Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming patch 14 Part 3

Just now, rediii said:

I have a tip for you.

If you dont do something in real life but you do it in a video game dont say something is not realistic. It actually could be realistic even tho you dont like it

I respect your opinion but seriously they are trying to make something realistic to life yet the mechanics and the enviroment in which we play only give us a portion of our bodily senses in which to gauge these things. If they included in the mechanics the ability to let out mains so i didn't sail backwards I may have less to complain about but in battle in a game or possibly real life I would opt for forward momentum pretty much all the time.

1 minute ago, Aziz said:

I respect your opinion but seriously they are trying to make something realistic to life yet the mechanics and the enviroment in which we play only give us a portion of our bodily senses in which to gauge these things. If they included in the mechanics the ability to let out mains so i didn't sail backwards I may have less to complain about but in battle in a game or possibly real life I would opt for forward momentum pretty much all the time.

There's youtube videos widely available of things you claim to be impossible.

Just now, Quineloe said:

There's youtube videos widely available of things you claim to be impossible.

Never said impossible i said unrealistic because no one would typically use them and even if they did they would most likely be isolated circumstance or mistakes. Also pulling a fancy trick or maneuver like you see on you tube often comes at the price of a thousand mistakes. Perhaps I am to hasty to exclude it so I'm not stopping you for having the option to do so but leave me the option to play the game how i like I paid my money as well.

@admin If you implement capsizing it would be awesome to have storms in the game where one would need to sail propper to get the ship out of it in one piece!

Option 1: Stoms could appear in the OW and pull everyone who gets to close into it - like getting tagged. --> That would of course be bad for afk sailors!

Option 2: Just dynamicaly match the weather in battles with the weather in OW - this way that the weather could change gradually in the middst of a battle.

Maybe add a "storm sails" mode, the possibility to close gunports (one key for one deck - maybe the keys now used for locking certain decks could close the ports in a storm) and the necessity to cut high tides in an right angle!?

- one could start with the % sett of sails from OW (in case of option 1) and would need to get them changed into storm sails in a certain time to avoid masts breaking

- if enemys get pulled into the storm aswell (option 1) one could decide which decks should open gunports and which not. Depending on the decision there would be more or less firepower available and more or less water getting into the ship (than at least pumps would make any sense).

- if waves hit the ship at the side it should do some damage

- Portbattles should be excluded from such heavy storms (they need too much organisation to be interrupted by such things - and who would be so dumb to sail a big fleet into such a massive fight when strong squalls are raging!?)

I know it's crazy, but i would like it! :)

Edited by Navalus Magnus
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Navalus Magnus said:

@admin If you implement capsizing it would be awesome to have storms in the game where one would need to sail propper to get the ship out of it in one piece!

Stoms could appear in the OW and pull everyone who gets to close into it - like getting tagged.

Maybe add a "storm sails" mode and the necessity to cut high tides in an right angle!?

I know it's crazy, but i would like it! :)

Devs, what about adding FOG?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Aziz said:

If they included in the mechanics the ability to let out mains so i didn't sail backwards I may have less to complain about but in battle in a game or possibly real life I would opt for forward momentum pretty much all the time.

You really have no idea what you're talking about. Please stop.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

Everything aspect of the game should be tied back to economy.  Upgrades should not be grinded for.  (Recipes for them, perhaps?)  Everything should be focused on having merchants in the water, moving goods.  Everything stems from that.

Something that this game desperately needs...But hey, few remain lone voices in the wilderness.........:(

1 minute ago, Havelock said:

Please add a method to stick rudder to one position then. Or just make the rudder automatically counter leeward drifting in auto sail. I dont think having to tap a and d all the time is a mechanic requiring skill or making sailing more fun.

Not sure. Why we would have leeway implemented if then we would have 1 single key to nullify the mechanic ?

Also, to naval fellows, how was lee countered best in the timeline, if at all ?

Unstable situations might be added (having a ship with large yard power but using it irresponsibly can result in capsizing of the boat).

Without storm instances or squalls, I don't see the use of capsizing. No one should suddenly capsize just because they set their yards wrong, like a bolt from the blue.

If the ship is in danger you will know in advance because the angle of heel will increase way past 10 degrees (which seems to be the max in this game).

If the wind is strong enough to capsize a ship, then sailing backwards in the same conditions would also threaten the masts.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Not sure. Why we would have leeway implemented if then we would have 1 single key to nullify the mechanic ?

Also, to naval fellows, how was lee countered best in the timeline, if at all ?

I see it as a mechanic to give ships more unique sailing qualities. I mean, can you imagine having to slightly tap d for 20 minutes xD

3 minutes ago, Havelock said:

I see it as a mechanic to give ships more unique sailing qualities. I mean, can you imagine having to slightly tap d for 20 minutes xD

I see fights becoming less linear.

I would imagine with less wind on sails the leeway becomes less hence less need to continuous tap ( tap will rudder, effectively changing course vector )

1 minute ago, Havelock said:

You don't need to tap the rudder at all.

If you want to sail at 95 degrees and you make 10 degrees of leeway (which is a lot, in moderate wind), then you just aim at 85 degrees. That's absolutely it.

Leeway is a very simple feature to account for (maybe not to code). If implemented correctly, it is only of great relevance over the course of a long upwind chase, or when maneuvering close to the wind at slow speeds. For example, trying to maneuver your ship under the guns of a fort, or taking up position to fire into a boarding action. Then we should be sliding all over the place.

The question here is what kind of range of leeway we are dealing with. Most ships should just make a few degrees when pointing between 90 and 70 degrees to wind, ranging to above 10 degrees of drift for leewardly vessels. And additional leeway anytime sails are 'stalling', like when square riggers try to make 45 degrees to the wind in-game. Whenever the sails aren't producing enough lift, you'll sag to leeward.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dharus said:

When you sail from point A toward B, you never go in a straight line to B.  The wind pushes you downwind so to sail to be B you need to point further upwind.  This effect can cause you to get pushed into unfavorable positions such as a shoreline...

Aye.....always be afeared of getting caught on a lee shore......<shudder>

Jack Aubrey is always going on about that :)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, maturin said:

Without storm instances or squalls, I don't see the use of capsizing. No one should suddenly capsize just because they set their yards wrong, like a bolt from the blue.

If the ship is in danger you will know in advance because the angle of heel will increase way past 10 degrees (which seems to be the max in this game).

If the wind is strong enough to capsize a ship, then sailing backwards in the same conditions would also threaten the masts.

Maybe it shouldn't get ships to capsize without a storm, but could cause damage to the top of the masts!?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Quineloe said:

POBS had the currents thing all wrong. All of it. Never mind what a stupid mechanic it was. Speed buff by passing over a giant arrow in the water? Yuck.

Well I agree arrows were ugly, but concept worked well and traders used it well. It got people from point A to point B faster. This would help and it's better than nothing.