Game-Labs Forum

Just now, Batman said:

Seems like some ports like Bluefields and Cartagena are now virtually impossible to capture because whole fleets are about to get stuck on the beach. Leeway will give battles a whole new strategical level.

wind changes in port battles, so if you are stuck near shore you have a chance to move away eventually

We will change wind in instances over time too (we will update it too)

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, admin said:

wind changes in port battles, so if you are stuck near shore you have a chance to move away eventually

What you need to do also is to introduce an ANKER to prevent further offshoring in leeway coasts.

36 minutes ago, NethrosDefectus said:

And when you are pummelled to death while waiting for the wind to change?

Fear the leeshore. Avoid it. Throw away the arcadish mentality embrace the wild power of the wind ;-)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seraphic Radiance said:

This post basically says we can't program - Unstick button, so if you for some reason get stuck we don't care.  

P.S. Game is so slow now, especially in larger boats.Title should be changed to Simulator and not MMO game. I guess my days are over here.

Farewell. 

The game can't and shouldn't hold your hand for everything. If there is no skill and thinking involved its just a boring shooter with the one that has the most guns wins.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Seraphic Radiance said:

... P.S. Game is so slow now,...

What are you talking about? Turning with full speed? Try battle sails. Speed over all? Haven't noticed any changes regarding Max speed. Reaching your point of interest in battle ini? Don't try to sail straight at your target think about your and your targets leeway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aegir said:

Nice, haha!

Did someone say Mortar Brig meta to pick off the helpless stranded ships? :D

I have an alt that carries the mortar brig perk just for port battles.  One of the reasons some folks think I wasn't in a port battle when I was and calling it..lol, but that put a side I'm all ready seeing even more improtants in bring one for some of the port battles.  Specially the bigger BR ones that are in closed harbors or such which can be very deadly depending on the wind upon attack.   Even in a big battle we lost I still sunk a 1st rate or two before I was taken out, so I can just see how deadly they will be now.  Not to mention against silly AI.

1 hour ago, Batman said:

Seems like some ports like Bluefields and Cartagena are now virtually impossible to capture because whole fleets are about to get stuck on the beach. Leeway will give battles a whole new strategical level.

This just means you can't bring all SOL's, you will need to mix it up a bit on both sides.   Even though on GLOBAL we defended it several time, we found our make up of defending ships at Cart was not doing well. I spent most the battle in a L'Ocean trying not to sink.  Good thing was that meant they weren't firing on the rest of my team, but it started to be a pattern where I decided it might be best if I stop bringing a L'Ocean to that port battle.  Now the shallow entrance is even more deadly to fight in cause you can get stuck easily in there.

49 minutes ago, NethrosDefectus said:

And when you are pummelled to death while waiting for the wind to change?

Maybe pick better ships, better entry point and judged the wind better?  All part of being a good battle commander and being able to adapt to changes in the battle.  

9 minutes ago, Sella22 said:

The game can't and shouldn't hold your hand for everything. If there is no skill and thinking involved its just a boring shooter with the one that has the most guns wins.

While I don't want it to be a simulator too, but this is very true.  It will be hard for some, but easy for others, but we should not be holding every ones hands and we should not give every one easy mode.  You want the cool end of game stuff you need to do the hard end of game content.  Now I bet we are going to see a lot more smaller ships taking on big ships and mixed up battles.  Well we can hope.

5 minutes ago, z4ys said:

What are you talking about? Turning with full speed? Try battle sails. Speed over all? Haven't noticed any changes regarding Max speed. Reaching your point of interest in battle ini? Don't try to sail straight at your target think about your and your targets leeway.

One of the things that drove me crazy back when we would be fighting all the time in GLOBAL was almost every one in BLACK had full sails while I'm sitting at battle sails.    Than they get stuck and can't pull out of bad situations that all I had to do is pop full sails and pull right out.  That was back just after the wipe where every one was doing tanked out LO/WO ships with some doing WO/WO and I was over here with a Teak/WO.   By the end of things it ended out the guys that did the best in battles and stuck around was switching to more the WO/WO and Teak/WO misses and going for more the over all all a rounder ships than tanked out slow tug boats.  Slow tug boats are targets in my book. I did enough of that being on an Aircraft Carrier in the Navy (as some call floating targets).   So hopefully we will see more folks use Battle Sails in battle.  There should be some perks like better accuracy (give full sails a penalty to accuracy). 

And I like your point about not sailing directly at your target.  One battle I commanded every one was like why are we going this direction and not straight at them.  As soon as the wind change which was a 50/50 bet on going the way I wanted it to, they understood.  We took the wind from them and caught them dead in the bad wind and was able to take a much stronger force in a battle we should of lost from the start.  This is going to be even more key with the new wind mechanics.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, admin said:

Will give it some time - nothing can be patched until holidays end anyway. All aspects have to be considered of course, including picking up loot. As players who love the leeway might never farmed for books. 

Temp workaround - try to kill enemies when they are downwind.

Why not remove looting and after battle give loot to a guy who killed a bot? I think it's realistic to loot after battle, with small boats. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Seraphic Radiance said:

P.S. Game is so slow now, especially in larger boats.

It is not true. Ships generally tack faster and better than they did pre patch 14. You are probably comparing the turning with the 14.1 experiments which tripled yard power for line ships.

In 14.3 Ships of the line have almost 1.5 speed of tacking compared to patch 13 data. (victory tacked in 2 mins previously and tacks in 1min 20 seconds now from broad reach to broad reach. It tacked in 180 seconds before

• Like 2

My bigger Problem is that my Cannons drown constantly now.

Shooting with the Wind in your back is like impossible cazse half your salvo drowns.

How that Ship can stay above Water is a mystery to me xD

I think they need to reduce Roll a bit there xD

Also the NPCs are Crazy.

They constantly do Reverse Sliding Turns now.

I sometimes feel like they are more comfortable going backwards than Sailing forwards lol

1 minute ago, Sunleader said:

Shooting with the Wind in your back is like impossible cazse half your salvo drowns.

Also the NPCs are Crazy.

I sometimes feel like they are more comfortable going backwards than Sailing forwards lol

Press T and watch magic happen :P

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hethwill said:

leeway1.gif

Well in reality you wouldnt sail like that and have to do all the tacking at the end to get to your destination. You would just set your initial course more into the wind so your course made good was your desired course and you would sail direct to your destination.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, admin said:

do you have plans on adding real life currents in battles aswell?

7 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

Also the NPCs are Crazy.

6 minutes ago, Sella22 said:

Press T and watch magic happen :P

I like to add as long we cant let sails fly. turn your yards out of the wind and wait for your ship to reduce heel to 0°