Game-Labs Forum

Boarding advisory 2/2/2018

The Chance take on the Amiable Maria.

Interesting quote by Nicholas Dawlish - "At this remove in time it is difficult to imagine just how savage a boarding action could be. In a novel it may occupy a few pages, in a movie some minutes, but the reality of hacking, stabbing and shooting in a small area sometimes lasted for hours."

2 hours ago, BPHick said:

Your right, I was busy thinking of recreating the java and connie fight in game, and confounded the two. Apologies for typing at 3am.

As for what Sea Fox was asking, I took it a little less literally. Sue me.

I will grant you he probably was not being completely literal about not a single shot being fired, however, I think my point stands regardless as the firing that Shannon did do was devastating and that was the spirit of his original query. Was boarding really feasible before an enemy crew and ship had been hammered by cannon fire?

The only instances I am aware of would be cutting out ships with skeleton crews aboard but clearly that's not relevant to NA. I'm looking forward to Hethwill's results.

Funny thing that the Jane and the Ranger, under Maynard are, reportedly, not having any carriages, just to state a more "popular" example.

Sea Fox presents - "rage boarder have fast ships that are modded up for boarding". This is not far from the realities of sea roving, which did not rely on firepower to batter enemy into submission. Not so much of a Navy which relied on gunnery much more heavily.

Alas we do not follow such distinction, our "career paths" are diluted hence we can act all types in one.