Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming patch 14 Part 3

19 minutes ago, DustyA said:

It seems most of these refers to capsizing during storms, and the two papers suggests capsizing with of around 20knots or more. Don't the devs mean, capsizing in fairwind just from the sailforce in that condition alone?

Right, no ship is going to capsize unless there are high winds or breaking seas.

It would look out of of place were it to happen on a sunny day like the instances we have in-game. Of course, given that the ships are all running around at 13 knots, the wind would have to be quite a bit higher than it appears to be.

18th Century technology isn't going to let a ship sail at 13 kts in 15 kts of wind. 20-25 kts is nearer the mark.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maturin said:

Right, no ship is going to capsize unless there are high winds or breaking seas.

It would look out of of place were it to happen on a sunny day like the instances we have in-game. Of course, given that the ships are all running around at 13 knots, the wind would have to be quite a bit higher than it appears to be.

18th Century technology isn't going to let a ship sail at 13 kts in 15 kts of wind. 20-25 kts is nearer the mark.

My follow up question would be "Wasn't it regular practise to sail with less sails in those kind of wind?". I don't think the game model enough of the real world effects to implement that without some glaring un-realism. 

1 hour ago, DustyA said:

My follow up question would be "Wasn't it regular practise to sail with less sails in those kind of wind?".

Naturally, although ships could be carrying plenty of sail when overtaken by sudden squalls, even in a complete calm.

Topgallants (the third highest square sail) could be carried in a fairly stiff breeze, perhaps 25 kts in some cases. So that accounts for the sailplan of Cerberus, or Trincomalee in-game. However, many of the in-game ships that are modeled with topgallants (that is, no royals) also carry a maintopgallant staysail, which is a light wind sail.

55 minutes ago, maturin said:

Naturally, although ships could be carrying plenty of sail when overtaken by sudden squalls, even in a complete calm.

Topgallants (the third highest square sail) could be carried in a fairly stiff breeze, perhaps 25 kts in some cases. So that accounts for the sailplan of Cerberus, or Trincomalee in-game. However, many of the in-game ships that are modeled with topgallants (that is, no royals) also carry a maintopgallant staysail, which is a light wind sail.

In such a situation, the sails would be taken in or reduced to something more appropriate, no? But as you can see, currently we don't have full control of each sail.
In regards to sails plan, I have this idea where you can choose to set each individual sails, and setting the best combination of sails will yield the best thrust, whereas if you don't some sails be in the lee of others, and won't generate thrust. 
The idea is to tie the setting of sails to a specific button, say w, when you press it shows you the masts. 1,2 and 3 will be the fore, main and mizzen mast, and you can have tick boxes at each mast to represent each sails. So if you press 1, a yellow box will highlight the foremast, and you can navigate the sails with A and D key, choose to set or douse with W. Or you can use the mouse to click and choose!
Something like the crudely drawn image below? And the  mast icon can show you which sails are set. and you can add staysails for each masts in there too if you want more control over those. Do you think this is too complicated? The only issue is if you choose to reef each sails, it will requires using another button and different marker to indicate reefed sails

7dc9b47f52.png

Edited by DustyA

On 12/15/2017 at 4:13 PM, Odol said:

So does this mean the Privateer, Lynx and Prince will flip as soon as they begin to turn?

What does this mean for other ships, will battle sails be viable?

And how will this effect fore-aft rigged ships?

Battle sails currently are hardly viable with the new sailing mechanics because your ship loses so much speed, acceleration and manual sail turning that you might as well just surrender.

I suggest everyone try to do one PVE battle using battle sails. You'll see what I'm talking about. It is utterly pointless to go battle sails now. 
It wasn't like this before the patch. Not at all.

We have these square rigged ships doing more speed backwards close tho the wind than forward. (Just a matter of time till people figure out to run away while sailing backwards lol)

But why can we do so?

backwards2.jpg

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, Yngvarr said:

90 minutes came and passed, and still the server is listed as "Update".

Is their merge taking up all this extra time?

The coffin's nail is long :lol:

3 hours ago, Quineloe said:

Battle sails currently are hardly viable with the new sailing mechanics because your ship loses so much speed, acceleration and manual sail turning that you might as well just surrender.

I suggest everyone try to do one PVE battle using battle sails. You'll see what I'm talking about. It is utterly pointless to go battle sails now. 
It wasn't like this before the patch. Not at all.

I think if you keep in mind that 18th Century sea battles were limited manoeuvre battles, dependent on wind direction and speed the manoeuvring would have taken place before the first broadsides were fired, for the most part they would have been a duel of broadsides in pretty much a straight line with the lower courses furled to minimise the risks of fire. Speed would have been low with the lowest courses furled and in light winds speeds of 2-3 knots have been recorded.

In game we have the luxury of roaring about like Motor Torpedo Boats on steroids, under full canvass, and I guess it is some thing we take for granted, I think under 18th century conditions many battles would go the full 90 minutes with  a proportion  of those battles being stalemates just as it was back in the day.

Edited by Sir Lancelot Holland

9 minutes ago, Sir Lancelot Holland said:

I think if you keep in mind that 18th Century sea battles were limited manoeuvre battles, dependent on wind direction and speed the manoeuvring would have taken place before the first broadsides were fired, for the most part they would have been a duel of broadsides in pretty much a straight line with the lower courses furled to minimise the risks of fire.

Constitution-Java_battle_plan.png

• Like 3