Game-Labs Forum

Ship Destruction Animations

So i was think that maby instead of the normal one were you just watch your ship sink from up in the clouds instead maby you could take our ship we are using and put it in a video like say a fire hit our powder and we blow up, go it a side view and let us watch as our ship is blown in half then go under water and watch as our ship sinks and things slowly sink and drift out of it. Or if we get rammed hard enough from the side, instead of just our masts breaking and we flip go into a 1st person view at the wheel so we can see the other ship plow through ours then watch as the ship starts to sink slowly in the middle and as things slide to the center into the water. Or if we take to many shots to one side we go to a side shot and watch as we flip on that one side then watch as everything falls into the water. This i think would make death a bit more interesting. And since we are dieing its not like we will have a instant respawn or anything and make it if they dont want to watch they dont have to. But make sure its randome based on what kind of damage it was and were it took place such as center, port, aft, bow, etc. Examples given below.

post-6848-0-86974800-1419577455_thumb.jpg

post-6848-0-77668800-1419577465_thumb.jpg

post-6848-0-08978900-1419577487_thumb.jpg

post-6848-0-43362900-1419577495_thumb.png

I would like to see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heated_shot ,

So when you hit some poor fellow's powder stock the whole ship gets blown apart and maybe dammage other ships that are close in range with debrit (sails riped).

Just an idea, i am sure it would have been mentioned somwhere else.

Heated shot was rarely used on ships, forts etc, more so. 

About destruction, it would be nice to see but not a priority or necessary.

• Like 1

Heated shot was rarely used on ships, forts etc, more so. 

About destruction, it would be nice to see but not a priority or necessary.

In 1801, several days after the Battle of Algeciras Bay, two Spanish ships of the line exploded, killing near 1700 sailors. According to various sources, the fire that caused the explosions of both ships originated from heated shots fired by HMS Superb

Yeah i guess it wasn't but maybe if it had like a long reload or some thing,

It would be nice to broadside with dubble shot, turn so your front or back faces them and then send your carronades loaded with hot shot. Big Bada Boom :P

• Like 1

I agree that it would be nice to see some variation to the sinking as well as damage model. (I would imagine its in the works). 

NTW has some nice effects, although I would say they are a bit overdone, not to mention terrible performance.

this video shows some of the sinking effects that would be nice to see in NA, as well as a fire and magazine explosion, also more populated ship decks.

I agree that it would be nice to see some variation to the sinking as well as damage model. (I would imagine its in the works). 

NTW has some nice effects, although I would say they are a bit overdone, not to mention terrible performance.

this video shows some of the sinking effects that would be nice to see in NA, as well as a fire and magazine explosion, also more populated ship decks.

Dude! I am an avid fan of the Total War series(except for Rome 2 Agh! Total Fail, it should be called!) and their naval warfare is what has drawn my interest in it. I have never seen any other game come close to the feel of what TW brings to age of sail warfare, until NA.

NA, from what I am seeing, has the potential to signifigantly out perform TW on this concept.

Can you name any other game that is any better, at this time?

Please name them and I will check them out, but I believe that NA is going to be the one that out does TW on this.

I think as a feature later on, the damage model should have glass that could shatter (Captains Cabin), much in like Napoleon Total War

Share ideas!  :)

Probably the only other thing worth implementing  along with smoke and fire of course.

Dude! I am an avid fan of the Total War series(except for Rome 2 Agh! Total Fail, it should be called!) and their naval warfare is what has drawn my interest in it. I have never seen any other game come close to the feel of what TW brings to age of sail warfare, until NA.

NA, from what I am seeing, has the potential to signifigantly out perform TW on this concept.

Can you name any other game that is any better, at this time?

Please name them and I will check them out, but I believe that NA is going to be the one that out does TW on this.

Age of Pirates - Caribbean Tales

Is one that comes to mind, it was a good game very arcade plot but twas fun sailing around the Carib.

there was a AoP2 but i never saw it or got to try it, i am still not sure what happend to that game, all i know is it had some crashes and something something russians, impossiable to find a copy of it anywhere.

there was also Yoyage Century but if i remenber my time playing that i didnt enjoy the combat and went back to playing TW:Empire and TW:Napolion.

I would like to see different animations for shots that don't penetrate.  Right now all shots send wood and dust flying even if they do no damage at all.  I'd love to see shots bounce off the big line ships etc.  It would help people better understand what effect they are having on the enemy as well.

Did the different ships have their magazines at various levels in relation to their water line? Not a naval historian so maybe someone can post when the following was mostly true;

(from Magazine (artillery) ); "Historically, when artillery was fired with gunpowder, a warship's magazines were built below the water line — especially since the magazines could then be readily flooded in case of fire or other dangerous emergencies on board the ship. An open flame was never allowed inside the magazine."

Would be interesting to see which ships would have the command "Flood the Magazine" as an option under Ship Repairs (hot key "M" or somesuch).