Game-Labs Forum

Rework of the Repair System

The Repair System is often Discussed and often hated by many.

Especially in PvP

And I actually think. The Best would be to completely Rework it.

For that Purpose.

I think Ships should get Hard Damage. And Soft Damage.

Hard Damage being Irreparable during Combat. (Can be Repaired Instantly when Docked or over Time when on OW)

While Soft Damage being repairable Damage during Combat.

We should Create a 4th Consumable which is Masts and Machinery Materials.

Which will be used for Critical Repairs.

Critical Repairs thus now costing Consumables and Masts being moved under Critical Repairs instead of Rigging.

Rudder and Pump being fairly Cheap in Repairs. While raising a New Mast Section of course will be really Hard.

(As an sidenote I also think the New Masts should be Build up one after the another instead of just Suddenly having all Masts again)

And the Big Change.

The Repairs should be a Crew Allocation instead of an Fixed Button.

Meaning that you can Allocate Crew to Repairs and they will do the Work. Constantly and without any Timers.

Meaning that if you have the Spare Crew to do it. You can constantly attempt to Repair Soft Damage at the Expense of Reloading and other things slowing down.

And of course at the Expense of an Constant Drain of Repair Materials based on the Repairs.

Allocation is of course Selective. So if you Allocate People to Repair and got all Repairs Selected they will Spread evenly. If you tell them to Ignore a certain Type just like with Guns and Sailing.

They will move to the Active Parts and thus do them First.

Now what does this System do ?

Well its doing quite a few things actually.

A.

It will remove the current thing of who has more Repairs Wins. Because the Repairs will now be Slower but in exchange Constantly and at the Expense of that Crew working the Ship.

While at the same time not making Repairs entirely useless for Battle.

Because while Repairs are now going on Constantly and without any Timers attached aside from actual Repair Speed. They are Limited by Receiving Hard Damage. Thus not being able to Repair back to 100% or just keep Running and Repairing if your the Faster Ship.

""

Also goes for Crew. Basicly having Dead Crew and Wounded Crew.

B.

It gives Additional Crew on the Ship a Reason to Exist. Thus resulting in Crew Upgrades actually making Sense.

And also the Mini Repair Updates Speeding up Repair or Increasing Repair by tiny 2% would now have a completely different meaning :)

C.

It will create some more Depth to Crew Management. And also add more Realism to it. Cause in Reality Damage Control was usually happening all the Time during the Fight.

D.

It gives us the Option to Create some new Depth with the Help of Mods and Upgrades.

Allowing Upgrades to Reduce Soft Damage thus remaining in Fighting Condition without Repairs for longer. Even tough the Hard Damage is fully done. Meaning that its a Good Upgrade for Short Fights.

Or Upgrades to Reduce Hard Damage thus being able to Repair more of the Damage you Receive and thus being able to Duke it out in Prolonged Fights like Port Battles. Where the Hard Damage from Repeated Engagements might at some Point take over so much that despite Repair Crews and Sufficient Materials your Ship is wreckage.

Upgrades that increase the Ratio of your Crew Losses that goes into Wounded Status rather than being Killed and thus never coming Back :) Especially the Ratio you have for Melee and Boarding Combat. Thus allowing you to get back alot of your Crew you lost in Boarding.

But of course also Upgrades that Increase your Hard Damage. Or your Soft Damage. Looking for a Fast Victory or for an Upper Hand in a Fight of Attrition.

I think this System would Serve the Game far better. Than the current "Now we Repair X Percent of the Ship" Button :)

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of current repair system but I'm not sure if complicating it with even more consumables and mechanics would be the way to go (although I would prefer the much slower repairs via crew). Would 'hard' dmg be done to a certain percentage or would shots cause differing amounts of hard and soft dmg? Surely the players with consumables would still win most of the time.

After playing Legends for a bit I really like the lack of armour repairs - you still have cooldown repairs for sails/pump/rudder etc but mistakes really matter now rather than running away for a few mins to repair and reset. Perhaps armour repairs should only be useable on the OW and ports?

3 hours ago, Fellvred said:

I'm not a fan of current repair system but I'm not sure if complicating it with even more consumables and mechanics would be the way to go (although I would prefer the much slower repairs via crew). Would 'hard' dmg be done to a certain percentage or would shots cause differing amounts of hard and soft dmg? Surely the players with consumables would still win most of the time.

After playing Legends for a bit I really like the lack of armour repairs - you still have cooldown repairs for sails/pump/rudder etc but mistakes really matter now rather than running away for a few mins to repair and reset. Perhaps armour repairs should only be useable on the OW and ports?

Actually on Surface this would be easier. Cause no more X Amount of Repairs needed. No more Timers.

Just like Sailing and Gunnery you Select Crew and it Repairs till your Full Health or out of Materials.

Hard Damage would be a Certain Ratio.

But different Weapons and Mods would have different Ratios.

Also hitting different Hitzones would cause more Soft or Hard Damage.

After all. Armor below Waterline is much harder to Repair than Armor on Upper Deck.

Well that Depends.

If the Enemy is highly Modded to do Hard Damage your Repairs might not be as useful.

And you yourself could mod yourself to take more Hard Damage but littke Soft Damage. Thus you not having much option to Repair Damage but also being able to Fight longer without Repairs.

If you got alot of Spare Crew you would if course use that for Repairs. Prolonging your Life. While with a Ship that has lots of Guns and thus usually lacks crew you might be better off to Mod for less Soft Damage as you likely wont Repair much anyways :)