Game-Labs Forum

Today's port timers situation

Celtiberofrog

Today's Caribbean Server port timers situation

Evaluation of different time zone timers proportional to Faction territory (excluding protected free timer ports) :

Purcentage of port timers out of "Server evening time"

USA (100%)

Dutch (80%)

France (60%)

GB (35%)

• most 11AM to 2PM & some at 05AM to 8AM

Russians (0%)

Prussians (0%)

Danes (0%)

Sweeds (0%)

Spain (0%)

Pirates (0%)

Polish (0%)

Depending when players are active in this Server, the RVR is becoming awkward. 

Let see how the timer Map will evolve...compared to an assumed number of different time zone players

Edited by Celtiberofrog

If you can't attack Port A from Nation 1 because of timer, maybe attack Port B from Nation 2 instead. There is 11 different nations on the map, spain is only allied to russia and USA.

Swedes and Danes have lots of ports in EU time. French have also lots of EU Timers in the east or even no timers.

• Like 4

first reaction .. is what is your point ?

different nations have different amount of players that are either europen or non european .. for instance GB has more non european players than poland has players

the 80 -20 split comes from what ?   a guess or hard fact

a bigger population will mean more inclusion rather than less

• Like 5

So I am the leader of VNM, a primarily US clan, of the Dutch Nation. We have more RVR players in our American time zone than in Dutch times. We set the PBs as a united Provinces to when we can best defend them against one Dane clan that has more members than our whole Dutch nation. So non issue. You clearly are not a clan leader/officer in your nation and do not know the inner politics between clans and nations. 

• Like 3

The idea of display all ports from all nations split by time window is nice information for everyone if done complete and overlay that info in the timezones map. 

Such as adding the Nations overlay %% across the entire map.

0% is nothing. For anyone it means that that nation has no ports.

timezone-map5.png

I may read it wrong. But does Russia only have 5 %. They have a total of 32 ports and you say they have 7 ports, so 7/32 =21 %. Is that many ore not. Guess it depend on how many "global" players they have. Lets say Russia can field in total 60 RvR playes and 15 is "global". 15/60= 25%. In that case the number actually looks ok. 

But it wont change there is ports not being able of being attack by EU players unless EU player are ready to get up in the middle of the night, and ofc visa versa for the global players.

Edited by staun
  • Like 1

To me PB timers are a compromise, in reality be it within a gaming community or real life, for battle planners the natural time to attack an enemy is the time, place, and with weather that is best suited to the attacker,  PB timers shift the tactical advantage to the defender who can control when a port may be attacked to his best advantage. 

The choice of when to attack or defend is very much the heart of the issue, neither system is fair but I have never heard of a fair war. In either case either the attacker or the defender will be at a disadvantage, so what to do? 

Those of you who have commanded PB's will have learned the Military maxim "no plan ever survives first contact with the enemy" no matter what the time is, no matter what the numbers are, it is the reactions of the battle commanders, and those under command that will decide the outcome.

Wars have been won and lost on the turn of just one battle, The Persian victory at Thermopylae ensured the Greek States eventual victory in that war,  Rourke's Drift ensured the status quo  in Africa, in both battles one side was heavily outnumbered by the other so numbers sometimes do not decide the issue, the will to win despite the odds, the mindset of the battle commanders are far more important. There are a few really good battle commanders in this game, others not so much, but they can and will, I am sure, learn from their battles, just as individual Captains should.

We do not die like Leonidas and his 300 Spartans did, but we can influence events, even after defeat, just as he did, it is why battles such as Thermopylae and Rourke's Drift become military lessons in Military Academies worldwide.

A beaten enemy who keeps coming back for more is a successful battle commander's worst nightmare, it destroys the morale of his people, it makes him doubt himself, until one day the underdog becomes the top dog, until the next underdog comes along.

Whether you are a small nation, or a colossus the odds are the same, you will win or you will lose, what you do with what you have determines if you win or lose, not time, not numbers. Go out and fight, where and whenever you find the enemy, enjoy the game, it is why we are all here. 

Timers will always be a problem until the entirety of RVR isn't decided by a single winner takes all battles.

The perfect RVR system would let attackers attack whenever, but give defenders adequate time to defend. This mean day long campaigns for a port, not a single hour of hostilities and a single hour of PB.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson
  • Like 7

The merge happened, it's not going away.  Timers are the unhappy solution to keep everyone on one server so admin doesn't have to pay the bills for two.  Global was basically dead and EU was losing steam at a steady pace.  

Basically what slim said above.  Timers are the current stopgap solution.  Let's hope admin comes up with a better solution for RVR, because lets me honest......timers or no timers this shit is starting to get stale.  

I still think an insta PB option might be a good solution so both sides don't have to stay up 2 nights in a row, but I'm not sure what it is.  Multiple Victory marks for a Flag?  Say Flag pulls cost 5 VM each and the attacker has 2 hours to bring the flag (or whatever).  

--------

Spain is also allied or neutral with a couple of nations that it could be attacking for content (same goes for everyone really).  If you can't attack GB, go attack someone else.  There sure are a lot of french ports in the gulf without timers at all.

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 2

I can't understand why players complain about lack of content...

Are you telling me nation A can't attack nation B through too G!

Anyone can attack anyone! Complaining about timers is just an smoke screen for being lazy...! If your allied to your neighbours then sail for an hour. Find a free port and Start attacking someone!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Celtiberofrog said:

Today's Caribbean Server port timers situation

Evaluation of different time zone timers proportional to Faction territory (including open timers):

USA (100%)

Dutch (80%)

• Most of their "homeland" ports at 1AM to 4AM...

GB (35%)

• Has set their whole Bahamas ports at either 11AM to 2PM or at 00AM to 3AM
  • Has set 7 ports (Cuba & central America) as above

Russians (5%)

• 7 Ports at 3AM. 

France (4%)

• WO & BLANC clan have set 5 ports at 3AM to 7AM 

Prussians (0%)

Danes (0%)

Sweeds (0%)

Spain (0%)

Pirates (0%)

Polish (0%)

Depending when players are active in this Server, the RVR is becoming awkward. 

It is probable that today Server population is 80% European, which means approximate 20% exclusive RVR. 

Who can tell how this situation will evolve with a bigger population ?

Each Faction should get multiple time zone players otherwise this system will never be balanced.

Oh dear..

USA does not have 100% american players, I don't know where you got that idea from.

GB's ports are set during daytime and the 2 ports who are at 0-3am are owned by an American GB clan

Russians have global players as well, however I have heard that the port timers are intentional to stop flipping

I don't know if the french clans are in us time, possible

6 hours ago, Lz3 said:

USA does not have 100% american players, I don't know where you got that idea from.

USA has got 100% port timers set to a specific time zone which is early morning in Server time.

GB has set approximately 35% port timers either during Server time mid day or early morning.

USA, Dutch, Russians, GB and France are setting these specific port timers cause they include some clans having NA activities during those Server timing. 

It is an option that cannot be utilized by the rest of Factions unless they can include different time zone players/clans in their faction.

What about Spain, France, Pirates, Kingdom of Prussia, Commonwealth, Sweden, Denmark ?

Surely they have Conquest ports that can be attacked by clans operating in the same timezones ?

Anything that impedes the conduct of attacks to said ports, on the mechanics side ?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

What about Spain, France, Pirates, Kingdom of Prussia, Commonwealth, Sweden, Denmark ?

Anything that impedes the conduct of attacks to said ports, on the mechanics side ?

For some reason Spain only want to attack GB, I think. But GB has some clans operating in US/AUS timezone and spain cannot attack ports held by these clans because they set timers within their primetime.

Even considering that Spain is allied with Russia and the US, that still leaves seven (not including GB) nations for you to attack. There are loads of ports in the timezone of 17-22 from Danes, Swedes, French, Prussians, Commonwealth and Pirates. Just sail somewhere and raise hostility, like @monk33y said.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...