Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
Iroquois Confederacy

What Quality of Life Features do Merchants Want?

Recommended Posts

I'm of the firm opinion that the best thing for Naval Action is more merchants in the water.  The more merchants in the water, the more hunters hunting them, the more squadrons hunting after those hunters, the more task forces to meet those impromptu squadrons.

I think everything comes down to attackable merchants in the water.

I think there are a lot of facets there, such as "attackable" that are addressed in other threads.  However, one question I have is:

What quality of life things can be done for merchants that would encourage them to move goods on the water?

I have heard recommendations for ship buy contracts, I know some would like to hover over a port on the map and see what it produces.

What else?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not entirely merchant related but I think a huge QoL change for merchants...and everyone, would be the ability to surrender a portion or all of your cargo against privateers/pirates.

That way the player could keep his ship (if the privateer agrees) at the cost of some (or all) of their cargo. I think the biggest thing that has folks quiting tends to be the loss of everything, ship, cargo, and crew.

I keep hearing from people like @Hethwill and @Hodo who no doubt love sinking players but also would love something like this. It could really improve the merchant life and the privateer life.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not specific to merchants, but the ability to put up a buy contract for ships including what build you want and possible mods.

Also haul contracts

Edited by Slim Jimmerson
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possibly subject to one or more specific perks (if you choose to be a trader you shall take a specific perk and have some advantage in doing this, but you shall also loose some combat capability)

 

1) PERK "negotiator"

- Place orders for ships (both buy and sell)

- hauling contracts for players (with a collateral, "EVE style")

- The possibility to see the contracts that are open in other ports

 

2) PERK "trade routes knowledge"

- A buff in OS ship speed when you are loaded and when you are luffing against wind 

 

3) For everyone sailing a trade ship

- a surrender mechanics that - at the beginning of the fight - leaves the attacker the option to propose surrender:

i) if the trader accepts, the attacker gets his PVP marks, the trader keeps the ships but looses half his cargo and the attacker gets in gold the average value of the other half.

ii) if the trader does not accept, everything is like before.

 

Edited by victor
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ability to place contracts to haul your cargo, as well as players taking those contracts

This could encompass a few things....

Contract placed would create the contract mission which a player could take as the merchant or the escort, these would be shown in the missions tab or a new tab for this entirely.

The player who puts the contract up has a couple options he would fill in, how many escorts he would pay for...max 3, which would be covered by the player who takes it with his Fleet perks to fill, or a group of 3 players taking the roles.

These Contracts would stay up for xxx number of days before the AI takes it, if no players take the contract, the contract would be filled by AI to get completed

The merchant/player would be awarded Trader marks and gold upon completion , Trader marks used to create other Contracts or purchase special merchant type modules etc etc.

more info needed on this but this is just a basic idea, the bottom line is this could encourage player run trader fleets and maybe more OW PvP.

Edited by Mike the Mongel
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

 

What else?

Economy more oriented toward crafting materials and crafted goods, rather than useless "trade goods".  Trade less focused on national captials. 

Prices that follow supply/demand rather than binary "normal price" and 1.  (and contracts?)

Trade that has some effect on ports and nations, rather than simply farming money.  Government dispatches and spy missions. 

Keep in mind, nobody bothers to hunt privateers except perhaps other privateers.  It isn't time effective and there's nothing to be gained.  Caught traders just surrender and move on with their lives. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Teutonic said:

Not entirely merchant related but I think a huge QoL change for merchants...and everyone, would be the ability to surrender a portion or all of your cargo against privateers/pirates.

That way the player could keep his ship (if the privateer agrees) at the cost of some (or all) of their cargo. I think the biggest thing that has folks quiting tends to be the loss of everything, ship, cargo, and crew.

I keep hearing from people like @Hethwill and @Hodo who no doubt love sinking players but also would love something like this. It could really improve the merchant life and the privateer life.

One Bad habit, the attacker is mostly intrested in the easy PvP reward, and not in the cargo, it hurts a lot if u are capturend and read that ur 2 millons worth of cargo is simply sunk. With a Trade ship u are always in disatvantage - lower speed becouse of full cargo loaded, and less knowledge slots. 

Edited by CTC_ClanLeader
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CTC_ClanLeader said:

One Bad habit, the attacker is mostly intrested in the easy PvP reward, and not in the cargo, it hurts a lot if u are capturend and read that ur 2 millons worth of cargo is simply sunk.

shouldn't be any PVP award for sinking traders

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're even remotely interested in trading you should always roll with escort, whether it be AI or player.

I have no sympathy for these 3x trade fleets who don't try to protect their investment

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

If you're even remotely interested in trading you should always roll with escort, whether it be AI or player.

I have no sympathy for these 3x trade fleets who don't try to protect their investment

It isn't time/cost effective to move less product than you can, and if you bring a warship it's probably just going to be sunk anyway. Just surrender and cut your losses. 

Edited by Barbancourt (rownd)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

It isn't time/cost effective to move less product than you can, and if you bring a warship it's probably just going to be sunk anyway. Just surrender and cut your losses. 

Don't bring an escort then, let privateers step all over you without putting up a fight. Just don't complain on the forums.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Don't bring an escort then, let privateers step all over you without putting up a fight. Just don't complain on the forums.

It isn't possible to fight.  Just wastes time.  Nobody who does a lot of trading gets jacked often enough to worry about it. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

It isn't possible to fight.  Just wastes time.  Nobody who does a lot of trading gets jacked often enough to worry about it. 

Yes it is, I've been beaten back by a single trinc escort trying to get his indiamans. While occupied with him, he managed to get 2 of his indiamans out of battle. I did manage seperate 1 indiaman from the pack, but he escaped with most of his valuables.

If he wasn't in the trinc, I would've been able to have my way with his indiaman fleet

 

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

simple:

.  an extra trading officer.

. more ships in my fleet(like a Bellona and a snow and 4 indie man +2100 men) 

. if i want my fleet on the water it must be possible, but now it is restricted to just a invented number not realistic at all.

.log files in the warehouse

.better search system for goods

.search system in the normal warehouse instead of tabs

.more ranks in the trading category

.more upgrades slots and knoledge slots

and a lot more:)

 

 

 

 

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Yes it is, I've been beaten back by a single trinc escort trying to get his indiamans.

 

Dunno  - hundreds of trade runs and I can't ever remember being attacked, LOL. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot: in order to give escort a sense (so you can actually fight back when you are attacked) you could also add a PERK that lets you:

1) enter enemy ports with smuggler flag even if you have a warship in the fleet;

2) sail the trade ship as your main ship in OS but being able to switch to control the combat ship when you enter the battle instance.

Edited by victor
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This would require either doing away with nations entirely (which isn't a bad thing since there is fundamentally no difference between them) or refocusing the game around nations, but:

A formal diplomacy system that allows either clans or nations to set alliances and declare war. This would impact trading thus:

Enemy traders could be captured for ships, cargo, prize money, and a small PvP reward (for trade ships, warships would be a larger reward)

Friendly traders would be off limits, if you attack them (i.e. they are allies but a different nation/clan) you get penalised monetarily and pvp marks.

These first two traders can only enter friendly or neutral ports. Moderate trading rewards in terms of XP and gold.

Neutral traders can be attacked for ransom to the player and confiscate cargo, but the ship cannot be captured and if you sink it you get penalised gold. These traders can enter any port, but get smaller rewards overall than the first two.

Smugglers would become a subset of traders that could are either ally or enemy (no neutral option) without penalty. They have the advantage of being able to still enter enemy ports and also get the highest rewards.

I'm still fleshing out the idea, but this is the basic concept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, victor said:

I forgot: in order to give escort a sense (so you can actually fight back when you are attacked) you could also add a PERK that lets you:

1) enter enemy ports with smuggler flag even if you have a warship in the fleet;

You currently can enter an enemy port with a warship in the fleet, it just has to be in a fleet slot and not the player-controlled ship (I think this may be unintended, but it is possible)

Quote

2) sail the trade ship as your main ship in OS but being able to switch to control the combat ship when you enter the battle instance.

yes, for any fleet, trader or no.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

Economy more oriented toward crafting materials and crafted goods, rather than useless "trade goods".  Trade less focused on national captials. 

Prices that follow supply/demand rather than binary "normal price" and 1.  (and contracts?)

Trade that has some effect on ports and nations, rather than simply farming money.  Government dispatches and spy missions. 

Keep in mind, nobody bothers to hunt privateers except perhaps other privateers.  It isn't time effective and there's nothing to be gained.  Caught traders just surrender and move on with their lives. 

^^This^^

A player-centered economy is the basis for any meaningful merchant game. And at the end of the day, if you want OW to be meaningful, then we must have a robust merchant game.

Otherwise the game makes no sense and we just go play Legends.

Edited by BPHick
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BPHick said:

You currently can enter an enemy port with a warship in the fleet, it just has to be in a fleet slot and not the player-controlled ship (I think this may be unintended, but it is possible)

 

I know, I meant 1 + 2 (otherwise the fleet escort is just a joke, due to the fact that AI of fleet is actually not existing).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, victor said:

I know, I meant 1 + 2 (otherwise the fleet escort is just a joke, due to the fact that AI of fleet is actually not existing).

got ya, misunderstood :D

I would actually like to see it removed and you can't enter an enemy port with a warship anywhere in the fleet. It takes away the realism aspect and as you said, the AI doesn't really add to gameplay in this case.

Edited by BPHick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Teutonic said:

Not entirely merchant related but I think a huge QoL change for merchants...and everyone, would be the ability to surrender a portion or all of your cargo against privateers/pirates.

That way the player could keep his ship (if the privateer agrees) at the cost of some (or all) of their cargo. I think the biggest thing that has folks quiting tends to be the loss of everything, ship, cargo, and crew.

I keep hearing from people like @Hethwill and @Hodo who no doubt love sinking players but also would love something like this. It could really improve the merchant life and the privateer life.

As a regular trader I think this suggestion benefits the privateer way more than it benefits the trader.

With the weights of trade goods the Privateer cannot carry many anyway so if he captures your trader he can only take a small portion of the cargo and they very seldom take the ship unless they are very close to a neutral port that they can enter as it hampers their speed and makes them easy targets. Also due to PvP marks they tend to always sink the traders ship to get them as they are more valuable than the cargo. As long as they get PvP marks they will always sink the trader.

Others have suggested that they can take half the cargo value in gold, well that is just so that they do not have to bother going back to port to sell the trade goods and can remain out hunting. It has no benefit for the trader at all.

The whole surrender and be able to keep your ship and some of your cargo is also prone to abuse as what is to stop them letting you go only to attack you again i.e. take your cargo or gold first pass and then attack you again and sink you to get PvP marks. Trader ships are cheap as all can be captured from AI apart from the Indiamen and they are easy to make as most are Fir/Fir. As long as you do not get intercepted every run you make more than you lose in the odd run that you do get intercepted. This is why I argue in other threads about not letting hunters camp right outside a port where they can see every ship entering or leaving.

The huge QoL improvement in this suggestion is for the hunters and not the traders.

In my opinion what traders need is a proper economy that gives more meaning to the goods they carry so they are not just money making items (because currently you can make more just doing missions in safe zone) but somehow have more effect on the RvR. Someway to make the PvP part of the game more reliant on traders so that there is a need to protect traders. Give some reason so people decide to form convoys to protect their trade from lone hunters. Make solo trading more profitable but more risky.

I have suggested previously that port maintenance should be in the form of a certain number of trade goods per week, this could be tied into a hostility system where if a port did not receive the required number of goods it could maybe be automatically open for attack (i.e. hostility at 100%), or alternatively allow hostility to be raised quicker against such a port. If a port does not get its weekly supplies maybe one or all of the forts become inoperable making to port weaker.

A better trader tool is required showing live prices and prices should be dynamic based on supply and demand.

Contracts should be visible for all ports from anywhere, so a person can easily see what is required where.

There are so many ways that they could encourage more traders out onto the seas which in turn would bring out the hunters and the people to defend the traders and thus create more PvP in the OW.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...