Game-Labs Forum

Boarding Script

Landsman

Question

Is there any known boarding script or something? I just had a boarding fight with some dude and he directly countered every one of my moves in the last split second... like I switch to something in the last 0.1 second but he not only also changed his move after but also countered mine... how is this possible? It's not like I knew the guy and he could read me or I had some predictable pattern on it either. First time I ever call Bullshit on someone in NA. I won't give his name because I have no proof but has anyone experienced this aswell? Seems fishy AF. 

19 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Landsman said:

Is there any known boarding script or something? I just had a boarding fight with some dude and he directly countered every one of my moves in the last split second... like I switch to something in the last 0.1 second but he not only also changed his move after but also countered mine... how is this possible? It's not like I knew the guy and he could read me or I had some predictable pattern on it either. First time I ever call Bullshit on someone in NA. I won't give his name because I have no proof but has anyone experienced this aswell? Seems fishy AF. 

he has better ping than you so as soon as something changes he flips it.  And yes he already know what to do if you counter his move.

Every move has a 1 really good counter so odds are if something changes that is what was done and IF you have a better ping you can always out counter because you already know what is comming. To stop it make move before 7s and what ever he picks is all he gets but you can still change at last sec  

Edited by JobaSet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Landsman said:

I've seen another player do something that seemed scripted as well.  I initiated the boarding, but he was boarding fit and I wasn't i just did it out of desperation lol.  Everytime he counter-attacked, at the last split second he changed to another command (don't recall which but it was the same every time)  At first I figured it was his counter to my defend, but then I stopped, and just left it in brace and watched, round after round as he repeated the same thing. 

3 hours ago, JobaSet said:

he has better ping

I still doubt this would be enough to matter here...

3 hours ago, JobaSet said:

And yes he already know what to do if you counter his move.

Again I doubt it... when it is Musket Volley vs Musket Volley and in the very last moment I switch to Attack and he switched to Defend like automatically / instantly but with different commands multiple times it's just kinda bullshit...

57 minutes ago, Landsman said:

I still doubt this would be enough to matter here...

A fast ping means a more responsive connection, especially in applications where timing is everything (like video games). Ping is measured in milliseconds (ms). The download speed is how fast you can pull data from the server to you.

Reaction Time on global I had between 14-20 ping 99% of time 

15 ping is .015 sec
50 ping is .050 sec
100 ping is .1 sec
200 ping is .2 sec
500 ping is 1/2 a sec
1000 ping is 1 sec

Again I doubt it... when it is Musket Volley vs Musket Volley and in the very last moment I switch to Attack and he switched to Defend like automatically / instantly but with different commands multiple times it's just kinda bullshit...

I would have hit defend also,  The last second Stuff is a good way to go. But it is a 50/50 you win or you don't.  Both of you could have hit defend at same time.  Problem is if you attack last second you lose 60 prep, but he lost almost nothing in prep.  The player will now work you over now that he has prep on you.  IF you had picked grenades or Fire deck guns(Lot less prep)it would have hurt him against his Defend, but not put him out of the game.  But it would have put him on a defensive posture. One bad beat move on a player can end him normally, and they can never recover, but this is not for a true boarder.  Players are getting better and better, but the good boarders are having to adjust tactics. Some players are even Stacking one move up just so you will attack into something and you can't win on. AKA Stacked deck guns or Muskets even grenades.  How many times have you attacked and NPC that threw grenades or deck guns and you lost or broke even. Because normally one of those are Stacked on a NPC.

The trick is to never do same setup always change it up, so you don't get in a Rut, always thinking you should win a certain way. You cap a few ships I promise you, people will tell each other how you were setup.  You can't play the same way ever time and you can/will lose sometimes to the worse boarders in game doing everything you thought was right. It just happens that way sometimes.

Edited by JobaSet
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JobaSet said:

1000 ping is 1 sec

Well I never had this happen and didnt know the difference could be this big... seems retarded AF to be honest and would explain how he countered me hard every round. If this can't be fixed, they should probably come up with something else that this 1992 2D boarding "game" ...

1 minute ago, Coraline Vodka said:

He predicted what you would do. Do you have any other details about the fight? crew differential, marines?

imo there is no trick just good guessing

It's what I am saying... how could he predict / guess correct every round? We both had marines and about equal crew... don't know how it matters tho.

Just now, Coraline Vodka said:

practice and experience.

and bullshit... I had loads of boarding fights against some really decent players and know when I am outplayed. It might have been like Joba said the ping ( I didn't know it could make a difference of up to 1 second ).... 

14 minutes ago, Coraline Vodka said:

but imo you got out played.

Thanks for your opinion fam but I was there and you weren't.. also how can you outplay experienced players in this shitty rock paper scissors minigame? You either understand it or you don't and only noobs get baited. If both players understand the counters / hard counters it's more about luck than skill but apparently a better ping matters aswell or this dude was just like super lucky ( or "experienced" and "practiced" how you may call it ) and rolled perfect like 15 times in a row...

Edited by Landsman

21 minutes ago, Landsman said:

Thanks for your opinion fam but I was there and you weren't.. also how can you outplay experienced players in this shitty rock paper scissors minigame? You either understand it or you don't and only noobs get baited. If both players understand the counters / hard counters it's more about luck than skill but apparently a better ping matters aswell or this dude was just like super lucky ( or "experienced" and "practiced" how you may call it ) and rolled perfect like 15 times in a row...

What's you ping?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

400 ping is a lot for boarding. Some geniuses like @Christendom and his friends claim that ping is irrelevent for boarding. Only thing you can try to do is not rely on last second actions and play the steady and solid boarding. Use barricades and five rings for your ships (barricades is best passive mod). Marines would help a lot too, as defensive tactic, some prefer boarding axes (I never like that one, seemed like a waste of slot).

There are players that I outplayed in boarding 100%, as players are very predictable, but sometimes I get outplayed by other good players.

About script, yes it is possible, but any script won't be efficient and effective in PvP, only for PvE. There are too many viarables and mods to make a scripted PvP boarding cheat.

I've been off my boarding game lately, but in theory ping only helps if you rely on last second attacks.  If you can make your opponent mismanage his prep, you win.  The lack of effectiveness (prior to this latest patch) of marines in 1st rates was a pain in the ass, difficult to get a guy in one board.  

400 ping is of course a problem regardless.  I'm talking about 80 ping vs 180 - not really that much of a difference.  

3 hours ago, Christendom said:

I've been off my boarding game lately, but in theory ping only helps if you rely on last second attacks.  If you can make your opponent mismanage his prep, you win.  The lack of effectiveness (prior to this latest patch) of marines in 1st rates was a pain in the ass, difficult to get a guy in one board.  

400 ping is of course a problem regardless.  I'm talking about 80 ping vs 180 - not really that much of a difference.  

Chris, he's playing from Australia. It's a nightmare for any of us to board another player from EU or US.

With such high ping 

Get as many defensive upgrades (like barricades and more) and don't play on counters.
If you have equal or bigger crew and have high defensive stats you don't need to play the last click game in the majority of cases, and will control the engagement when you want it.
We plan to fix the unlimited preparation (somewhat caused by the desire to increase the dynamism of boarding ) issue soon as we want to remove the desire for last second clicks lottery. 

• Like 8

I do admit the ping/lag some times sucks when you need it the most. I get about 140 ping lately but it's been between 120-160 most the time.  I do notice a slight delay more in boarding than I did on global where I had around 40-60 ping.   Last night i was in a boarding that I was all ready prob going to loose Reno vs a Trinc but I said screw it I couldn't get away from him (which sucks cause I'm a whole knot faster than him and just couldn't pull from him cause new speed balance).  Well straight off the bat he had no prep when I pulled him, about 100 more crew but I was like screw it I'll do this.  I get a great first action and bust his crew down some and mainly his moral. I go to do my second and at the last moment he was able to change the action....I feel since it was under the clock time to do so it was a slight delay in the game from his action to my actions that caused me to miss the change and counter wrong (I push the button at the last second when his action changed too).  Than from there it all went down hill as I lost the moral and prep.......but hay you win some and you loose some,.  Now I have a Teak Teak Sturdy Reno to replace the one I lost, just the Elite French Mod lost sucks......

The point is and I have said this over and over I don't care what you say PING does matter, wither it's aiming at water lines  or mast or boarding.  It can mean a miss or hit at times.   Yes it doesn't make as big a thing as a twitch shooter where one shot could mean your dead, but it can make a difference of turning a battle into ones favor.   Have ya'll even thought about looking at moving to a server either West Coast EU or East Coast US to give the majority of the players the best over all ping?  

7 hours ago, PenguPirate said:

Chris, he's playing from Australia. It's a nightmare for any of us to board another player from EU or US.

Well it's not out fault you have all them kangroo's and drop bears stealing your internet....lol 

Yah I feel for you guys or any of the other SEA players.  Oh dear and lets not even talk about the Chinese players pings....I"m use to an 85 ping on most EU located servers so not sure why I get so high for me (140ish ping) on this game other than it's in Germany, most other games i play are located in UK or France server wise.  

7 hours ago, admin said:

With such high ping 

Get as many defensive upgrades (like barricades and more) and don't play on counters.
If you have equal or bigger crew and have high defensive stats you don't need to play the last click game in the majority of cases, and will control the engagement when you want it.
We plan to fix the unlimited preparation (somewhat caused by the desire to increase the dynamism of boarding ) issue soon as we want to remove the desire for last second clicks lottery. 

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

• Like 1