Game-Labs Forum

Little things you'd like to see

Why should NAVAL ACTION give anyone unrealistic, unhistorical advantages ?

Why does NAVAL ACTION work with totally unrealistic and unhistorical advantages or perks?

They ruin any feeling of reality and equal chances for non-PIRATE players, and give PIRATES advantages, which the real pirates never had.

Why should PIRATES have an unreal bonus like their SPEED PERK?

If PIRATES want to sail faster than NATIONS ships, they should use fast, agile ships, like LYNX or PRIVATEER - like they did in real life.

But if they use frigates, why should their frigates be faster than any high-tech NATION's ships, like Great Britain's?

(Oh, and of course, the NATIONs perk "PIRATE HUNTER" should also be dropped !

Why should the NATIONS be able to load faster, because they are fighting PIRATES? Makes no sense at all.).

As it is now, PIRATES come sailing right in front of a NATION's capital with a small fleet of ENDYMIONs or INDIFATGABLES,

since both types are FAST, AND CARRY HUGE GUNS (42pd Carronades - on frigates!).

Since these ships are available, PIRATES can approach almost EVERY other ship, and since no-one can run from them,

due to their SPEED PERK, they don't need cannons - they come with 42pd Carronades, shoot up your crew, and you are done.

You will rarely find them sailing any other ships - the combi of speed AND huge carronades is perfect for them.

Does ANYone among the NA Devs truely believe, that PIRATES could have sailed right in front of PORT ROYAL

and plunder British ships, without getting caught in the act?

And here we come to another unrealistic setting: the immediate closing of battles.

If such a raid would have been tried by PIRATES, the British ships nearby would have come to help, and the PIRATES would have had to run,

or they would have got sunk, or caught and hung. THAT was Pirates' reality - unromanticised!

It must have been real HARD to survive as a Pirate.

As it is now in NAVAL ACTION, PIRATES are now just like any other NATION, plus these advantages.

This has NOTHING to do with Pirate Life. Why have just another NATION, called PIRATES - why not give them a realistic situation?

Why not have PIRATES who really deserve the name, and get their business done under realistic conditions?

THEN you could be REALLY PROUD of being a PIRATE!

From my previous posts you must have seen: I am a BIG fan of NAVAL ACTION.

So, this is not meant to be a frustration-rant.

This is written with all my hope and best wishes, that NAVAL ACTION could and should become a REALLY great game!

I second this!

We normally use only exceptional upgrades.

With Marines, we use green, blue, mc and exceptional.

Maybe rest of the upgrades should have similar system.

Ummm, not a lot of the people I play with.  I mainly play with fine upgrades.  The better the upgrades obviously I want to use, but it isn't always available, and this seems to be true for many of pvp2 atleast.

I have all parts together and I craft a ship.

There could be a cost.  The builders who craft the ship, would need salary, and we need to rent the shipyard.  Bigger the ship, more expensive it is.

Frigate 100k

Victory 10m

Easy way to make victories a bit more rare.

This makes me think the game would become much more mercantile than it already is.  

• Like 1

"Battle open"-Timer and "MISSION open timer" mixed up ?

It is highly riskful recently, to take on MISSIONS, because pirates or other enemies could still join in

even after 30 minutes. Newbies want to use MISSIONS for sailing and gunnery training,

but now nobody really dares to use them anymore.

On the other hand, the real BATTLE in the Open World will be closed at once, when it is started.

Other ships, altough well in sight of the beginning battle, cannot join anymore.

Both seems very unrealistic, and without any sense.
Players only get frustrated, when their attempts to join and help in a combat, are getting choked like this.

Proposals:

- close MISSIONS right after start, so that newbies dare to do some training again

- let the Open world BATTLEs open for at least 5 - 7 minutes,

- or expand the outer circle much more, so that all ships well in sight of the clashing ships

can still try to sail to the fight and assist one or the other side

As it is now, players in my NATION are only frustrated about BATTLES, and don't sail MISSIONS no more.

Edited by Olham

"Battle open"-Timer and "MISSION open timer" mixed up ?

It is highly riskful recently, to take on MISSIONS, because pirates or other enemies could still join in

even after 30 minutes. Newbies want to use MISSIONS for sailing and gunnery training,

but now nobody really dares to use them anymore.

On the other hand, the real BATTLE in the Open World will be closed at once, when it is started.

Other ships, altough well in sight of the beginning battle, cannot join anymore.

Both seems very unrealistic, and without any sense.

Players only get frustrated, when their attempts to join and help in a combat, are getting choked like this.

Proposals:

- close MISSIONS right after start, so that newbies dare to do some training again

- let the Open world BATTLEs open for at least 5 - 7 minutes,

- or expand the outer circle much more, so that all ships well in sight of the clashing ships

can still try to sail to the fight and assist one or the other side

As it is now, players in my NATION are only frustrated about BATTLES, and don't sail MISSIONS no more.

Ive played ow since it started and seen it go through all its timers,phases, br limits etc and i hold the same opinion as day one.

Im on a pvp server and do NOT like anything that lets try hards grind away in pve heaven. I dont mind pvp closing because its pvp and was thought out but ive watched thousands of people on a pvp server who spend thier entire career hidden in pve missions 5 minutes from capital.

Now FINALLY these players risk having to be a part of the game. Plus these missions now have a purpose in the game. IF they want to hide in pve then fight bots.

-Id like to see, more resources from sunken ships, barrels of supply's scattered thru game opened like sealed bottles,​ with wood gunpowder food ect,

​first or 3rd person walking in ports going to billboards for missions or bounty's other players place, taverns to drink or recruited from kind of like mount and blade style,

-first or 3rd person ship captains were we can walk and inv other players to our ships, mabe when we inv them they appear in a dingy next to our ship and climb up ladder on side of it,

-a personal captain  would be awesome to walk around and be him, maybe customization to him by rank and faction, town duels were u fight with a sword or pistol to cap city with other players.

- maybe treasure maps if u went that route in sealed bottles also so u can take ship ort it next to island and find treasure and dig for it

(PVP and PVE based)

Suggestion: Allow the "Friending" of NON-Nation players in game.

- Just as simple as that. Would like to know when new acquaintances are online, without bogging down global chat with searches and personal inquiries. EX: "hey X,  are you on?" 

Suggestion: Allow Indefatigables and Endymions to be broken down for parts -- not necessarily for BP's but at least for Parts.

- sell back prices are pretty low, and they are better served as parts acquisition ships, after the challenge of capturing them.

(PVE based)

Suggestion: Allow non-nation players to form groups.

- This to allow new players the ability to pair up with more experienced players regardless of nationality in order to show/teach them how to play more effectively. Would also allow them to join in missions together for better instructional means. Or to just help the bloke out who is having a lot of difficulty and no one on their nation is present or being helpful.

To all Veterans: Thank you for your service. Never forget! - Takes just a Pittance of Time to remember those who have gone before us, and gave that ultimate sacrifice.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=a+pittance+of+time+terry+kelly&view=detail&mid=E5DDED3F4183A9B3B002E5DDED3F4183A9B3B002&FORM=VIRE

-Yankyaeger, USN

Edited by yankyaeger

TRUE PIRATE LIFE - Ideas for a more historical PIRATE system

A]  PIRATE PORTS - PIRATE PROVINCES - PIRATE PORT BATTLES

PIRATES never had provinces and well-visible port towns in real life - PIRATES had hiding places.
    So, after the wipe, the areas and ports for PIRATES could be NEUTRAL ports, which everybody
    could use, but in which ONLY PIRATES could build BUILDINGS - not every BUILDING perhaps -
    maybe special PIRATE-typical BUILDINGS. I call them NEUTRAL/ PIRATE PORTS in the further.

Once a NEUTRAL/PIRATE PORT would be used by a high enough number of PIRATES,
    it would become VISIBLE - now it's colour would change from NEUTRAL to PIRATE PORT.
    From this point on, the port would be known to all NATIONS, and could be port-battled.
    PIRATES would have PORT BATTLES this way.
    If the NATIONS succeeded in the PORT BATTLE, all PIRATE WAREHOUSES and docked ships
    would be lost for them, and the port would change to a NEUTRAL / PIRATE PORT
    again, until the whole repeated.
    If the PIRATES succeeded in the PORT BATTLE, they would have the chance to either move
    all their goods to another, yet "secret" NEUTRAL / PIRATE PORT - or they could stay and try
    to defend this PIRATE PORT against further attacks. But maybe PIRATES should never have
    more than 3 - 5 such visible PIRATE PORTS, to keep it historically close enough.

PIRATES should NOT be able to conquer a whole region / province. But maybe they should be
    able to PORT-BATTLE single ports, and thereby turn them into NEUTRAL / PIRATE PORTS?
    These could be used like described above, until re-conquered by NATIONS.

B]  TRUE PIRATE HARDSHIP - FOR TRUE AND PROUD PIRATES 

It may be hard for PIRATES to make any prey. But it is not good for NAVAL ACTION to have
    fake and very bad tricks going on to help the PIRATES survive.
    After all, PIRATE life was, what it was - they were hunted, and they were mostly operating single,
    and they were hiding a lot.
    PIRATE life maybe only for the best among the NAVAL ACTION players.
    It IS hard to survive as a PIRATE - and it SHOULD be. All NATIONS definitely had stronger
    forces, and many more ships. Let the PIRATES make the best of it.
    THEN they can be proud of being true PIRATES.

What is an EXTREMELY UNSATISFYING SITUATION is, that PIRATES can hide in MISSIONS,
    and stay in BATTLE SCREENS as long as they want. They only have to kill the newbie, who is
    training in that MISSION, and then they can stay inside. Via TeamSpeak they can communicate
    with one ship outside the MISSION, and hop out if there is any prey - or just to run home.
    They might as well have 'wormholes' - "beam me up, Scotty!"
    We all know, this is so BADLY UNREALISTIC, that it should be eliminated. Even the PIRATES
    themselves know and feel, that this is EXTREME CHEATING. And even if the same tricks could
    be used by NATIONS - it remains something VERY UNREALISTIC.
    So please - remove that; it only annoys hundreds of players.

I hope that the NAVAL ACTION DEVELOPERS read and consider these ideas - I developed them after talks with many other players.

Edited by Olham
  • Like 1

I'd like to see removal of crafting SOLs replaced by some sort of national only admiralty system.  You have to earn the right to commission an SOL through raising hostility, port battles, and protecting your home waters.  You can request your SOL make at your nations capital and once you earn your commission you can pick it up at your capital. Through a hidden leaderboard system only 1 or 2 players from each nation would be able to commission a first rate. If captured by other players, you must reapply and there is a possibility of your commission being taken away by the admiralty office.

I would like to see removal of anyone being able to dock & store anything but trade ships, except for maybe pirates, at free towns. 

• Like 1

Why are marines not counted as crew during battle? They are soldiers right? Wouldn't they be familiar with cannons, and help out until the call for boarding went out? But ok, lets say they are not familiar with cannons, wouldn't they be up on deck shooting their muskets at any crew visible on the enemy ship? Couldn't they at least help with crew losses? It just doesn't seem right that they would just stand around until needed to board the enemy vessel. Could this be looked into, to see if a change might be possible? 

One of the games that I had a lot of fun with is Port Royale, 2, and 3. these games have some features that would be a great addition to this game. I would like to see us being able to pull into a home port, and then being able to pick officers to add to my crew. With different abilities that could be added to the ship's abilities. We are seeing some of that now. But I would like to see a picture of the character and not just a name. We will lose our officers in battle, and would like to make it feel like a loss by having an officer being able to learn more abilities. I believe we have something now in place. Which is good, but it is only one officer at the moment. it would be nice to feel some kind of attachment to the crew and we would make fighting decision based on whether we want to risk our ship and crew.  There is a feature in the Port Royale games that is very addicting to play, and a lot of fun. They have a tavern in the port that you can gamble some of your money for a chance of getting more money. I would like to have the Dev's look at this feature, for themselves, to see if they could come up with something like this or see if this would be a good fit with Naval Action. It would add some depth to a already great game. Just an idea to discuss with everyone.

Edited by Robert Lance

1 hour ago, Hodo said:

Marines on a Royal Navy ship do not perform ship functions.  They are there to protect the ship and the officers from boarders or perform boarding operations.   They do not know how to operate the ships cannons.   And the idea of musket fire has been discussed and ultimately decided it wouldn't work as intended.  

Then crew numbers should not be reduced.  Having cake and eating it too.

34 minutes ago, Hodo said:

I am not disagreeing with that at all.  But in reality Marines take berth space, and a ship can only hold so many souls.  So you have to decide, do you take more able bodied sailors, or marines?

Well I suppose I agree with that as well, but then the solution should simply be to make the Extra Crew Space upgrade and the marines mutually exlusive.  If you have extra crew space then you should be able to put the marines in that space, and if you already have extra crew space for crew, then the marines would be too much for it.  So mutually exlcusive upgrades, IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed that Dutch towns in PvE have their own 3D models to look more "Dutch" (more wooden structures and steeples) while other countries' towns (especially the United States, but also Pirates and others) use an apparently Spanish model (tall, faded stone/coral towers that look like Spanish missions and the colonial quarter of Santo Domingo).  Any chance the models could move toward nation-specific versions, based perhaps on drawings of the individual capitals from the time period (Charleston, for example)?

• Like 1