Game-Labs Forum

Prussia,Russia,Poland Why?

7 hours ago, admin said:

We rely on references provided by polish players. @Bart Smith advised us on the naval jack and provided how it look historically.

Mr. boom said it best. It could be improved. Right now it just looks like some Shutterstock vector done in MS Paint. The arm itself lacks the little shadow and depth details that the examples @Bart Smith showed in his earlier thread. 

5 hours ago, boom said:

Hard to see but that is what the banner looked like.

It could by 'improved' by using a fictional one such as this, I guess:

182_d_l.jpg

image.thumb.png.c710b5ca681177cf4f5cd369e0adb432.png

2 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Commonwealth was a collection of states right ? All of them flew the polish eagle as fleet pennant atop ?

Nope - Commonwealth was union between Poland and Lithuania.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish–Lithuanian_Commonwealth

But most of ships were sailing as privateers ships under polish crown (letter of marque)

Only Kurland (vassal state to polish crown) Tobago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonization_attempts_by_Poland

Our lords were busy to taking Ukraine and Russia those days and quite too greedy to support Kings with build better fleet. Thats why Crown use privateers most time.

Now show me Russian and Prussian colonization at Caribbean please.

38 minutes ago, Bart Smith said:

Flag we have in game is best quality you can find online.

I am looking for similar (does not have to be same) quality of what you have on your signature there and in that last image you posted. The arm in game is just one solid color. No color to create muscle tone or anything on the arm. 

Edited by Davos Seasworth

6 minutes ago, Davos Seasworth said:

I am looking for similar (does not have to be same) quality of what you have on your signature there and in that last image you posted. The arm in game is just one solid color. No color to create muscle tone or anything on the arm. 

joUJyxO.png

There is shadow but less visible. You have to ask @Barberouge as far i know he know details.

Here:

2000px-Polish_War_Jack_17th_century.svg.

Where flags, ensigns and pennants in this period are concerned there was a bewildering variety of them around, The Royal Navy for much of this period flew either a Red White or Blue ensign depending on which fleet they served, before the White Ensign became the de facto Ensign of the Royal Navy, also the Union Flag also changed when the Red Saltire was added.

The United States also had several variations of the Stars and Stripes, the Polish /Lithuanian  Commonwealth would also have subtle differences in the flags they flew representing those nations but sailed under their Privateers colours as common recognition flag. France too, changed her National flag and Naval Ensign in this period.

The Skull and crossed bones was also used a lot less than supposed, Pirates would often use an individual flag, usually on a Black ground, the skeleton or bones  in one form or another would have been used  to intimidate potential victims. 

National flags then, as well as Ensigns were treated with respect and reverence,  by friend and foe alike, they represented home, not necessarily the country, or the Monarchy but the people themselves whom the sailors fought for whether voluntarily or not.

It would only be eye candy, and perhaps, another layer of immersion but maybe the inclusion of these different flags, giving choice for clans to fly, within reason a different flag for perhaps the region they operate in or in representation of a group of allied clans within the nation.

14 minutes ago, Sir Lancelot Holland said:

The Royal Navy for much of this period flew either a Red White or Blue ensign depending on which fleet they served, before the White Ensign became the de facto Ensign of the Royal Navy, also the Union Flag also changed when the Red Saltire was added.

Which squadron (red,white or blue) of the fleet.

I'll be honest here while I like the idea of unique flags, nations, ect I do no think it works for RvR gameplay for this size of a game.  Most RvR games go with a holy trinity of 3 nations and I think that's for a reason creating more dynamic RvR warfare.  Yes, I know there were many different nations in the Caribbean during the rough timeframe but for more decent RvR (which seems to be pretty elusive) we might need to think about taking down some of these nations and changing pirates to be similar to the new nations (aka start with no ports, no safe ports).  Having these nations is great for more PvP options but for general RvR I think it dilutes the player pool.  Perhaps going back to a GB, FR, and ESP with pirates and US starting like the invasion nations would be more dynamic?

Note: There are other things that could help RvR as well.  This is just one suggestion for piecing together a better RvR.

Edited by Dharus
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bart Smith said:

We all know this is not much but at least there is some historical ground about Polish activity on Caribbean. Remember that Admin post fictional news from Europe in result we got Caribbean Invasion here.

St.Thomas @ virgin-island  was Danish and Brandenburg-Prussia trading point for slaves. And it was for a view years under B-Prussian Government.

4 hours ago, William Wade said:

Which squadron (red,white or blue) of the fleet.

It would depend, partly on whether an Admiral of the Red White or Blue fleets got the assignment, squadrons would often have different homeports, in an area but not necessarily from the same fleet so Portsmouth may find ships from all three fleets in port, also ships from the Red fleet could easily be found temporarily assigned to a White squadron yet still be under the authority of their own fleet commander, while also under direct command of an admiral of the White and under direct instructions from the Admiralty in London. The Captain, fleet commanders, and Squadron commanders would all receive a copy of the orders and separate instructions as to who has what responsibilities.

It was an over complex system, where  disputes over the interpretation of orders were common, which in part led to dissolving the Red and Blue fleets and placing warships under the White Ensign, The mercantile Marine adopted the Red Ensign and mercantile ships under  command of retired RN officers and eventually the RNR/RNVR would fly the Blue Ensign, RMS Titanic is probably the most famous merchant ship that flew the Blue Ensign.

2 hours ago, Sir Lancelot Holland said:

It would depend, partly on whether an Admiral of the Red White or Blue fleets got the assignment, squadrons would often have different homeports, in an area but not necessarily from the same fleet so Portsmouth may find ships from all three fleets in port, also ships from the Red fleet could easily be found temporarily assigned to a White squadron yet still be under the authority of their own fleet commander, while also under direct command of an admiral of the White and under direct instructions from the Admiralty in London. The Captain, fleet commanders, and Squadron commanders would all receive a copy of the orders and separate instructions as to who has what responsibilities.

It was an over complex system, where  disputes over the interpretation of orders were common, which in part led to dissolving the Red and Blue fleets and placing warships under the White Ensign, The mercantile Marine adopted the Red Ensign and mercantile ships under  command of retired RN officers and eventually the RNR/RNVR would fly the Blue Ensign, RMS Titanic is probably the most famous merchant ship that flew the Blue Ensign.

Source?