Game-Labs Forum

Little things you'd like to see

I would like to see crab fishing in the Bearing Sea.

If by this you mean NPC fishing vessels leaving home ports and fishing, then yes I too would like to see this. Different types of fishing vessels with different types of cargo depending on what part of the globe you are in would be neat. Crab fishing, tuna, haddock, Salmon, whale, shark, the list goes on. Of course having these things in game is due to historical significance, and not because the game is trying to encourage fishing endangered and/or protected species in the modern day.

how about adding an other camera angle platform in the crows nest 

spotter with telescope for spotting far away boats  B)

That would help. I would like to suggest 2 additional features.

1 would be that your telescope has settings and setting is displayed inside the spy glass as you look through it so when you roll your mouse wheel to zoom in it would go from 1 (closest) to 10 (furthest) and each setting is a specific range (1= 0 to 20 meters, 2 is 20 to 40, etc) so this would give you a general idea of distance away another ship is.

2 is a heading indication displayed in the spyglass view. If you were actually on the deck of the ship and you were facing a heading, as you scanned the horizon and turned,myou would have a general idea of the relative bearing of another ship as you turn. You can feel the wind and sun move across your face, the direction that the sunlight is coming from, sound of the waves changing as you slowly turn, et.. My point is you would have a few subtle indications of the direction you were looking. From the screen, keyboard and mouse we don't have that so an indicator in the spyglass vies would be handy. Even just a simple E, SE, S, SW, W, NW, N, NE.

• Like 3

I looked and could not find this, although it has been talked around in some posts and that is a "Most Wanted" list, unique for each of the main powers with a bounty associated to each, based upon whatever their infraction was (ie #10 sunk a merchant ship and we will pay 100xx but #1 attacked a port and we will pay 1,000xxx.

This could also stimulate a nice cottage industry of bounty hunter.

I may be in the minority on this but I feel that piracy in this game should be minimal at best. With Piracy in the Caribbean all but dead by the early part of the 1700's there should be enough controls in the game (like how could they even get enough men to crew a 1st rate  as someone said in another post somewhere) to discourage piracy. Otherwise Naval Action will end up as just a new updated version of every other Pirates vs rest of the world kind of game instead of something much broader and deeper.

Just my opinion :)

That would help. I would like to suggest 2 additional features.

1 would be that your telescope has settings and setting is displayed inside the spy glass as you look through it so when you roll your mouse wheel to zoom in it would go from 1 (closest) to 10 (furthest) and each setting is a specific range (1= 0 to 20 meters, 2 is 20 to 40, etc) so this would give you a general idea of distance away another ship is.

2 is a heading indication displayed in the spyglass view. If you were actually on the deck of the ship and you were facing a heading, as you scanned the horizon and turned,myou would have a general idea of the relative bearing of another ship as you turn. You can feel the wind and sun move across your face, the direction that the sunlight is coming from, sound of the waves changing as you slowly turn, et.. My point is you would have a few subtle indications of the direction you were looking. From the screen, keyboard and mouse we don't have that so an indicator in the spyglass vies would be handy. Even just a simple E, SE, S, SW, W, NW, N, NE.

No thanks to any high tech "sensors". Maybe more than 1 spyglass with a long delay as our midshipman hands us the new one and we focus it. If I see meters floating over ships again, I will actually shed a tear, I'm not kidding.

Yes, I don't want to see any indicators for range. Stick with the mechanics that we have now for shooting as it's one of the best features of the game.

I guess I would agree, I think minimal changes should be made to the shooting, it looks pretty fun in the videos to me.

You will soon get used to estimating range pretty accurately by eye over time, based on the size of the ship etc.... I am sure those of us who have spent any amount of time at sea would agree that you can get pretty damn accurate eventually. In any case you are going to be using ranging shots, the actual distance really doesn't matter, just can I hit him or not?

• Like 2

I've been watching some of the videos for quite a while now. It would be nice if the cannons had more bass and I do hope theres crew chatter. Maybe even go as far to having quiet chatter during calm moments and loud chatter during engagements along with specific commands coming from the captain and other officers.

Ok, new suggestion:

I'd like to see some sort of consolidated update of what happen since I last logged in.

General information for all:

Who is at war and who signed a peace treaty.

What ports may have changed hands.

What new industries, dockyards, suppliers have opened.

Perhaps large contracts signed (today Engaland commission the construction of a dozen 1rates to be built by/at xxxxxx

Nation specific info:

New discoveries that have been made known to the nation (very limited shelf life before it becomes known to all)

Any new technology improvements.

Info as to where shortages or abundance exist for a particular item

Perhaps current trade prices at a port based upon the last ship that returned from that port

Basically a daily newspaper of what's happening in the world today.

• Like 4

Ok, new suggestion:

I'd like to see some sort of consolidated update of what happen since I last logged in.

General information for all:

Who is at war and who signed a peace treaty.

What ports may have changed hands.

What new industries, dockyards, suppliers have opened.

Perhaps large contracts signed (today Engaland commission the construction of a dozen 1rates to be built by/at xxxxxx

Nation specific info:

New discoveries that have been made known to the nation (very limited shelf life before it becomes known to all)

Any new technology improvements.

Info as to where shortages or abundance exist for a particular item

Perhaps current trade prices at a port based upon the last ship that returned from that port

Basically a daily newspaper of what's happening in the world today.

Good idea, maybe this can go with another guys suggestion that anyone out at sea wont get the latest news until they return to a port. Would make players paranoid of approaching ships at all times. :P

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

My first suggestion is based purely on emersion.... and from the videos posted. Namely period uniforms or dress for the Officers and Crew and the national vessel.

Add to that the regionalised barking of orders and sounds of the vessel both in combat or just maintaining a course.

for example on a British vessel, shouts during combat of "Beat to Quarters" "Look lively there lads" "To your stations" "You Sir, yes you sir.... quick the action!" "Less gawking boys" etc etc

• Like 1

My first suggestion is based purely on emersion.... and from the videos posted. Namely period uniforms or dress for the Officers and Crew and the national vessel.

Add to that the regionalised barking of orders and sounds of the vessel both in combat or just maintaining a course.

for example on a British vessel, shouts during combat of "Beat to Quarters" "Look lively there lads" "To your stations" "You Sir, yes you sir.... quick the action!" "Less gawking boys" etc etc

Hehe, "start that man there!"