Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ra Mhotep

T-bone me?, think it will slow me down?, think again!

Lately I been messing around with boarding, and I've noticed that sometimes it's really hard to slow opponent ship down (unless completely demasted of course).

Example, I'm in a Trincomalee vs an Indefitable. Indef sails maybe around 85% so not soo damaged, however.. I succesfully and completely T-bone his ship. 

And i keep him t-boned for like 2 minutes and he just ain't stopping, still going 7+ knots. 

Now without being a sailing expert by any means, I am pretty sure no ship will maintain 7+  knots when getting t-boned by another ship that is equal size. It's like he was t-boned by a raft.. and not a Trincomalee.

I'm actually very suprised to see this in Naval Action, looks like a failed mechanic that you would see first months of development not after 2 years.

Unless of course,  in reality a ship can do that, hit another ship and still keep going like a freight train, just seems unrealistic to me.

• Like 3

I've seen that happen with my vic against an ai santi. So you know how you have to run upwind to collect the booty from the ships after you sink them, I figured why not stay closer to  them just moments before they sink... so I accidentally rammed the santi that was pulling some weird reverse sailing the ai is famous for... and he's still reversing, while I'm still going my normal speed and i can't even push him into the wind. 

I just wrote it off as a one off but it clearly isn't considering its happened to you as well, heh. its like two giant sledges are trying to push eachother out whilst being on a block of ice and they are forever sliding.

Forever sliding.. sounds about right.:P

Guess I could push him into the wind instead of completely T-Bone but then a good captain will just hit reverse.

And I also "wrote it off" the first time, til i noticed it was a poor game mechanic and not just a "glitch".

Guess I need to shoot down the masts like we're supposed to in this meta, then board.

Edited by Liang Dao Ming
Because I want to add something?

Well the biggest problem I have with your premise about being surprised to see this in Naval Action is that in real life the ships may very well have stopped.... because they would be sinking to the bottom. Naval collisions were devastating. The devs have already said the engine is incapable of handling collision damage well.

What we are left with is clearly not ideal but does seem to be somewhat of a compromise. Having played a lot of PvP, I can tell you there is nothing more annoying for a history buff, such as myself, than to have some captain come flying in and ram me to push me into the wind. In real life this would likely have been devastating to both ships involved and perhaps both of them sinking. 

So because this is a game and players don't have a real fear of death, ramming to get ships caught in iron is used an insane amount. I'm personally quite okay that my ship is not ground to a halt from a collision. It would make boarding easier than it already is.

35 minutes ago, Bristol Fashion said:

Well the biggest problem I have with your premise about being surprised to see this in Naval Action is that in real life the ships may very well have stopped.... because they would be sinking to the bottom. Naval collisions were devastating. The devs have already said the engine is incapable of handling collision damage well.

What we are left with is clearly not ideal but does seem to be somewhat of a compromise. Having played a lot of PvP, I can tell you there is nothing more annoying for a history buff, such as myself, than to have some captain come flying in and ram me to push me into the wind. In real life this would likely have been devastating to both ships involved and perhaps both of them sinking. 

So because this is a game and players don't have a real fear of death, ramming to get ships caught in iron is used an insane amount. I'm personally quite okay that my ship is not ground to a halt from a collision. It would make boarding easier than it already is.

I completely agree with you.

And, I was not asking for ships to stop or sink at any collision.

I was specifically questioning 7+ knots speed for an eternity when you are t-boned by a ship of similar size. The amount of realism I was looking for nothing too extreme in my opinion.

And also, unless you take down my sail/masts to a degree that my ship is half-crippled you will not be boarding me, unless i want you to.

Boarding is not as easy as you think.

I don't see why T-boning another ship should slow it down. It should slow YOU down.

The problem is when you T-bone a stationary ship and then push it sideways through the water at 7 or 8 knots.

2 hours ago, maturin said:

I don't see why T-boning another ship should slow it down. It should slow YOU down.

The problem is when you T-bone a stationary ship and then push it sideways through the water at 7 or 8 knots.

I think you misunderstand me, or I didn't make myself clear what I mean by t-boning is my ship is the one "blocking" opponents ship's front like a T.

I didn't mean that my ship is the one crashing into the side of the opponent.:)

The problem you mention is exactly what I mean (except for the stationary part)

Edited by Liang Dao Ming

Personally I enjoy this mechanic for the sole purpose of using a smaller AI frigate as a shield as I pull up next to something bigger.