Game-Labs Forum

Yet another map: Naval Action map

Felix Victor

@Felix Victor Apologies if already mentioned. But your loot tables seem to be inaccurate (percentage chance of dropping wise) they state there is zero chance of rare book parts dropping from open world NPCs but I have had a fair few drop from them. Could it be the formatting perhaps? i.e the chance is less than 1% so the page just shows as 0

52 minutes ago, Felix Victor said:

This is from API data. 0 means the lowest probability, not improbabie.

Maybe there are several types of loot tables. In one case 0 means the lowest probability. In another case 0 means something other :D

For example LootTable 2068 (this loot table for Small Elite Bots)

Chance Stack.Min

Stack

Max

0 4 6 12pd Obusier
0 4 6 18pd Obusier
0 4 6 24pd Obusier

I always got cannon when sink bot (4 times).
Another case is a sealed bottles (loot tables
604, 744, 602, 669, 603).

The chance to get Art of Steering by Rudder or Art of Cargo Distribution is almost impossible (0,05)

Id Name Chance Stack.Min Stack.Max  
602 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 0.5 1 1 A Treatise on Square Sails Trim
602 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 0.5 1 1 A Treatise on Rigging Handling
602 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 0.5 1 1 Service Historique de la Marine
602 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 0.5 1 1 A Treatise on Staysails Trim
602 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 0.5 1 1 Instructions aux Canonniers
602 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 0.5 1 1 The old Flag Officer
602 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 0.5 1 1 Expert Carpentry Handbook
602 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 0.5 1 1 The Complete Fencing Master
602 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 0.5 1 1 Treatise on Making Saltpeter
603 PortBattleLootTableModules 0.05 1 1 Means of Directing the Fire
603 PortBattleLootTableModules 0.05 1 1 L'Horizon Balistique
603 PortBattleLootTableModules 0.05 1 1 Sur le Canonnage a Bord
603 PortBattleLootTableModules 0.05 1 1 Table of Parts of Ships of War
603 PortBattleLootTableModules 0.05 1 1 Art of Steering by Rudder
603 PortBattleLootTableModules 0.05 1 1 Art of Cargo Distribution
603 PortBattleLootTableModules 0.05 1 1 The Water Book
603 PortBattleLootTableModules 0.05 1 1 The Fire Book
603 PortBattleLootTableModules 0.05 1 1 The Wind Book
603 PortBattleLootTableModules 0.05 1 1 The Ground Book
603 PortBattleLootTableModules 0.05 1 1 The Book of the Void
604 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 1 5 25 French Sail Cloth
604 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 1 500 1500 White Oak Log
604 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 1 5 25 Greenheart Logs
604 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 1 5 25 Swedish Carpenter
604 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 1 5 25 Barbary Coast Canvas
604 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 1 500 1500 Live Oak Log
604 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 1 500 1500 Bermuda Cedar
604 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 1 500 1500 Teak Log
669 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 0.5 3 8 Gold Coast Ivory
669 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 0.5 3 8 Sevres Stained Glass
669 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 0.5 5 25 Diplu00F4mu00E9 d'Artillerie
669 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 0.5 3 8 Gold ingots
669 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 0.5 3 8 French perfume
669 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 0.5 3 8 Sevilla Muskets
669 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 0.5 3 8 Stolen Goods
669 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 0.5 3 8 Madagascar Jewels
669 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 0.5 5 25 Cartagena Tar
669 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 0.5 100 500 Copper Ingots
669 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 0.5 1 7 Labor Contracts
744 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 1 5 25 Grietje van Dijk
744 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 1 5 25 Spanish Square Sails
744 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 1 5 25 Crooked Cedar
744 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 1 5 25 Nassau Quartermaster
744 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 1 5 25 Guacata Saltpeter
744 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 1 5 25 British Running Rigging
744 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 1 5 25 Royal Naval College Graduate
744 PortBattleLootTableCrnotes 1 3 8 Jutland Amber

From how I read it there is a 5% chance to get ONE of the items with ID 603. There are 11 of those in that table. (1/11)*0.05 = 0.004545.... So the chance to get a specific book of that type in that loot-table would be about 0.5%.

ID744 has chance of 100% with 8 items so the chancce for a specific item would be 1/8=0.125=12.5% and so on....

The map has received a lot of interest after the wipe which also means a lot of server traffic. I use netlify to host the site. I have never noticed it or they have changed their pricing model, half of the allowed bandwidth is already used. It will cost for above 100GB. So far I can use their (great) service for free.

I am now considering the options:

1. Hope for the best that the bandwidth threshold is never reached.

2. Try to reduce frequency or amount of data downloaded.

3. Look for another free hoster with higher bandwidth.

4. Try to collect money from users, maybe $20/month needed.

Preferred option is 1, obviously. Option 2 is also related the browser caching, one of the biggest IT mysteries (leading to outdated files). Option 3 might not work (do not know any comparable free hoster, and I need time to move there). Option 4 is my least preferred option as it require payment for a service that I consider should be free (and I would need some time to set it up).

Any thoughts?

Edited by Felix Victor
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Felix Victor said:

The map has received a lot of interest after the wipe which also means a lot of server traffic. I use netlify to host the site. I have never noticed it or they have changed their pricing model, half of the allowed bandwidth is already used. It will cost for above 100GB. So far I can use their (great) service for free.

Preferred option is 1, obviously. Option 2 is also related the browser caching, one of the biggest IT mysteries (leading to outdated files). Option 3 might not work (do not know any comparable free hoster, and I need time to move there). Option 4 is my least preferred option as it require payment for a service that I consider should be free (and I would need some time to set it up).

Any thoughts?

Free woud be best ofc. But i use this Tool on a Daily base  and iam more then Happy to support it financial if needed.

i woudnt try  reduce the Frequency, but rather pay for it - set up and Paypal account were we can pledge a monthly support.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Liberalism said:

How about @Felix Victor you calculate 3 closest county capitals, is that not the rule for hostility missions? Or we can manually collect all the data needed to create the map of front lines.

It is not the direct line between capitals, at least not always. And a nearly correct information is in my opinion even worse than no information at all. See above for a moderators guessing about region shapes but nothing I could neither understand nor use.

The collecting exercise won't work. Too much manual intervention and too faulty.

netlify.com has a new certificate. Firefox might have problems to get the new certificate. Workaround:

1. Go to about:preferences#privacy
  2. Uncheck ''Query OCSP responder servers to confirm the current validity of certificates"
  3. Load the map
  4. Check ''Query OCSP responder servers to confirm the current validity of certificates"
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Felix Victor said:

Any thoughts?

Your map is invaluable to everyone who ever uses it. And you continue to improve it and provide tech support. I think you deserve to get paid. How about a donate button if not out and out charging a small subscription fee?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Felix Victor said:

Any thoughts?

I think if you place a PayPal donate button that you would receive years worth of subscriptions. If this is not viable, perhaps @admin has a free server/space laying around? :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, qw569 said:

@Felix Victor

Maybe you try to move some *.json to another url.

For example when I opened https://na-map.netlify.com/ i see map.

But when i want to see ships then I redirect to https://ships-na-map.netlify.com/ or https://na-map.netlify.com/ships

Do you want to have the ship json file displayed or the ship compare dialog opened, for example?

56 minutes ago, Felix Victor said:

Do you want to have the ship json file displayed or the ship compare dialog opened, for example?

When I visit https://na-map.netlify.com/ my browser download:

• ships.json
  • woods.json
  • cannons.json
  • loot.json
  • modules.json
  • recipes.json
  • buildings.json
  • ship-blueprints.json

Why my browser download its if I need only map?

When I want to see the blueprints or loot, I click on the URL (for example https://na-map.netlify.com/ ships) , and all these files are loaded.

I think this can save traffic.

P.S.

Did you see size of favicon.ico? Image 256x256 have size 229K

Edited by qw569

7 hours ago, qw569 said:

I think this can save traffic

It could but I would need to completely revise the code. Currently, I do not have the time for it (need to be grinding) and the json files use only 60KB. favicon.ico is a combined icon and is cached.

Edited by Felix Victor

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:04 AM, Felix Victor said:

. Try to collect money from users, maybe $20/month needed.

Devs should definitively pay you the Money needed.

Or did you ever thought about selling your whole Project to Game Labs? So that your great map becomes official. You could also make an agreement with them to further develop the map.

Just my 2 Cents though.

Edited by Guest

Hi @Felix Victor,

I have been playing around a little with the NA API and your json files as well. I am impressed how much data you squeeze out of the API. Great job!

However, I have cross-checked a few values and stumbled across some oddities. 

How do you derive speeds? I have read somewhere here in the forum that MaxSpeed*SpeedToWind/13.03 gives the ship speed profile. But applying this formula, I see that the current API data (https://storage.googleapis.com/nacleanopenworldprodshards/ItemTemplates_cleanopenworldprodeu1.json) is not consistent with yours (https://na-map.netlify.com/data/ships.json). Now I'm confused if you use a different formula or is there more stuff to it? Also, maxSpeed does not correlate with the speed profiles. 

How do you retrieve thickness values and mast hp? I do not find any of those in the API. I assume these are also derived values? Are those values reliable? How do you verify they are correct? Same for repair times, repair quantities, turn rates, sailing crew size, leaks, firezone etc. 

Thank you in advance! And once again, great job! Keep it up! Would be happy to donate. 

1 hour ago, van Veen said:

How do you retrieve thickness values and mast hp?

xml game files, locally stored in

steamapps\common\Naval Action\Database\DesignModel\Modules

1 hour ago, van Veen said:

How do you derive speeds?

const speedConstA = 0.074465523706782;
const speedConstB = 0.00272175949231;
const calcPortSpeed = ship.Specs.MaxSpeed * speedConstA - speedConstB;
const speedDegrees = ship.Specs.SpeedToWind.map(speed => speed * calcPortSpeed);

• Like 2

Map will most probably not working after maintenance. I am working on fixing it but I am struggling (also with the unstable hotel wifi). Still works but I cannot update it yet. Found it, update will be deployed soon.

Edited by Felix Victor