Game-Labs Forum

View/camera points

I suggest adding new/additional observation points ("cameras"), operated by numeric keys. If such a thing were implemented, maybe we can have option (not mandatory!) to disable external camera for fans of realism?

"Smaller" ships:

8 - Bow

4 - Portboard

5 - Crow's nest, top of the main mast

6 - Starboard

2 - Stern

"Bigger" ships, additional cameras

7 - Port bow

9 - Starboard bow

1 - Port quarter

3 - Starboard quarter

14lo4ea.png

What do you think?

• Like 9

Well, I've said it before but I'm happy to repeat it here again: for those who really like realism and immersion (like myself) it would be fantastic to make the camera moveable across the deck. As if you are walking the ship. Yes, it would take you a few seconds to be able to look forward when you happen to be standing aft, but so it was in real life. In addition I vote for limiting external view to non-combat situations only (on dedicated realism servers).

Please note that all this does NOT require avatars to be made. I don't need to see myself nor any other captain, I'm just talking about being able to move the camera at walking speed. This should be relatively easy to implement and adds a world of immersion. I want to have the feeling that I am ON a ship, rather than that I AM a ship. 

• Like 3

Great idea , but it has been discussed on the forum and we all agree that we would like to have the freedom to move around the ship. But this topic is about something else, and in my opinion , easier to implement without rebuilding game engine.

Btw-there will be just one server.

It's a matter of marshaling resources at the moment.  I would like to see either this or the free roaming camera on the deck ala Age of Pirates.  But I am content with the current system to be honest.  There are enough collisions as it is  :D

I suggest adding new/additional observation points ("cameras"), operated by numeric keys. If such a thing were implemented, maybe we can have option (not mandatory!) to disable external camera for fans of realism?

"Smaller" ships:

8 - Bow

4 - Portboard

5 - Crow's nest, top of the main mast

6 - Starboard

2 - Stern

"Bigger" ships, additional cameras

7 - Port bow

9 - Starboard bow

1 - Port quarter

3 - Starboard quarter

14lo4ea.png

What do you think?

Yes, yes, a million times yes.

I know this is of minor importance, but I would love to see more camera angles for the ship to fully enjoy the impressive work and details put in.

Views such as;

Crows nest

Wheel

Inside gunports looking out

Different views from weather deck, poop deck etc.

'Fly by' view of ship sailing past a fixed point (awesome for moments when streaming or making youtube videos)

Broadside view showing side of ship from fixed view so you can see entire battery firing.

Sure there are more ideas.

More views would let us really enjoy the majestic look of the ships. With the somewhat limited views we have now I feel the beauty of the ships is a bit lost...

*edit*

I would also love being able to join battles as spectator only, even battles that are already ongoing, just to make videos or to observe how people play so I can learn tactics and gameplay.

• Like 1

I "came up" using the zoomed in view looking around through the transparent sails and then jumping into the "gunsight" view as needed. I had to learn quickly to watch the minimap (sorry again Leviathan).

I think it would be perfect to be either on the quarterdeck or at the gunsights - with no "outside" view of your own ship.

Perhaps an "outside" view of other Captains ships in a Spectator Mode would be cool cool cool -----

I can see it now --- "Hey there's a big Trincomalee dual between MrDoran and Praytor - quick come watch" and 150 spectators show up, Devs could charge admission ;)

Personally I started being interested and following this game because it seemed to aim for a realistic/simulation approach of such naval eras. How do I long for a naval game in the likes of the naval experience in the lasts Assassin's Creed but without all the arcade elements.

I'd love for a naval game with realistic speeds, damage models and ammo/cargo space. I'd love for a naval game that wouldn't have such magical aerial views like it currently has but instead only allows the player to witness and manage its ship like any captain would in real life. As any sim fan, realism and immersion are huge factors. I really hope the development of this game emphasize on realism, free from big white aiming visual aids, external views, omniscient radar mini-maps or semi-instant auto repair abilities and the likes. Alas I fear it just is trying to do a War Thunder-at-sea game, that what it currently feels at least, sacrificing realism on the altar of "fun", accessible & popular gameplay.

Here's to me being wrong!

• Like 1

I think it's fine the way it is. There has to be some gaming balance, because we don't have a full crew, and the FOV is not like real life. I'm not going to spot much out of the corner of my eye while staring at a monitor. I think the zoom-out is just the right amount, and I can zoom in if need be.

I would say that, hopefully come the live game, the "home" bit goes away as it can be used to pass info to allies when you're already dead. That doesn't matter all that much right now, and it let's us take some awesome screenshots for publicity, but it may be a problem in the live game.

• 2 months later...

My biggest wish for the Camera view points is form the quarterdeck where the commander/captain of the ship would stand in a battle, With a more fluid way of look around, with out having to change camera but simply looking around and aiming the way we all ready do. Just with a red and green aim to show if you aim to far to either side. Of course that will cause some blind spot in front and back if small ships get close, so cameras in front and back and the one we way we got. And maybe one in the mast just because that would be awsome way to view in a battle, but 9 view points would be too confusing 

BHPuAUN.jpg

MSBWPPn.jpg

vCrXmvO.jpg