• Like 2

rank is gained too quickly atm IMO, in an agamem earning 1k per post capt mission...

there are some bumpy points along the way especially with the imbalanced 5th rate ships, but in general i think the exp grind is too quick...  but would it make a difference...

I doubt it...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

I think rank is gained at an appropriate pace for Early Access. It might be slowed down on release a small bit.  But ship slots, especially the first three, are not earned quickly enough. I'd like to test ship slots (or even better yet, a skill tree progression system) gained on a ship class-basis.

Maybe right there about the knowledge, i think thats a barrier for people too, they perhaps use that as some form of scale in the 'Am I ready to PVP?' list.   I know i do..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King of Crowns said:

anyone who is max rank should have plenty of money to buy new ships. if they are that bad at the game that they are out of money and ships then maybe they need to figure out that they are doing it wrong. it takes about 30-60 hours of gameplay to get to max rank. they may still suck at the game but that doesn't mean that they are a newb. 

Clans that base their PvP mark income on farming guys without gear.  Clans that gank like no tomorrow.   Clans that try to make new guys to attack them on green zone.  Clans that try to use any trick there is to get a new guy on green zone. Safe zones probably do make it harder for them, agreed.

Clans/Players who want good fights.  They could not care an F from safe zones.

On 2/6/2018 at 7:53 AM, King of Crowns said:

So I recently had a guy get the game and I was trying to get him into the game. so we spent the first 20 hours of his gameplay grinding AI. so we finally got him undercrewing a ENDY and we went out to find pvp. So we sail over to KPR and Tortue and USA east coast. long story short in over 80 hours since then he has been in 3 PvP fights with a total of almost 100 hours in game. Main reason for the waste of 80 hours was safe zones. so this guy is done he will never play the game again and I don't really blame him. if that was my experience in the game I wouldn't play it either. 

The mistake you made was teaching him that regions with safe zones are where to look for PvP.  

If there are so many people looking for PvP then why does everyone have to congregate round the safe zones to find PvP? Are there no other PvP hot zones on the map? If someone is not looking for PvP and they are close to a safe zone what do you expect them to do if they see you heading towards them?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackjack Morgan said:

Hey I'm not too proud to admit I've been hanging out in the safezone plenty lately since returning. Why? Because of this stupid ass ship knowledge unlock grind. I don't feel like sailing out my 1 slot unlocked ship by myself to get ganked. Setting up those boring ass combat missions close to port is the easiest way for me to grind them out. Don't need to waste repair kits, don't need to pay attention to what I'm doing much....can watch TV while I engage in the soul crushing PVE grind to unlock skill slots. It is a complete waste of my time but some brain dead people claim I'm supposed to get that feeling of accomplishment from grinding this ship xp.....nope. I'm all for getting rid of safezones as soon as you get rid of the timesink needed everytime I switch to a new ship. Ship experience grind has to be one of the worse things ever introduced into NA.....and anyone who thinks its cool, well I hate you.

good players grind ship knowledge via PVP    :P

1 hour ago, Archaos said:

The mistake you made was teaching him that regions with safe zones are where to look for PvP.  

If there are so many people looking for PvP then why does everyone have to congregate round the safe zones to find PvP? Are there no other PvP hot zones on the map? If someone is not looking for PvP and they are close to a safe zone what do you expect them to do if they see you heading towards them?

I don't know if you have noticed but when the population is 200. the only place you can find another player is in the safe zone. you either find the people trying to do missions and trading and boat building or you find the people hunting those people. until the devs move the safe zones away from the capitals the playerbase has no reason to move out of safe zone. the best place for trading and ship building is the capital, which just so happends to be the safe zone and where all the newbies spawn. move the safe zone to a new location. you have 1/2 of the map that no one is ever using.... put them there. 

1 hour ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

Clans that base their PvP mark income on farming guys without gear.  Clans that gank like no tomorrow.   Clans that try to make new guys to attack them on green zone.  Clans that try to use any trick there is to get a new guy on green zone. Safe zones probably do make it harder for them, agreed.

Clans/Players who want good fights.  They could not care an F from safe zones.

problem is that safe zones are where you find the players bud. no safe zone = no players.  sailed all the way from Fort Royal to AYS didn't see a single player. 

17 minutes ago, King of Crowns said:

I don't know if you have noticed but when the population is 200. the only place you can find another player is in the safe zone. you either find the people trying to do missions and trading and boat building or you find the people hunting those people. until the devs move the safe zones away from the capitals the playerbase has no reason to move out of safe zone. the best place for trading and ship building is the capital, which just so happends to be the safe zone and where all the newbies spawn. move the safe zone to a new location. you have 1/2 of the map that no one is ever using.... put them there. 

Then everyone who uses the current safe zones will move to the new safe zones and the current safe zones like KPR will be empty and the only targets you will get are the new players leaving the capital to head to the new safe zone.

Forcing people to fight that do not want to fight is never going to be a solution to creating PvP in any game. Increase the incentives to leave the safe zone, reduce the rewards that can be gained in the safe zone, make the safe zones boring etc. but do not remove them.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, King of Crowns said:

problem is that safe zones are where you find the players bud. no safe zone = no players.  sailed all the way from Fort Royal to AYS didn't see a single player. 

I know.  The issue is that there are no reasons, not much content to sail out from safe zones.  Maybe one day we have.

Safe zones should be newbie areas, end game shame zones for people who lost all.  They should easy money from PvE to get back to PvP but the main end game content should be outside.

Easy thing would be to give for example 1.2x multiplier of gold/xp/cm from missions done outside capital safe zones.  Maybe all would not go after +20% reward but some probably would.  Some would be better than none, right?  Sure would not fix it all but might improve the situation.

Another easy thing could be to make resource production 20% more expensive in safe ports.  Once again wont fix it all but would be a small bonus.

3 hours ago, SKurj said:

rank is gained too quickly atm IMO, in an agamem earning 1k per post capt mission...

there are some bumpy points along the way especially with the imbalanced 5th rate ships, but in general i think the exp grind is too quick...  but would it make a difference...

I doubt it...

I have those feelings too: i raised too quickly to really understand what the... i am doing. I mean: really doing. I found myself at my 3th Rank (from below) as Captain and i still suck (a lot) in sailing and in combat. This could be my fault, of course, but gaining next rank from the very first one, happened in a while. 

It‘s like to have a new job and you have to learn maybe the firm software for your office PC; some days later (you learned very few), your chef promoted to the next rank without any apparent reasons. 

Thank you, but... Why? I didn‘t even know the name of my collegues...

Edited by blubasso
  • Like 1

I don't believe in making the safezone less than it is, the better method should be to put a carrot out there to make people want to leave the safezone, not make the safezone painful if people have to choose between paiful in safezone and ganks outside it they will just leave the game.

• Like 2

I agree that safezones need to be changed. Since the merge I've killed only 1 player, and it was in an arranged fight. I've encountered dozens of other players but half of them are in fir/fir ships and run away from everything, and the other half never leave the safezones and thus are untouchable. This is a PvP game, so the fact that finding PvP can be so difficult is laughable.

Gear means a lot now.  Gear difference can simply be huge now.

Some players have +4k, even +7k? hours behind.  Others have 100 hours.

Veteran players with good gear crying that they cannot sink new guys without gear in the green zone.

New guys without gear would be simply stupid to take a fair fight out side green zones.  Many from these veteran players are still expecting to find a fair fight or they rather gank.  Veteran players often want to have BR equality but not the gear equality.

I highly recommend that you at least remove gear advantage from the game.  This makes it easier for new guys to sail out from safe zones.  Veteran players get better and more fights if gear advantage is been removed.  I would call this win-win.

All serious PvP focused games that are actually good have minimal gear benefits.  Don't know how NA PvP would be any different.

• Like 1

reduce refits drop in green zone to basic stuff only and no combat marks. only gold and xp. for any other more important upgrades players will have to sail away from the green zones.

Dissallow tagging npcs in green zones only missions allowed without any drop (repairs only).

Edited by Cr33D

19 minutes ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

Gear means a lot now.  Gear difference can simply be huge now.

Some players have +4k, even +7k? hours behind.  Others have 100 hours.

Veteran players with good gear crying that they cannot sink new guys without gear in the green zone.

New guys without gear would be simply stupid to take a fair fight out side green zones.  Many from these veteran players are still expecting to find a fair fight or they rather gank.  Veteran players often want to have BR equality but not the gear equality.

I highly recommend that you at least remove gear advantage from the game.  This makes it easier for new guys to sail out from safe zones.  Veteran players get better and more fights if gear advantage is been removed.  I would call this win-win.

All serious PvP focused games that are actually good have minimal gear benefits.  Don't know how NA PvP would be any different.

sorry cant agree and keep reading same thing over and over. sailed bell poule with 1 ship knowledge slot refits available in shops. Now I am on 4 ship knowledges pvp only. niagara all 5 slots unlocked in pvp. surprise same thing. pf last 2 in pvp. bucentaur 2  in pvp only. endymion 2 slots in pvp only. St. Pavel 3 slots in pvp, bellona 3 slots in pvp I had 2 ships unlocked through a majority of pve it was inger (4 slots)and victory (4 slots).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cr33D said:

sorry cant agree and keep reading same thing over and over. sailed bell poule with 1 ship knowledge slot refits available in shops. Now I am on 4 ship knowledges pvp only. niagara all 5 slots unlocked in pvp. surprise same thing. pf last 2 in pvp. bucentaur 2  in pvp only. endymion 2 slots in pvp only. St. Pavel 3 slots in pvp, bellona 3 slots in pvp I had 2 ships unlocked through a majority of pve it was inger (4 slots)and victory (4 slots).

This is related to things that I said?  Or is this your way to brag?

I am speaking from the game, not from you, right?

You also did not mention anything about upgrades you use?

Are you sailing in a fleet?

Are you sailing vs new guys, for example camping near MT?

How much time you have spent with the game?

You don't have to answer.  I am just saying that I am speaking in general from the game.  Would be hard to speak from a game if I had to take on account every possible individual.

The game is like I said there.

30 minutes ago, Cr33D said:

reduce refits drop in green zone to basic stuff only and no combat marks. only gold and xp. for any other more important upgrades players will have to sail away from the green zones.

Dissallow tagging npcs in green zones only missions allowed without any drop (repairs only).

If they had better gear, there would be higher change them to actually sail out from the green.  You would get more fights, everyone would win?

If you decrease the gear, they will be in disadvantage and they don't sail out -> Less fights.

3 hours ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

This is related to things that I said?  Or is this your way to brag?

I am speaking from the game, not from you, right?

You also did not mention anything about upgrades you use?

Are you sailing in a fleet?

Are you sailing vs new guys, for example camping near MT?

How much time you have spent with the game?

You don't have to answer.  I am just saying that I am speaking in general from the game.  Would be hard to speak from a game if I had to take on account every possible individual.

The game is like I said there.

3 hours ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

If they had better gear, there would be higher change them to actually sail out from the green.  You would get more fights, everyone would win?

If you decrease the gear, they will be in disadvantage and they don't sail out -> Less fights.

around sailing and fights - 400 - 600 hours another that on top trading. 

I dont mind who I fight against, I sail around MT because it's a nearest port with some players from La Tortue, not because low lvl players are there.

I fight vs everyone thtat  wants to fight I dont pick targets as per their rank in game nor I check how many hours they played. If I got attacked I fight. I tend to let go ppl with low rank unless I am attacked by them. There was few occasions where I attacked low lvl player and sank him, but I provided them with better ship with upgrades usually.  

So far one that is bragging is you, I play NA since July only, which is short compared to some people here and through sinkning I learned how to fight and what you are trying to do is to bring more pve to pvp server. Everytime  I leave port I accept fact that I lost this ship. This helps a lot and is the best advice I can give.

I use upgrades that are available for everyone in shop ranging from 0.5kk to 2kk total. I dont sail with copper plating for example nor cartahena only pb ships do have cartahena which is obsolete now anyway.

To the topic, green zones must be changed to something that is viable for pvp too. Stop protecting highest level ranks, that will only learn through sinking their own ships in pvp and not through pve. AI is nowhere on par with pvp players and everyone have to realize that. 

IMHO all starters should be placed on pacific with no access for pvp players. They should be allowedvto pvp same rank or higher there only. After reaching certain rank they should move to carribean picking their nation , all green zones should be removed. 

Edited by Cr33D

3 hours ago, Cr33D said:

So far one that is bragging is you

I did not notice that, sorry about that.

If you sail out from green and are having good PvP, that is good for you.

My point was to invent ways how to get more players out from the green.  What could make these players to sail out?  What are players on green thinking?