Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming patch 14 Part 3

2 hours ago, Quineloe said:

I called my buddy who is an expert on experts on experts on age of sail, and best I can do is $20 for Vermin Nerrill

And to think I didn’t think you were as much of a douche as everyone said you were...  I stand corrected, Swineloe.  

See how witty that is?

Heres a hint:  It’s not.  

28 minutes ago, maturin said:

Then that would happen every time the ship sailed forwards, too.

Duh...

ITT everyone suddenly becomes concerned nautical experts because of features they don't like.

Tell me what do you create on bow/stern pointing in movement direction? Lady%20Washington%20III.JPG

A wave that is going upwards on the ship hull On the oder side you have a wake. What will the wave do when doing 7kn backwards? pushing the rudder out of its holder?

I agree that with the 1kn normal speed in clam weather nothing will happen but we have no clam weather in NA nor are we doing only 1kn backwards.

When I watch real square riggers tacking they do it in clam sea and not with 7kn backwards and I bet its not without a reason.

Edited by z4ys

Just now, Hethwill said:

We do 3 to 8 knots in reverse depending on modules.

Question for savvy folk:

- if sails aback do not billow as much ( not even anything compared, ) how does the momentum ( accceleration/deacceleration ) builds up so fast ?

The battle instances are compressed time. If not for that battles would last days.

1 minute ago, Valentine Karrde said:

The battle instances are compressed time. If not for that battles would last days.

I know. What I am asking is compared with forward motion, where sails billows are really inflated we have certain wind strength that, according to ship mass, etc, translates into certain speed.

Given the opposite, with wind pushing the sails against the mast and almost flat, how can the momentum be carried so fast ?

5 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

I know. What I am asking is compared with forward motion, where sails billows are really inflated we have certain wind strength that, according to ship mass, etc, translates into certain speed.

Given the opposite, with wind pushing the sails against the mast and almost flat, how can the momentum be carried so fast ?

It's not.... or you would be able to go a lot faster backwards. There's still the same amount of wind hitting the same amount of sail surface. Wouldn't be too much of a difference in acceleration I don't think. It just seems fast due to the time compression. 

Edited by Valentine Karrde

On 15/12/2017 at 2:04 PM, admin said:

Captains.

Here is information on the forthcoming patch 14 Part 3

1. Merge

Merge will happen next week (somewhere between 18th and 22nd December).

Due to the fact that all your assets from global will be transferred to redeemables on the Caribbean, you can already start a character or use an old one on the Caribbean Server formerly known as PVP EU. All your assets will come to redeems once merge is done and you will have some head start to get used to a new place ( +pick a name, nation etc). 

2. Ship re-balance will continue

• all light ships will get their final exact (Historical) sail composition and curve finalized
  • most frigates will have their super turning powers rebalanced
  • some ships will have their speed curves slightly improved (e.g. bellona)
  • open world speeds slightly improved

3. Leeway will be added

1UuCftp.jpg

Lb7Yd6r.jpg

4. Unstable situations might be added (having a ship with large yard power but using it irresponsibly can result in capsizing of the boat).

5. Several new upgrades added

6. New combo books added

7. Rudder turn inertia and acceleration added, yard power inertia and acceleration added.

i'm really impatient to capsize my ships :)

16 minutes ago, Valentine Karrde said:

I have a feeling they screwed something up royally and are scrambling to fix it. This smells of business as usual lol.

I got the same feeling when 90 mins turned into 2 hours and no patch notes posted.  They been pretty fast on the patch notes lately.  Than no responce here but @admin has been answering other post like in the Russian section.  Just would be nice to get an update even if it's just, "We got to work on some more stuff before merge, but here is what got patched this morning."

2 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Hell I plan to try to flip one just for fun.

I assume this "feature" is not yet well implemented and needs a lot of tweaks (as other "features" still need). So in the beginning it shouldn't be a problem to flip ships at will :D

It makes sense that the timers roll out at least a day ahead of the merge.

Otherwise we mean global players would nightflip every port before Euros could restrict them.

Edited by Farrago

2 hours ago, z4ys said:

Tell me what do you create on bow/stern pointing in movement direction?

A wave that is going upwards on the ship hull On the oder side you have a wake. What will the wave do when doing 7kn backwards? pushing the rudder out of its holder?

I agree that with the 1kn normal speed in clam weather nothing will happen but we have no clam weather in NA nor are we doing only 1kn backwards.

When I watch real square riggers tacking they do it in clam sea and not with 7kn backwards and I bet its not without a reason.

So tell me what happens when the ship is sailing forwards at 8 knots, and is struck square on the counter by a 25-foot wave traveling at 30 kts, and the stern is lifted bodily into the air?

If shipbuilders were total freaking morons, as you seem to imagine, then the rudder would 'float away' in the above situation.

Victory-stern_6733.jpg

Or, maybe they weren't morons.

No one in NA makes 7 kts backwards when tacking. More like 2kts.

Tacking was difficult in heavy seas because the waves would tend to throw the bow off the wind at the most critical moment.

5 minutes ago, maturin said:

No one in NA makes 7 kts backwards when tacking.

Not tacking. Actually on purpose and keeping the yards manually always on the eye. A 44 gun frigate can very fast reach 5 knots in a blink of an eye and actually escape a boarding action being prepared.

2 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Okay then. Would think the billowing would limit any wind spill whereas a flat will spill most outwards.

Thanks for answer.

On the other hand, when trying to sail backwards at 90 degrees, you are relying on sails creating lift, not just drag. So in that situation the sail's shape would be terrible, with the mast and shrouds distorting it.

But last I checked, it was not possible to sail fast on that course in-game anyhow.

8 kts backwards is pretty extreme. As a complete guess, I'd say that's only likely to happen in high winds when you will probably regret trying it. In a violent squall the stern windows could be smashed in, flooding the gundeck.

The main consideration is that you can tear the rudder off when going astern at speed. If a ship knew it was going to make serious sternway, the rudder would be jammed amidships using wooden wedges.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, maturin said:

So tell me what happens when the ship is sailing forwards at 8 knots, and is struck square on the counter by a 25-foot wave traveling at 30 kts, and the stern is lifted bodily into the air?

If shipbuilders were total freaking morons, as you seem to imagine, then the rudder would 'float away' in the above situation.

Victory-stern_6733.jpg

Or, maybe they weren't morons.

No one in NA makes 7 kts backwards when tacking. More like 2kts.

Tacking was difficult in heavy seas because the waves would tend to throw the bow off the wind at the most critical moment.

Whats the purpose of the chain again? A right it should keep the rudder towed to the ship when it got out of the holder ;-)

surprise isnt even a good downwind sailer try that with a  good downwind sailer

• Like 1

1 minute ago, z4ys said:

Whats the purpose of the chain again? A right it should keep the rudder towed to the ship when it got out of the holder ;-)

You're just making s**t up. Show me one instance of a rudder just "floating away."

Look at the picture. The rudder's head protrudes *into* the stern of the ship. The midshipmen lived right next to it and the large tiller.

The chains are for back-up steering when the tiller or its tackles are broken.

surprise isnt even a good downwind sailer try that with a  good downwind sailer

What's your point? The quick acceleration/deceleration is cartoonish and exaggerated, but it's only 5 knots in the best case scenario. The underwater shape of the stern is very fine, almost like a bow on some modern boats. They based it on the tail of a fish, gradually tapering to a point.

• Like 1