Game-Labs Forum

First look of iPad version

Nick Thomadis

Hello Generals,

Today we would like to show you a small sample of Ultimate General: Gettysburg for iPad.
The iPad version will offer a different gameplay experience and new features such as artillery limbering, night battles and a revamped GUI.

More info will follow soon. In the meantime, you can take a first look of the game.

Happy Holidays!

• Like 1

Fun little stylised game. But cross plat forming means this will never reach it's potential. No supply lines, no messengers, no wargame features moving forward if it is going on ipad it will stay small time and just an over view summary kind of game. Wish I had known it would be going cross platform from the start as I would have been less inclined to support it.

Time for me to start looking forward to scourge of war waterloo instead. Gettysburg will unfortunately never challenge total war as I had hoped. Now I know why the map is just a 2D picture.

• Like 1

Yes in the next patch we will have:

Artillery Limbering, Night battles, Some Battle UI enhancements + various other, most importantly AI & gameplay stuff.

Awesome! The last patch blew me away! I can't believe how well the Johnnies use cover now when they attack me! Its made holding my ground pretty tough! I can't wait to see how much the game changes with the next patch!

Still waiting for that response.

Why is the iPad version so much prettier-looking than the PC version? Are you going to update the PC version with the iPad version's superior aesthetics and UI?

The ipad version was decided to differ in several aspects so as to appeal more in the tablet market. As a parallel but different project it got some aesthetic and other improvements that can later be added to the PC version. Already some of these improvements are in works to be included in the next patch of the PC version.

The icons were originally put on the troops to enable players to more easily click/control their units.  

With the improved controls and the ability to surround units and move them as a group it seems like the game mechanics have improved sufficiently to eliminate the need for the infantry, cavalry, & artillery symbols superimposed on the units.

It would be great if we could turn off these symbols - the visual appeal would be increased (look more realistic) without the troop icons IMHO.

Also it would be great to have the CSA & US flags look like they are battlefield standards rather than the flat paper-looking appearance.

Note that artillery and cavalry both fought under the guidon rather than the rectangle flags shown on the current units.

Night fighting could use better star shells and graphics to light up the night

Wish you guys still had choose your own adventure type style after each level

Don't know why you can't beat the last level

Glad to see some cavalry represented maybe more than on just one mission for the confederates

Balance has really changed between both armies

Love the limbering, unlimbering

Still seems like the campaign has repetitive levels

Signed up to say This iPad version looks absolutely fantastic. Its one of my most anticipated games of 2015 easily. 

I do hope that the game is the complete PC experience. I would hate to see the game needlessly chopped up or to see in-app Purchases thrown in just because its on a tablet. 

I hope its a Premium Game with a fair and premium price point. If games like XCom on iOS are any indication, hardcore strategy fans are more than willing to pay a higher price for a complete and quality product.

1.Wish I had access to playtesters forums but I wish some of the remnants of the first version like scenario choosing were incorporated in the second version of the iPad beta. It's probably easier to do it linear for iPad though.

2.I think the night scenarios should be improved upon. I actually think instead of both campaigns having a night mission where you sneak around, there should be some actual missions that involve night combat. Of course the lighting system for the flares would have to be DRASTICALLY improved. But imagine GREEN or RED flares shooting up to light the background every once in awhile when units bump into each other and start fighting.

3. I love the option to fortify! I wish that it could somehow be represented on game.

4. Also I like the fact that there's an increase in calvary. I still think that it should be represented better.

• 4 weeks later...

The game on iPad is excellent, but I just finished all the missions and I would like to continue to play it. Replaying the missions would be boring.

Why don't we have the possibility to play skirmish games? I mean by that a mode in which we would select a map, the amount and the type of troops for each side and then fight to control the center of the map, or to cause the more losses.

Even though we would loose the historical side, we would be able to play a lot of different configurations and therefore to use a lot of different strategies, so that the life time of the game would increase dramatically. And to add this mode doesn't seem to me be a technical challenge, since the maps are already created.

And like winjammer, I would also like to have a multiplayer mode.

But anyway I enjoyed the game very much and I will wait for your future releases.