Game-Labs Forum

3 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Sounds like some one got beached and didn't listen to the warning and than got owned by AI or players...lol  I'm waiting for the first port battle where a whole team of scrubs ends up beached and complains.

I think everyone already knows we are not doing this for the money. You can judge it by the patches. We just want to make age of sail as beautiful as it was.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, admin said:

I think everyone already knows we are not doing this for the money. You can judge it by the patches. We just want to make age of sail as beautiful as it was.

Ya'll keep doing what your doing. I mean I might bitch and scream at times, but I got my money worth on all my accounts way long time ago.  I mean I got around 4-7K hours on this game in more than one account so your doing something right.   Though the more recent changes have been towards a very good direction and they are keeping me and others happy.  There will always be folks that won't be happy and just want to hate on every thing.  That is why I think you should add one more rule to the forum rules about none players trolling the folks that still play.  Sorry if you stop playing the game than shut up and let the rest of us enjoy it.  No reason to stick around and continue to be negative cause you didn't get your way or the game you wanted.  It's the Devs game and as you have said many a times, "We build this game for us."

• Like 5

13 hours ago, admin said:

I do hope the ambition is a bit higher than that. If not just *reset all patches and it is as beautiful as it was.

I do think you want, why els develop on it. And I do hope one of the ambitions is to make a game, that ppl would like to be part of.

Edited by staun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Ya'll keep doing what your doing. I mean I might bitch and scream at times, but I got my money worth on all my accounts way long time ago.  I mean I got around 4-7K hours on this game in more than one account so your doing something right.   Though the more recent changes have been towards a very good direction and they are keeping me and others happy.  There will always be folks that won't be happy and just want to hate on every thing.  That is why I think you should add one more rule to the forum rules about none players trolling the folks that still play.  Sorry if you stop playing the game than shut up and let the rest of us enjoy it.  No reason to stick around and continue to be negative cause you didn't get your way or the game you wanted.  It's the Devs game and as you have said many a times, "We build this game for us."

I think I will tell you a little story from the real World. In my 15 years as in middle management(150 employes). I if put hard could devide ppl up in tre groupe.

1: ppl who did there job and never complained. The basicly just was there until they just one day out of the blue resigned.when I asked why. They just said it wasent right for them anymore. Most time after a little talk, small thing could have done that we had keept a good and stable employe.

2 This group just said yes to evrything I came and wantet to do.” Good idea, lets do it”. But I fast learned to do some extra questions, to be sure it was a good idea. And maby make some change so it would work for them to.

3 group Challenger my on evrything. It was at times tiresom, and made us spend more time getting startet. But those ppl gave me to thing. 1 when we where finished debating. I knew that it was the right plan we had and that it would work.  2 I had ppl who was passionet about there job and realy wantet it to succes.

My point is in short. There are a lot of players here, that just play and never raise there voice. They like the game and they play. They dont, they leave. And we have a smaller population. * who like evrything, then there is a group(think you Call them harers, and some dont play and some do). They are passionatet about the game, and want to tell how they think this could be an even better game. Like the rest sometime they are right and some time they are wrong.

Is there a point in here. I do think so, But I will let it be up to evry single one to make there Owen.

Edited by staun

1 hour ago, staun said:

I do hope the ambition is a bit higher than that. If not just rest all patches and it is as beautiful as it was.

Leeway and sideforce is very beautiful. But you only notice if you stop staring down the gun barrels and think about that time you were sailing IRL.

Staun, you are right.. and that story is actually from a website... I have read the article too...

In short it says for every happy employee who says nothing and leaves, you have 1 loud employee who says everything and leaves...  When all you had to do as an employer was just make a minor change to keep the happy employee, and possibly attract more like them.

But this is not a job... this is a game, a game being designed by the developer for his own entertainment.   While he makes some poor choices they are for his game.   If you dont like it you can always do like many others have done and leave. 

I dont think it matters to the ADMIN any.

Just now, maturin said:

Leeway and sideforce is very beautiful. But you only notice if you stop staring down the gun barrels and think about that time you were sailing IRL.

I just wish I could trim my ships rudder to adjust for leeway.. like most ships would do.  Or an aircraft.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Odol said:

I just wish I could trim my ships rudder to adjust for leeway.. like most ships would do.  Or an aircraft.

With variables aye. Something I like with 1C il2 is that atmospheric conditions can vary, taking on the ship trimming to fly proper :) and being slightly different everytime.

In NA we have it constant.

6 minutes ago, Odol said:

Staun, you are right.. and that story is actually from a website... I have read the article too...

In short it says for every happy employee who says nothing and leaves, you have 1 loud employee who says everything and leaves...  When all you had to do as an employer was just make a minor change to keep the happy employee, and possibly attract more like them.

But this is not a job... this is a game, a game being designed by the developer for his own entertainment.   While he makes some poor choices they are for his game.   If you dont like it you can always do like many others have done and leave. 

I dont think it matters to the ADMIN any.

No it is not from a website. It is part of my live. And as I said, evryone should find there own point. 

And yes it is a game and not real life. But I actually think it is one of the strong side of the game, that we have this forum. How many game do you know where players have so much room to say what they want as in this game, without of getting a Ban.

1 hour ago, staun said:

No it is not from a website. It is part of my live. And as I said, evryone should find there own point. 

And yes it is a game and not real life. But I actually think it is one of the strong side of the game, that we have this forum. How many game do you know where players have so much room to say what they want as in this game, without of getting a Ban.

Most of the sandboxes that I play in.... I could list them but that would be considered advertising.

1 hour ago, maturin said:

You don't do that IRL.

You would end up sailing in circles.

Leeway does not change the heading of the bow.

What about trimming of the sails? 

10 hours ago, Wyy said:

do you have plans on adding real life currents in battles aswell?

In battle it would be an unnecesary complication. In OW though it could be a great solution to create highways - eg. to add 2-3 "currents" which would increase your speed in a given direction. It could make traders and players use those currents, focusing PvP in the area...

...or it could completely break gameplay. It's a gamble :)

Hell, to make things more complicated you could add:

• leeway from hull surface above water
  • tides
  • reverse jibs
  • taking wind from a leeward ship
  • demasting and sail destruction from overburdening sails
  • crew kills and gun destructions while shooting when angled too much
  • musket fire
  • ships surrendering rather thank sinking
  • waves behaving differently based on current and wind combinations

None of this adds any gameplay value though (maybe apart from the last one)  :)

Edited by vazco

22 minutes ago, jodgi said:

WTH!? What do you imagine ships do, or aircraft?

Most prop aircraft, or in a lesser case, jet aircraft.  But you can trim the rudder, and ailerons to remove the slip and roll of the aircraft caused by the prop rotation.  

Most modern prop boats have trim planes for that very reason also.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Odol said:

Most prop aircraft, or in a lesser case, jet aircraft.  But you can trim the rudder, and ailerons to remove the slip and roll of the aircraft caused by the prop rotation

True. But the nose is pointed at some given point and the aircraft is headed at a slightly offset point, trim or no trim.

2 hours ago, Odol said:

Most prop aircraft, or in a lesser case, jet aircraft.  But you can trim the rudder, and ailerons to remove the slip and roll of the aircraft caused by the prop rotation.  

Most modern prop boats have trim planes for that very reason also.  

Leeway is more analogous to altitude lost by a glider.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, admin said:

We accept the fact that this game is not for everyone, and embrace it. If someone tries to please everyone he usually ends up pleasing no-one. Naval Action lees to a realistic side.

Players  players who believe that

• shooting games should have ironsights
  • ww2 plane games should not fly like flying saucers
  • car games should have handbrakes and drift
  • ship games should care about wind and its effects

Will be happier. 

Players looking for clicker heroes experience or other casual experiences (huge market for some developers) will not be happy with naval action at all. You should not force yourself to eat thai food if you hate thai food. 

Maybe you are looking for a casual sailing experience which we never promised and there are such games on the subject. We will continue adding realistic mechanics that make game play better if they improve combat gameplay depth and add fun.  

Your right about one thing, if a game doesn't suit your tastes then its not the game for you and for this reason I dont blame you or other people wanting this kind of realism in the game. Some people thrive on mental and physical challenges that's what makes each game unique and catered for those people. However and why I think this kind of implementation is wrong is because there's only so many of those people in the world who want the whole experience, a good example is when people complain about how few are in the game now to pvp with, a main reason global merged with EU in fact.

You keep segregating people with these kind of actions soon there will be to few people left playing. Its a game and the people who play the game come with all sorts of tolerances and wants. Dev's despite being the overlords of their world really have to look at balance when it comes to catering to their utopian dream game beacuase its about other people otherwise they are going to get nothing but torches and pitch forks in the forums or people leaving. A lot of talk about Ship Balance, but less about Game balance.

Example - When we talk of realistic features that were not implemented because they would have broken the game like running aground on rocks, people are quick to say yup its good that's not there.

When i bought this game I was after a battle simulator which means I could concentrate more on shooting my enemies and tactical positioning. Instead I have to somehow miraculously multitask for several different jobs all at once. For example a failed turn because I am also trying to fire my cannons during that turn. On a ship you maybe the captain but your not the only one working, there are crew member and lesser officers helping co-ordinate or carry out these commands so they happen without fail they are independent and automatic. Yet we accept this mechanic because it makes for interesting battles. A dozen tall ships however being blown slowly to shore, not so interesting.

What it feels like now is the game is turning  into more of a sailing simulator game that just happens to have cannons and politics. Sailing for me is becoming annoying and unenjoyable, especially when im trying to loot some ship before it sinks but leeside winds are making it twice as hard to reach my target than before. Who knows how many good books Ive missed in the past because i wasnt able to get to a ship in time so imagine this with leeside adding to my frustrations.

Lets face it as well the Ai isnt the smartest either it will beach itself and there are plenty of screenshots to prove it.

Anyway I dont expect you to take my word as prophecy because im only speaking from my level of understanding if you don't accept my arguments that's fine.

Once again good luck and may you see the light of reason one day.

For myself, I want all the realism possible including running on rocks and getting sunk (leaving all your stuff behind for someone else to find) and much more. It should be dangerous to be at sea and not just because of enemys. The sea it's self can be your worst enemy.

Fair sailing and Happy New Year 

• Like 1