Game-Labs Forum

10 minutes ago, Aziz said:

Poor Ai never stood a chance. Oh well time to tank up on those floating battery mods because theres not alot of sailing left to do in this game especially in PB that are close to shores like Port de paix.

Haha, maybe the land should get more solid.

Battles in harbors often ended up with a lot of grounded ships IRL. Just another layer of skill required for victory.

1 hour ago, admin said:

are not smaller vessels supposed to have less leeway (be less leewardly)?

Also, well-made two-deckers like Bellona should not suffer too badly from leeway. These were very seaworthy ships that were expected to tack in and out of harbors when conducting a close blockade of Brest.

It was the three deckers who were most vulnerable, by far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maturin said:

Also, well-made two-deckers like Bellona should not suffer too badly from leeway. These were very seaworthy ships that were expected to tack in and out of harbors when conducting a close blockade of Brest.

It was the three deckers who were most vulnerable, by far.

Psst. What books do you read? I want them too

3 hours ago, admin said:

For immediate release! Extreme importance.

All veffels are subject to leeway but some are more leewardly than others. Captains commandeering leewardly veffels in battle must keep distance from land and shores. Strong wind will make it impossible to maneuver out and will eventually beach your ship. Captains are encouraged to use this information to their advantage and attack leewardly ships close to land when wind is blowing to shore.

Veffels lost due to beaching or grounding or captured or destroyed due to beaching and/or grounding will not be recovered or replaced by the Admiralty and Support services. 

Appendix: Ships with stronger leeway

• All ships of the line.
  • Wasa.

The Waffa can't poffibly uncurr anything that makef it leff than a Fuperfhip!!

Edited by Sea Fox
Inserting typos :)

Awesome new mechanic. The coast of Oregon, where I live now, has claimed many vessels from this. Some of their wrecks become visible from time to time when uncovered by storms.

I would like to see the use of anchors be implemented and the use of ships boats to have a possibility of not going aground or Of being able to refloat your ship if it is not stuck fast. 

Those that get grounded should leave in their place their loot and wreckage so it can be retrieved by who ever gets it. There is a lot of good game play that could be built on this.

Fair sailing and a Happy and Prosperous New Year to all.     

• Like 2

YUCK, ok i gave it a chance but this rates up there with all the other major synaptic misfires of late. Its like playing witha sticky key that strafes you sideways, for what better purpose, none. I'd say well done but just another reason, in fact the last reason for me to say good luck and fare well.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Aziz said:

YUCK, ok i gave it a chance but this rates up there with all the other major synaptic misfires of late. Its like playing witha sticky key that strafes you sideways, for what better purpose, none. I'd say well done but just another reason, in fact the last reason for me to say good luck and fare well.

ARMA III of sailing game, mate. Just gently tap A or D from time to time

3 hours ago, Aziz said:

We accept the fact that this game is not for everyone, and embrace it. If someone tries to please everyone he usually ends up pleasing no-one. Naval Action lees to a realistic side.

Players  players who believe that

• shooting games should have ironsights
  • ww2 plane games should not fly like flying saucers
  • car games should have handbrakes and drift
  • ship games should care about wind and its effects

Will be happier. 

Players looking for clicker heroes experience or other casual experiences (huge market for some developers) will not be happy with naval action at all. You should not force yourself to eat thai food if you hate thai food. 

Maybe you are looking for a casual sailing experience which we never promised and there are such games on the subject. We will continue adding realistic mechanics that make game play better if they improve combat gameplay depth and add fun.  

• Like 13

I'll give leeway some chance to be balanced. Some ships now feel and look like they're not even touching the water. The keel touches nothing and the water gives no resistance. Naval Action: Tokyo Drift edition. However to be honest my initial impression is gameplay>realism.

Gameplay value dropped quite a bit for me. Leeway can be alright in a PvP-chase or in a mission where it's just about drowning everything. But when you are grinding slots on a ship and at the same time looking for those skillbooks that we all need to look for because they are not craftable, so you attack AI fleets, then it is just singularly frustrating when you cannot loot the ships that you sank: Because the AI takes so long to sink you already drifted away from the. Because the AI sailed upwind right before it sank. Because the AI beached themselves - which they always will do if there is a beach of any kind nearby - and if you go after them to loot you will get beached too. And then there's all the times that you finally manouver yourself back upwind to the wreck of a sunken ship, only to realize that the ship has sunk too deep for it to be possible to loot it  - even though it doesn't look like it's that deep. A waste of 5 minutes here and another 5 minutes there.

I guess I'll start bringing an alt with me in all battles, in a ship that doesn't suffer that much from leeway, so that I can loot more of those rig repairs and basic upgrades that are all I seem to ever get...

Simulators are great fun. I'll sink 200 hours of playtime into a good simulator, easily. It's something quite different that gets me to play a game for thousands of hours however.

Edited by Anolytic
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

I'll give leeway some chance to be balanced. Some ships now feel and look like they're not even touching the water. The keel touches nothing and the water gives no resistance. Naval Action: Tokyo Drift edition. However to be honest my initial impression is gameplay>realism.

Gameplay value dropped quite a bit for me.

Will give it some time - nothing can be patched until holidays end anyway. All aspects have to be considered of course, including picking up loot. As players who love the leeway might never farmed for books. 

Temp workaround - try to kill enemies when they are downwind.

• Like 2

Apropos realism. Could we do something about:

-Unrealistically accurate guns that make the demasting fest a thing

-Unrealistic OP RNG-dropped modules that give magical stat bonuses to ships

-Unrealistic Port Battles where attackers start with the wind in their face or in any other way unfavourable wind conditions in a well prepared assault

(-Unrealistic absence of whaling boats and slaveships)

-Magical safezones? (To be honest I don't mind them, I just wished the game encouraged players to leave them from time to time)

• Like 10