Game-Labs Forum

Ship request - 2nd rate

admin

You may wish to consider the french vessel Le Mars an 80 gun second rate.  A detailed model can be seen, from different perspectives, here and here  http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66592.html   .  It was eventually captured by the British.  See:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duc_d%27Anville_Expedition  .

large.jpg

I like this one. Model looks amazing as well!

Le Mars was tonnant class with no information about its servise according to french wikipedia. There is HMS Mars 80 gunner but it is different ship launched 1848 (bit too late in timeframe). The model in Greenwich indeed looks like tonnant  althrough its description states that includes fittings of both french and english designs and refrains of classing the model mentioning that its probably not made to scale.

Im making Bucentaure class 3d model tho, Ill make a post when i have more progress :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Or we could put HMS Barfleur in and I shall donate money to have it done :P

Mind you adding both would be a plus too!

Well we already so many British ships, so let's get one from another nation first, for diversity's sake :)

That's not to say I wouldn't love to see HMS Barfleur ingame, I surely would, she's a fantastic looking ship (no less attractive than the Christian VII), but I'd just like to see the Christian VII in first for the sake of diversity :)

• Like 6

Total support the Christian VII. She is the most wanted second rate, and with 90 guns perfectly closes the gap between the 74 Bellona (or the upcoming 80 Bucentaure) and the 106 Victory.

Furthermore it would be nice to have a flagship of a nation that wasn't involved in the Battle of Trafalgar but in the one of Copenhagen.

And she is the most beautiful threedecker I've seen so far.

Blue-EagleGer

• Like 3

Total support the Christian VII. She is the most wanted second rate, and with 90 guns perfectly closes the gap between the 74 Bellona (or the upcoming 80 Bucentaure) and the 106 Victory.

Furthermore it would be nice to have a flagship of a nation that wasn't involved in the Battle of Trafalgar but in the one of Copenhagen.

And she is the most beautiful threedecker I've seen so far.

Blue-EagleGer

I think the issue isn't so much that the Christian VII wouldn't be a great fit or isn't popular, rather they seem to be looking for a very Generic looking 2nd rate with no distinguishing characteristics.  Why I don't know but that seems to be what they want.  Christian VII might have a little too much character for what they are looking for.

An 80 gun vessel is technically a third rate (according to the Royal Navy rated system) so that wouldn't be applicable for a second rated ship (this is referencing the time of the Bucentaure as ships from the 1740s and earlier would have fallen into the second rate category of 80 guns yet the Bucentaure comes a great deal later than that). I can't recall if 80 guns comes under a second rate for the French system however although I don't believe that it does.

bear in mind that it could easily carry more than 80 at one point it had 86. also look at tonnant when the brits took her - depending on the captain it varied from 84 to near 90.

regardless. it would be n nice to have both a 2 deck and 3 deck 2nd rate. apparently the 2 deckers were very good sailers. 

ps. does it matter if its made by a player if it is compatible with the game? frees devs for other ships or the open world

Edited by DazednConfused

• 1 month later...

HMS St Michael

Class and type:     1719 Establishment (1732 rebuild) 90-gun second rate ship of the line

Tons burthen:     1,567 long tons (1,592.1 t)

Length:     164 ft (50 m) (gundeck)

Beam:     47 ft 2 in (14.38 m)

Depth of hold:     18 ft 10 in (5.74 m)

Propulsion:     Sails

Sail plan:     Full rigged ship

Armament:     90 guns:

Gundeck: 26 × 32 pdrs
                                        Middle gundeck: 26 × 18 pdrs
                                        Upper gundeck: 26 × 9 pdrs
                                        Quarterdeck: 10 × 6 pdrs

Forecastle: 2 × 6 pdrs

Edited by HMS Scatter

HMS Royal Katherine

Class and type: 1741 proposals (1749 rebuild) 90-gun second rate ship of the line

Tons burthen: 1689 tons bm

Length: 168 ft (51 m) (gundeck)

Beam: 48 ft (15 m)

Depth of hold: 20 ft 2 in (6.15 m)

Propulsion: Sails

Sail plan: Full rigged ship

Armament: 90 guns:

• Gundeck: 26 × 32 pdrs
  • Middle gundeck: 26 × 18 pdrs
  • Upper gundeck: 26 × 12 pdrs
  • Quarterdeck: 10 × 6 pdrs
  • Forecastle: 2 × 6 pdrs

Edited by HMS Scatter

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/3750-list-of-ships-and-other-vessels-in-the-game/

If you have a close look at Brigand's sheet you can see what kind of ships are either in game or in development.

There is already a 3rd/ 4th rate in development. The "Ingermanland".

Why 3rd/ 4th? Because depending on the time you look at it you can classify this hsip as either of both.

In the early 1700 the Ingermanland would be a typical 3rd rate whereas in the late 1700s or 1800 you would classify her as an 4th rate due to its age.

This post does not need a reply if you think it answered your question.

Keep this topic on the focus of 2nd rates.

If you want to suggest other ships feel free to open threads. But make sure you open a NEW ship's thread.

Many forum users did a lot of work finding ships. And you can already find lots of 4th rates and their plans for example.

• Like 1

A ship with a much richer history and a long and successful career: Rayo (San Pedro Apostol), 1768

It spent much of her life as an 80-gun ship, but for Trafalgar was already armed with 100 guns. It was the oldest ship to participate that battle.

As 80-gun ship

plano-rayo-80.jpg

30 24 pounders
32 18 pounders
18 8 pounders
2 3 pounders

As a 100-gun ship

plano11_max.jpg

el-rayo-max.jpg

30 36 pounders
32 24 pounders
30 8 pounders