Game-Labs Forum
notrobenom

Long-distance trading, is it worth it?

4 minutes ago, Speedy1 said:

Is it actually possible to sell any trading good for 3X the price you buy it for? I havent found anything yet atleast..

Any tip?

I have not seen anything that goes for 3x since pre-patch.  2x max now.  The trick with this is exploiting the common 100 ton weight.  A TBrig carries 17 items regardless of cost/profit, therefor it is pointless to carry low cost items.  A 300 Real per item profit is not nearly as good as a 3000 Real per item profit.  Thus, only carry items that generate a large profit per item.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Speedy1 said:

Ofcourse!

But cant really find those "BIG shiny things" That I really want to trade 😕

What do you mean ? Luxury items like violins, artifacts, furniture, stained glass, may yield a wealthy outcome.

Another option is to trade cross national items, for example selling spanish goods in french ports.

Just now, Speedy1 said:

Exactly, jewelry and all this. Ive _NEVER_ found them in any port, ever... :( And ive been looking alot...

Probably you and a lot of other trade moguls. Madagascar jewels :) 

On 2/17/2018 at 8:48 AM, John Jacob Astor said:

Explore a bit until you find a pair of ports where you can shuttle a trade good at a minimum of 2x buy/sell from a port that seems to consistently drop it, to a port that is listed as consuming it (probably a capital port).  Buy an outpost at the consumption end.

Then you can shuttle back and forth to generate cash by sailing and pick up the odd sealed bottle.  Having the outpost will allow teleporting home to spend the money on resources at AI contract prices (resource production cost X4).

Once you get to the traders brig you will be in good shape.  There are some big-ticket items that can be moved a 3x buy/sell.  And snagging labor contracts from bottles will really help if you want to build ships.   Getting the bottles are what really justifies the longer runs.

Trading can be fun.  The method above sounds like work.  Perhaps this style of gameplay is why some players complain that the game is boring and there is too much sailing.

Teleporting one way costs Doubloons and they are precious for new players.  Better to make a profit on sailing.  Even fishing offers a chance of something.

Does the resource production cost x 4 still fill contracts?  I chose not to pay those prices.

I haven't found 3x profit from any shop trade goods.  I haven't caught a bottle in months.

Finding two ports and repeatedly hauling goods from one to the other can become tiresome if too many trips are done.  I use a T Brig and can't find a large source of valuable goods that will allow many trips.  The supply becomes exhausted quickly.  There are some sources with high quantity, low value, goods, but these goods are only worth obtaining if they could be used for crafting.  Transporting low value goods long distances could wear a player out.

Not sure what constitutes long distance trade.  For me more than 30min one way is a long sail.

Long distance trade runs can be worthwhile to 1) accumulate some resources, and/or 2) help other players.  It can be profitable if the goods are of high value and sufficient quantity to fill the ship's hold.

Any run can be worthwhile if another player provides enough compensation. 

When I played before, if you were good at using the trader tool, you could find items at close ports and sail them to other relatively close ports for a reasonable profit. You can't do that now.

While I'm willing to except the cost of captured ships, along with their goods as being the price of doing business. The idea that I can only make profit by taking unreasonable chances, such as sailing into enemy ports with an expensive load, makes zero sense. Its fine if you're in a traders Lynx, but your bulk trade will be very small. Risking a enemy port visit with a pair of loaded Indiaman is financial incompetence. Right now the, 'Load to Time to Profit to Danger' ratio says, find another line of income.

Trading as it is now is fair. The equal weight represents that amount of space used in a hold by the price of the item in question. This gives some trading goods far more value, as is realistic, whereas back in the day when you could have 4k hold of peanut butter vs 4k hold of malabar teak and recieve nearly the same profit. I calculated all of the prices and the trend was the more expensive the item the more profit you would make, however that being said it was between a ratio of 2.3-2.8 of profit the more expensive being the slightly more lucrative. Earning the same money being a peanut butter merchant vs being a malabar teak merchant makes no sense. 

The "back to how it was" advocates are whack if they think that the slight advantage of selling expensive stuff for 15% more is worth it. Now if I find expensive items on a trader I know i'm getting good money back, whereas back in the day you could load up your ship with trader loot and have the same profit every time. m a l a r k e y

On 2/10/2019 at 5:57 AM, Einarr said:

Trading as it is now is fair. The equal weight represents that amount of space used in a hold by the price of the item in question. This gives some trading goods far more value, as is realistic, whereas back in the day when you could have 4k hold of peanut butter vs 4k hold of malabar teak and recieve nearly the same profit. I calculated all of the prices and the trend was the more expensive the item the more profit you would make, however that being said it was between a ratio of 2.3-2.8 of profit the more expensive being the slightly more lucrative. Earning the same money being a peanut butter merchant vs being a malabar teak merchant makes no sense. 

The "back to how it was" advocates are whack if they think that the slight advantage of selling expensive stuff for 15% more is worth it. Now if I find expensive items on a trader I know i'm getting good money back, whereas back in the day you could load up your ship with trader loot and have the same profit every time. m a l a r k e y

I remember "back to how it was" and I made far greater profit on far shorter journeys. Not the 15% you speak of but two, three and four times my purchase price. This current system forces players to take long dull cruises for small profit or hazard dangerous ports for average profits. In my opinion trading is too badly broken to be looked upon as anything other then a waste of time.