Game-Labs Forum
DontTreadOnMe

Storm engagements

No captain would risk his ship above what is now in the game. He'd set storm sails and run for his life.

I disagree.

In places like the North Sea and the English Channel, where a lot of these battles took place, they would not have had a choice.

In fact, some of the larger battles were fought in terrible weather.

• Like 1

Had a descent sized battle last night on the storm map.  It ended with 1 minute and 25 seconds to spare.  We may want to consider increasing the timer for these.

I want to know if we are going to get (eventually) a night cycle for some low light scenarios. Though not the optimal battle situation It would be fun to see the cannon flash in the night.

Not sure what the % rate of getting into a match with stormy weather is but in the last 10 games I have played I have been thrown into 6 stormy weather matches, at first i loved them and they were challenging but having too many of them one after the other can be tedious and boring. Is anyone else getting a lot of them lately?

I am over stormy weather too, you made your point devs avoid sailing into storms and fighting or you'll have to play the storm battle map.

I yeild sir! I strike my colours!

I rarely get storms. Maybe 1 out of 10. I also love them. I wouldn't want them every match but they are alot more exciting and challenging. It greatly effects my play style. Good luck at kiting in a heavy storm with small boats.

Lower gun ports on the big ships should be shut during these battles.

Thats a great idea for little ships to try there luck vs larger ships by drawing them into storms :lol:

I dont see stormy weather too often, but fun when it happens!

Would like to see something in between still waters and storm though. Be nice to see rolling waves slightly smaller than the storm ones.

As for small ships in storms, I love it. A small yatch can use waves for cover then fire when the enemy is on top of waves. Hard enough to hit small ships on flat water, in storm its extra hard even if you just fire single shots using space.

I'd be great if now and then there was a real storm - with big waves and 100mph winds and broaching and having to fight for survival against the elements instead of the enemy - and rain

I just had two in a row for the 1st time, loved every second of it even when me and a friendly crashed into each other, 10/10!

Should make a system where people can vote for what weather they want, I'm so sick of the stormy weather, it's really boring playing it all the time, I am getting to the point where I almost don't want to play if I have to play it over and over all the time.

Should make a system where people can vote for what weather they want, I'm so sick of the stormy weather, it's really boring playing it all the time, I am getting to the point where I almost don't want to play if I have to play it over and over all the time.

Try to be positive about it. If you get good at storms because your luck has you playing in them alot then in flat water you will be OP.

To tell you the truth: stormy weather is my chance to have a good fight, and I am actually doing better (looking at the dmg-points gained and the opportunity to survive bigger battles) than in flat water, where I am always mixed up with staying close to the team without ramming them, or get out of the way for the heavier armed in our fleet.

In storm everyone seems more on his own, forced to take initiative, trying to compete with waves and wind, observing more carefully his own position and looking for a target in reach. Whereas "in line" I am either a danger to my fellows or of no need. And, yes, I tried to be obedient to orders given.

In storm orders are more of a suggestion, which I can follow or neglect due to the very situation.

Just my two cents, and of course a very individual view on fighting under circumstances that appear unwanted to most (as in real life).

The best battles I've fought have been on the stormy waves. They're as challenging as they are fun, and they are certainly challenging. Aiming and firing in a storm just feels so... natural.

It's a great feeling when you successfully fire a broadside over a wavetop to have it smack the enemy; especially while they fire into the wave by not seeing it coming.

• Like 1

Weather is always a factor same as wind

I wonder if we will find a day in the open world where the wind is becalmed.

Check this out:

GCqCBIo.png

Some researchers went through a bunch of log books of sailing vessels and mapped out every course. You can see the major trade routes as well as some pretty crazy deviations, but what's really neat are the doldrums, visible there in the Atlantic as ships stood in calm weather for a long time.

• Like 4

Personally, I find no enjoyment whatsoever playing storm maps. I have to muster every bit of non-douchebaggery within me to keep me from just quitting the battle and instead endure 30-60 minutes of wasted time. Bleh :(

Haven't sailed in many storms, but it seems like an opportunity for chain shot to play a larger role:

1) Hitting the hull is harder to do -- on the other hand, slowing down an opponent until she suffers from severe rolling, and then approaching for the kill...

2) A suggestion to Devs is to make the impact of sail damage greater in heavy weather, even to the point of a mast falling overboard.  Maybe this already happens.

Respectfully yrs, etc,

• Like 1

the only reason i survived in my linx against the VICTORY, CONSTITUTION, and a BRIG engagement was becasue of the stormy weather, the ships my teammates were in, and the time running out! :)

So I started a PVE battle 2 vs 2.

Weather is stormy and the visibility is quite bad.

I engage one ship and my teammate another. After i manage to deal with my enemy i realize i am out of sight of any other ships. I tried to reverse my course but I found nothing and the map is sort of tiny.

Is there anyway to check if there are still any other ships sailing and their wherabouts?

Thanks in advance.

L.

The battle will automatically end when one side is completely sunk. Press tab in game to see who is alive and who is sunk. There is no map or radar equivalent though.

A useful tool in storms is to press 'Home' on your keyboard and use the free camera to locate the remaining boat (scrollwheel to increase speed).

The battle will automatically end when one side is completely sunk. Press tab in game to see who is alive and who is sunk. There is no map or radar equivalent though.

A useful tool in storms is to press 'Home' on your keyboard and use the free camera to locate the remaining boat (scrollwheel to increase speed).

Cool....thanks!