Game-Labs Forum

Hello fellow Captains,

Long ago me and my clan mates discussed a possibility for the Devs to introduce Whaling to the OW.

This could be an option such as fishing which would in return enhance trading and economy as whaling was one of the most rewarding, however, harsh and gruelling activities in the Age of Sailing.

If such a gameplay opportunity exists it would:

1. Enhance Trading and Economy, by adding additional depth to it (new resource, balance difference between other rare resources);

2. Enhance PvP. It could potentially bring more traders into deep seas where PvP would be done. To go into more detail, these would be specific zones for, say, whale migration, thus making some waters more dangerous and profitable. In return, not only us, PvPers, the Master Race, would benefit but also those who trade would have to defend themselves by adding combat ships to their whaling fleets;

3. Enhance Global Chat trash talk and PvE rage (depends);

4. Add some side history to sailing vessels and the region.

The resource would obviously be, Whale Oil and it should be extremely rewarding, however, balanced between other resources so they don't become obsolete.

What is very important - do not make it as a fishing option or Pray option (yes, I know). This should be a completely different action, which can be done at specific zones (need to do some animal migration research there) so it does not come a free ticket to unlimited wealth and has it's downside.

I haven't thought about this in more detail but I'm keen to participate in developing this with and advice etc.

Please share your thoughts on this.

May the wind be with you,

HMS Victory

b903d4c531973d2af99cc02b9c2708b9.jpg

• Like 1

Due to political incorrectness, neither whaling nor slavery will be included into NA.

Above being said - IMHO: 

I would like to have both in for historical correctness.

Its part of our history and it should be allways reflected so we never forget that and learn why it was/is that bad.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, sveno said:

Due to political incorrectness, neither whaling nor slavery will be included into NA.

Above being said - IMHO: 

Its part of our history and it should be allways reflected so we never forget that and learn why it was/is that bad.

Yes, it is part of our history and should be reflected true as it is. Players, who show any disregard should be punished accordingly if any issues arise. If it becomes a major concern then we can consider removing such options if they have been added.

52 minutes ago, sveno said:

Above being said - IMHO: 

You think whales will take offence to whaling in a video game?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sveno said:

Above being said - IMHO: 

Instead of slavery, IMHO devs could introduce an obligation for captains who lose in PVP, to serve his/her victorious counterpart with a couple of simple runs in his/her favor, for instance, before being allowed to return to their true selves/ports. Or pay some ramson instead.

54 minutes ago, Jœrnson said:

If someone goes whaling here I call my friends from Sea Shepherd :ph34r::P

I will do it. ohh, and BTW, the cannons on a Ship in NA are a great way to deal with  eco terrorists like Sea Shepherd :P

Edited by [HRE] Lanfire
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rediii said:

Why do you sail every day from gustavia to KPR for example?

Can you tell me where do you sail your countless hours every day?

Why do you assume that someone do like you do?

https://gyazo.com/836230627f1d2609b69b6230ba39df1e

~1 hour upwind in 2nd rate from Tumbado to Champeche. (no nation towns near) 30 mins of grinding hosti. ~~1 hour sailing back.  3h to play PvE.

Open world sailing shuld be 30% faster.

2 hours ago, sveno said:

WTF, where do people get the idea that the great and terrible boogeyman of political correctness whoooooooooo has anything to do with it?

Historical whaling is not controversial. Did everyone miss the fact that there was a major Hollywood motion picture in the last three years where all the heroes were whalers? Where Moby Dick is a central classics of American literature? You can go to the Mystic Seaport Museum right now and get a whaleboat demonstration, while they tell you all the exciting and gory details of a Nantucket Sleighride and 'cutting in' afterwards. And there aren't any hushed tones or guilty whispers or 'now remember kids...'

There's just no particular reason for whaling to be in a naval combat game set in the Caribbean. It would either be a lame afterthought with no detail, or complex and costly feature creep on an epic scale.

Whaler NPCs would be nice, but you would need to retrofit a ship model for them.

1 minute ago, maturin said:

WTF, where do people get the idea that the great and terrible boogeyman of political correctness whoooooooooo has anything to do with it?

Historical whaling is not controversial. Did everyone miss the part where there was a major Hollywood motion picture in the last three years where all the heroes were whalers? Where Moby Dick is a central classics of American literature? You can go to the Mystic Seaport Museum right now and get a whaleboat demonstration, while they tell you all the exciting and gory details of a Nantucket Sleighride and 'cutting it' afterwards. And there aren't any hushed tones or guilty whispers or 'now remember kids...'

There's just no particular reason for whaling to be in a naval combat game set in the Caribbean. It would either be a lame afterthought with no detail, or complex and costly feature creep on an epic scale.

Whaler NPCs would be nice, but you would need to retrofit a ship model for them.

FLUYT, Groenlandvaerder, we stilll need a freeking Fluyt the backbone of every major merchantfleet

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pietjenoob said:

FLUYT, Groenlandvaerder, we stilll need a freeking Fluyt the backbone of every major merchantfleet

Fluyts were mostly a 17th Century vessel. By the late 18th Century they were little different from any other mid-sized merchantman, and were not influential outside the Netherlands.

It'd be nice there were some sort of OW resource that players can come across, harvest and sail back to port.  It would create another dynamic to the gathering aspect of the game that is missed in naval action.  Maybe hover over a spot in the ocean that has like a whale symbol, click fish and harvest oil.  

Either way, it's content....which is sorely needed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, maturin said:

Fluyts were mostly a 17th Century vessel. By the late 18th Century they were little different from any other mid-sized merchantman, and were not influential outside the Netherlands.

explain then why France and English for example have literally Fluyts or how ever u want to spell it in there fleets and even plans of it??

4 minutes ago, pietjenoob said:

explain then why France and English for example have literally Fluyts or how ever u want to spell it in there fleets and even plans of it??

Like what? And when?

'en flute' just means a warship sailing with reduced armament.