Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming patch 14 Part 3

19 minutes ago, Christoph said:

no update. only maintenance

Doesn't mean much cause they can prob do the redeemeables without doing any patches.  They done it before in the past either gave out on spot or have something go active after the servers where live.  Though would still be nice if we got some update or patche notes from the Devs to know whats going on?

2 hours ago, Mike the Mongel said:

Get into a fight with more than 2 and watch that ping jump to 500 , it will vary but if players coming over want to stick to just pve due to bad ping , this may just hurt some sadly 

that is an interesting point. the global mergers are majority non european, so rather then close global server why not use its hardware as with the eu server and create a virtual server situated somewhere like i dunno.. with a relative distance to eu players and american. therefore we all have a similar and fair ping.

just an idea tho i am not sure on how realistic this suggestion is. but im thinking of you Mike :)

36 minutes ago, rediii said:

What about a chinese player on EU server?

Sad part is placing the server in eastcoast US is a logical decicion that actually makes sense

I play some other EU games and they have servers in places like UK, France even Greenland or was it Iceland and I get about 85 ping with no spikes.  I get around 40-60 on Global.  Was getting 135-140 on EU but oddly it's actually been around 120-130 lately.  While I agree it's play able to play in those pings, but some odd reason many of us get really bad ping spikes and I haven't been able to pin it down to battles or anything cause I had them in OW, PvE battles and even just sitting in ports.  Which means it something about the location of the current EU Server.  Server locations and more than anything the equipment they use and resources can make a big difference.

I know the SEA players we had on Global that are behind the Chinese firewall said they prob not going to move on with the merge cause they just can't play with the Ping in EU.  Which you think would be better as it's closer, but again it's the path they have to go through to get to that server.  

I remember back when I was working offshore field service work I was playing WoT and I have accounts on all servers. I was in Singapore and I got better ping on the west coast NA server than I did from the SEA server that was pretty much right next door to me.   While I never had a problem with the EU server when I played on it when I was in South Africa or any other African country or Spain.

While we are in Alpha testing a game it really not going to matter where the locations are as we need to save the resources and work on getting all the bugs worked out in this game.  Than we can have servers in SEA/US/EU and maybe some of them with special regional restrictions to make certain players happy.  Hell maybe even one of them silly PvE servers.  

I play air combat sim in US server, 130 ping, huge 1:1 scale instance with a whole lot of entities and players. No issues.

I did play a full campaign in Global. Only two PBs played but a fair lot of OW encounters. No issues.

It comes down to two things - own connection stability ( some ISPs are really bad for gaming ) and overall type of connection ( satellite folk from the outback might suffer the most ).

So I am good and even promote the Caribbean server to be based on US - central point for EU, US and AUS/SEA, if all other concerns are dismissed ( at the tech level. 24/7 service is never ;) )

15 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I play some other EU games and they have servers in places like UK, France even Greenland or was it Iceland and I get about 85 ping with no spikes.  I get around 40-60 on Global.  Was getting 135-140 on EU but oddly it's actually been around 120-130 lately.  While I agree it's play able to play in those pings, but some odd reason many of us get really bad ping spikes and I haven't been able to pin it down to battles or anything cause I had them in OW, PvE battles and even just sitting in ports.  Which means it something about the location of the current EU Server.  Server locations and more than anything the equipment they use and resources can make a big difference.

we found the way to remove ping importance from boarding (taking some ideas from fast chess). Thats the only place where ping could matter sometimes (in even crew scenarios).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, admin said:

we found the way to remove ping importance from boarding (taking some ideas from fast chess). Thats the only place where ping could matter sometimes (in even crew scenarios).

Can you elaborate? Sounds interesting :)

Btw, what happened to that Boarding preview you showed us long ago? Is that still in the works, put on hold or cancelled?

1 minute ago, admin said:

There is still a slight delay when you fire.  Which can effect accuracy when your dealing with some one that does single shot demast compared to some one with the delay. My problem is more the ping spikes though and yes I still have them.  Though since the announcement of the merger I been dropped from EU about half a dozen times while just sailing to get to ports and set up .  I'll start F11 every time to see if there is something causing it, but if it's something others are getting than for a GLOBAL location it might not be the best choice.  The problem is there is many variables that effect connections for a game, but when 50% of you sales is from the Nourth American area than it would prob be wise to have a server in that area upon release of the game.  Though while in alpha testing I don't really care the location of the server. I alpha tested a game that had only Russian servers before (that was laggy as hell), but great game.  While in testing stage we can expect sub par connections, but upon release lets hope that is ironed out more.

@Jeheil had a great dual with the Wappens that came out and it was a nice video set cause it showed his ping from SEA area vs some one on EU next to the server and you could very clearly see a delay in his firing.   

4 hours ago, Mike the Mongel said:

Get into a fight with more than 2 and watch that ping jump to 500 , it will vary but if players coming over want to stick to just pve due to bad ping , this may just hurt some sadly 

Numbers in a fight have nothing to do with ping. I used to play on a 70 k dsl connection. The only thing that caused my ping to fluctuate was when the wife turned on Hulu or Netflix. Other than that it stayed around 180. I got fiber recently and my ping is now a steady 142, regardless of any other variables. I live in about the most remote area you can find in the US, I'm in western Nebraska, 5 miles off the road and 65 miles from the nearest town. If you can find worse internet conditions in the entire country, I would be surprised.

35 minutes ago, admin said:

Ping matters in combat too. You get much over 300 and you may a as well surrendur, especially if you end up against a demaster. You'll find yourself without masts and boarded before you can even think of defending.

Edited by Valentine Karrde

1 hour ago, Havelock said:

Can you elaborate? Sounds interesting :)

Btw, what happened to that Boarding preview you showed us long ago? Is that still in the works, put on hold or cancelled?

Limited time for overall boarding. Like in speed chess. You have 30 seconds for all moves. 30 moves if you pick them at 1st second - 2 moves if you delay all moves to the last second of the round.

Delay your move to the end of the round (14 seconds) and waste most allocated time for the boarding. This will fix last second attacks. Use it 1-2 times but after that you lost all initiative and can only see how enemy wastes you because you cannot respond (being stuck in the last command)

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, admin said:

Limited time for overall boarding. Like in speed chess. You have 30 seconds for all moves. 30 moves if you pick them at 1st second - 2 moves if you delay all moves to the last second of the round.

Delay your move to the end of the round (14 seconds) and waste most allocated time for the boarding. This will fix last second attacks. Use it 1-2 times but after that you lost all initiative and can only see how enemy wastes you because you cannot respond (being stuck in the last command)

A single last second attack usually wins boarding. Most boarding actions are won or lost in a couple moves. Most people don't survive one last second attack let alone two or more. I think the only way to truly eliminate ping from boarding would be to allow only a single move per turn.

3 minutes ago, Valentine Karrde said:

A single last second attack usually wins boarding. Most boarding actions are won or lost in a couple moves. Most people don't survive one last second attack let alone two or more.

yes and no

if you lost 60% of your crew yes (low morale low preparation)
if you have even crew no - single last second attack DOES NOT win boarding

29 minutes ago, admin said:

yes and no

if you lost 60% of your crew yes (low morale low preparation)
if you have even crew no - single last second attack DOES NOT win boarding

I had 420 crew vs 410 the other day. I feinted with muskets and changed to attack at the last second. I shocked him, he lost. 1 round. Like I said, the only way to make ping irrelevant in boarding is to eliminate last second attacks.

It's this sort of cheesiness that causes folks to quit the game. Boarding and dismasting are your two worst mechanics

• Like 2

@Sir Texas Sir that duel was against the right honourable Olav Deng.

Ping effects 3 things, Raking, Mast Sniping and Boarding. However in general this is one of the most forgiving games for ping.

Boarding using a cooldown on skills would be the only alternative (well maybe not the only...you could force both players to the same ping !!)

I look forward to any new system, not so much because of my ping, its the cost of living in the most beautiful country in the world....but because the system seems to 'jar' with the rest of the game, both in style and look

• Like 3

Perhaps I misunderstand how it will work...

1. You can not take hostility mission except during the window.

2. You can only take a mission if in your own port.

3. PB happens 24 hours after hostility reaches 100%.

4. I assume hostility will reset to 0 at server maintenance as it has previously

Ergo:

There will (almost) never be a port battle in the early part of the window.

Let’s say my clan wants to attack a port early in the window on Wednesday. I need to take the missions on Monday and then my fleet needs to sail over to the mission location in advance of Tuesday’s window. We’ll need some good strong fleets conducting simultaneous missions to grind the hostility really quick once the window opens but realistically, rarely will anyone be able to have a port battle except in shallow water within the first almost hour of the window.

I’m not sure this is all a bad thing because it does encourage advance planning but shouldn’t there be a way that pbs are scheduled throughout the entire window.

5 hours ago, Jeheil said:

@Sir Texas Sir that duel was against the right honourable Olav Deng.

Ping effects 3 things, Raking, Mast Sniping and Boarding. However in general this is one of the most forgiving games for ping.

Boarding using a cooldown on skills would be the only alternative (well maybe not the only...you could force both players to the same ping !!)

I look forward to any new system, not so much because of my ping, its the cost of living in the most beautiful country in the world....but because the system seems to 'jar' with the rest of the game, both in style and look

I believe I live in the most beautiful country in the world yours would be 2nd 😝

Edited by Rebrall

With these new more realistic sailing mechanics, we really need to be able to separately control the spanker (clew up, or haul amidships) so it doesn't work against the maneuver.

For example when wearing, you would clew up the spanker, otherwise it would push the stern away from the wind. When tacking, you would haul the spanker amidships to increase pressure on the stern and help with turning into the wind.