Game-Labs Forum

RNG and Crafting

I hate RNG. With that out of the way:

I suggest:

Advancing crafting experience.

Atm we have crafting lvls and the RNG that's is basically useless. I'd like to see the crafting trees expanded by for example giving the crafters increasing specialization:

A clan (or individual) could have a crafter that specialized in first rates and for each first rate he moves up in the xp and after for example 20 first rates he get a choice for a trim he can add to the first rates in the future (and it is NOT random what trim he can add - it's a chosen perk just like the ordinary perks). This can be expanded to specific ships and not just ship types. If for example a crafter specializes in H.Rattlesnakes then he get's the possibility to add more and more trims to add.

And most important of all:

NO MORE RNG!

In a player-centered MMO, the only RNG should be applied to whether or not a weapon hits its target. 

Everything else must be player-generated or you end up removing content at an exponential level.

NOTE: This is completely unrelated to the PvE side of the game, such as trading goods and AI fleets. It does mean that the "special drops" from AI should not be the only way of acquiring modules, and I've expressed my alternative to the book knowledge system separately.

Edited by BPHick

22 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Agreed, kill RNG in crafting beyond giving some minor rewards (resources, materials, paints, permits) back to the crafter as loot/rewards.  An expanded, more detailed crafting tree with specializations would be amazing.

Give the crafter "crafting marks" that can be used to buy those rewards.

2 hours ago, Bearwall said:

I hate RNG. With that out of the way:

I suggest:

Advancing crafting experience.

Atm we have crafting lvls and the RNG that's is basically useless. I'd like to see the crafting trees expanded by for example giving the crafters increasing specialization:

A clan (or individual) could have a crafter that specialized in first rates and for each first rate he moves up in the xp and after for example 20 first rates he get a choice for a trim he can add to the first rates in the future (and it is NOT random what trim he can add - it's a chosen perk just like the ordinary perks). This can be expanded to specific ships and not just ship types. If for example a crafter specializes in H.Rattlesnakes then he get's the possibility to add more and more trims to add.

And most important of all:

NO MORE RNG!

Not a fan of this idea...  Its affect on the market will be pretty much the same as now... people would just be spitting out ships as fast as possible to earn those specializations, the market again would crash.  Next he will make his choice for the trim, a week later the meta changes and his ships go down in value....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SKurj said:

Not a fan of this idea...  Its affect on the market will be pretty much the same as now... people would just be spitting out ships as fast as possible to earn those specializations, the market again would crash.  Next he will make his choice for the trim, a week later the meta changes and his ships go down in value....

I agree to some extent, but the spitting out of ships would at least stop when the crafters got the trims set up.. The current system will never reach a balance in shipproduction and has nothing to do with skill or diligence and everything to do with "luck".. To be honest I think the old regional trims were nice, but I'd rather have them be dependent on materials than the crafting region.