Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
harry

idea to promote good sportsmanship

At the end of each round, each player could get two "stars" to optionally award to another player by clicking their name in the score list. Each one would be worth an extra % increase on the damage they did that session (so it would be a similarly appreciable amount regardless of what you were sailing in)

you could of course stack them both in to one player if they were particularly excellent performers.

Pretty much like a karma system on a forum.

guns of icarus online has something like this where you can give your team and the enemy an + for good play

might be usefull for playerreputation amoung the comunity just like the Likethispost system.

Open to clan exploitation.... people will be like school children giving stickers to their friends... 

There is no shortcut to a good community.

• Like 1

It shouldn't give a damage boost, make it like league of legends of your going to do it at all. Basically you can commend someone and if they get enough unique player commendations they get a little badge on the loading screen. It's doesn't mean anything in the end but it lets people express thanks to an opponent or teammate. I don't see the need for it but some people like it I guess.

I'm all for being awarded something like a badge for being sportsmanlike but I don't agree with awarding extra damage. Like others said it would be exploited badly.

Open to clan exploitation.... people will be like school children giving stickers to their friends... 

There is no shortcut to a good community.

nothing to add.

everyone saying different should skim the forums to find complaints of the first week of early access..

• Like 2

No rewards in the game.

Make a section here on the forums just for kudo shoutouts and video sharing of quality sportsmanship.

It game rewards will be gamed and abused. Not everyone is a sportsman...

• Like 1

The thing i am observing ingame currently is if you work with friends, people compete with eachother to get the most damage and there's no way to share your success. There is friction among those who want to work together because the bigger ships "steal" all the damage purely for their higher DoT.

I do like that there is some competition over kills but it does hinder the progress of people you want to work co-operatively with. Maybe some other solution could be reached, like a score bonus for surviving the battle. That way there would be a reason for small ships to stay with large ships rather than try to isolate targets on their own so they can get the most possible damage from them.

I have introduced 4-5 people to the game and they are levelling more slowly than i did, purely because usually when they play i am playing too, and i have a bigger ship than them. it's a little unfair.

• Like 1

... yes, I was also pretty baffled to see (and read) how important gaining dmg-points became to most of even the higher ranks. Me, a major IRL and not an Admiral, don´t feel like ready for a Constitution, Victory or Santissima, and can imagine improving game-/teamplay with my brig or Surprise.

just saw it ingame again - a brig went and attacked an isolated AFK player instead of helping team against live threats

not that i blame him! the poor little brig couldnt do much against a surprise but the game currently does not incentivise him to help in that situation at all.

just saw it ingame again - a brig went and attacked an isolated AFK player instead of helping team against live threats

not that i blame him! the poor little brig couldnt do much against a surprise but the game currently does not incentivise him to help in that situation at all.

if later on open world the poor brig captain will be promoted to post captain and will be asigned a fishing cutter as promotion if he leaves his team behind and is resposible for the possible loose of the ship the teammates are useing. just because the current gameplay forces us to farm damage this will change in near future.

agree completely, but i also think its good to create incentive structures to create an experience something like we might get in the final game. For example they have a progression system and they will wipe progress from tiem to time to make sure everyone isnt just in the victory and santisima, as it will be like this in the final game.

for the purposes of the test there ought to be some structure to encourage co operation and participation

i suppose using "damage" as the currency for advancing ships just inherently biases towards rewarding bigger ships and cutting smaller ones out of the picture. IT would be good to reward other things, that is the base of what i am getting at really.

• Like 1

agree completely, but i also think its good to create incentive structures to create an experience something like we might get in the final game. For example they have a progression system and they will wipe progress from tiem to time to make sure everyone isnt just in the victory and santisima, as it will be like this in the final game.

for the purposes of the test there ought to be some structure to encourage co operation and participation

i suppose using "damage" as the currency for advancing ships just inherently biases towards rewarding bigger ships and cutting smaller ones out of the picture. IT would be good to reward other things, that is the base of what i am getting at really.

No progress wipes.  This greatly hurts the more casual players who aren't in the higher ships anyways.

There are plenty of other methods to keep the number of top rated ships down without making everyone start from square one over and over and over again.

If ANY system of gold star Fellatio were implemented all i'm saying is I don't think i'm getting many gold stars from people. :P

I'd give you my stars, Doran  ;)

That said, Flip did make a good suggestion but I'd like to add on that.

Since ribbons are currently randomized on ships and will be removed and needed to be earned, maybe there could be a form of 'good sportsmanship' ribbon/pennant? 

I'd give you my stars, Doran  ;)

That said, Flip did make a good suggestion but I'd like to add on that.

Since ribbons are currently randomized on ships and will be removed and needed to be earned, maybe there could be a form of 'good sportsmanship' ribbon/pennant? 

Awarded by whom?  You run into the same problems discussed in the first part of the thread.

how is it a "problem" if multiple players all decide that certain players are good to sail with?

how is it a "problem" if multiple players all decide that certain players are good to sail with?

Because populous societies turn it into a farce of what it is supposed to be.  It's a popularity contest, not a measurement of sportsmanship.

• Like 1

in a game about naval combat, how does one become popular other than by making the game a better experience for others

In Alpha this feature is (in my opinion) a waste of time, when immediately after battle all the testers return to the open chat and discuss the battle they just participated in. I've seen many people use words to commend enemy players who fought well. Perhaps as numbers grow and exploiters become more numerous a rating system could be introduced. Each player gets the opportunity to rate his or her opponents individually. If they play a game and run endlessly, go afk or ram without good cause, they get a little black star. Get enough of these and you may not be able to do battle again for x amount of time.

In Alpha this feature is (in my opinion) a waste of time, when immediately after battle all the testers return to the open chat and discuss the battle they just participated in. I've seen many people use words to commend enemy players who fought well. Perhaps as numbers grow and exploiters become more numerous a rating system could be introduced. Each player gets the opportunity to rate his or her opponents individually. If they play a game and run endlessly, go afk or ram without good cause, they get a little black star. Get enough of these and you may not be able to do battle again for x amount of time.

I like your optimism about people but these kinds of reporting systems are not always used for what they are meant for. If you give players the tool to ''black star'' others then I can imagine sooner or later the better players start getting them out of nowhere because they happened to make some idiot angry by not making the battle go their way (in other words: win) and out of sheer frustration and jealousy they might call their whole society/guild to ''black star'' someone who simply defeated them. I can not see that the dev team will have time to manually go through these and that would be the result sooner or later if it was automated after certain amount of black marks. Happened before in other games.  

I always say GG at the end of the battle, which is nice.

Later in game, there should be awards and medals for some extreme brave actions. Given to players by game, not by players.
The idea of promoting good sportsmanship is nice, but have to many holes, and bad people could use it not properly.

It shouldn't give a damage boost, make it like league of legends of your going to do it at all. Basically you can commend someone and if they get enough unique player commendations they get a little badge on the loading screen. It's doesn't mean anything in the end but it lets people express thanks to an opponent or teammate. I don't see the need for it but some people like it I guess.

This is the only way Imho too that this could be added, if it were to add stats or points and any score bonus it would be exploited quick snap.

As in League of legends where its just a token, a thumbs up if you wil and nothen more.