Game-Labs Forum
DontTreadOnMe

Storm engagements

Let me keep this simple. I HATE storm engagements. No sane captain would fight in this weather. Its NOT fun. My opinion, whats yours?

By the way, I'm not hating, this is one helluva game. Devs, keep it up!  :D

• Like 2

I don't like them either but the sea is not always a calm place. Storms happen often and the seas get rough. This game is based on a lot of realism so I feel like they're necessary. If it were up to me it'd be raining pretty hard as well just to add atmosphere. 

I love the storms myself and would like to see further elements added such as rain and lightning. It's a nice change of pace from other games where you are limited to sailing the equivalent of giant lakes with no waves at all. It can be a challenge though.

• Like 7

I love the storms myself and would like to see further elements added such as rain and lightning. It's a nice change of pace from other games where you are limited to sailing the equivalent of giant lakes with no waves at all. It can be a challenge though.

+1

I agree with Destraex. Storms SHOULD be harsh and part of the game. In the open world when you're sailing about looking for someone to gank/fight it would be a nice element for the gankeee to have a chance to get away. Storms just mean close quarter combat.

-Cannonball

• Like 2

I agree with Destraex. Storms SHOULD be harsh and part of the game. In the open world when you're sailing about looking for someone to gank/fight it would be a nice element for the gankeee to have a chance to get away. Storms just mean close quarter combat.

-Cannonball

Very good point  B)

Only in a storm can a snow sterncamp a Santi and live - yee haw!

I love the rough water - like the Bay of Biscay in November

Just gotten the game last friday. Have not yet seen any engagements in storm yet.

Would like to see sails damage occuring (i.e. due to stress - if sailing with full sails for example)

• Like 2

I like them too. Maybe less strongers waves could give more fun in the light pvp, but i think it fits well with largers vessels.

It would be interesting if, depending on their severity, the lower decks would need to be kept closed to prevent foundering. 

• Like 2

Let me keep this simple. I HATE storm engagements. No sane captain would fight in this weather. Its NOT fun. My opinion, whats yours?

By the way, I'm not hating, this is one helluva game. Devs, keep it up!  :D

Maybe no sane Captain, but you didn't choose your weather when you came across the enemy.  It could be clear as a bell at noon, or it could be in the midst of a major storm.  Your enemy could run from you and put for foul weather to try and lose you, only for you to catch up in the weather.  I don't think it's unrealistic to have to fight in heavy weather at times.

Just gotten the game last friday. Have not yet seen any engagements in storm yet.

Would like to see sails damage occuring (i.e. due to stress - if sailing with full sails for example)

Grunf - the storm map seems to be restricted to the PvP and PvE rooms - I haven't yet seen that map in the Light rooms (or they just have it at a greatly reduced chance for Light).

It would be interesting if, depending on their severity, the lower decks would need to be kept closed to prevent foundering. 

Yes. This please.  Heavy seas played a role in a few very famous actions where the Captain of a smaller vessel used heavy weather to take a much larger vessel when the large vessel was unable to use their lower gun deck.

• Like 1

I love fighting in storms because it makes you change your tactics and your sailing habits. It is something that happened occasionally and something that I have always felt most games missed from their feature list.

Storms are almost as exciting on their own as battles. The storm in itself is action packed.

• Like 4

I like the storms because they add realism to the game. They happened, and since captains couldn't access satellite weather info, they had to rely on their barometers, and visual observations to predict whether they could sail around one. Lots of times they couldn't.

I've been caught on the Great Lakes in sudden summer thunderstorms, and it gets "interesting" - fast.

That said, the bots in PvE should be toned down in storms. Their accuracy at long range is ridiculously unreal.

So this is storm force 9 and I love it for itself, but there's no reason that in the future the devs can't create varying sea states between millpond (normal) and force 9. And I hope they do, we just have the extremes at the moment.

I love the "storm", though honestly I don't even think it's that heavy of weather. Swells are only like 8-10' it seems. Would like to see the waves even larger, rain, etc. Maybe a waterspout to keep it real interesting :)

• Like 1

No captain would risk his ship above what is now in the game. He'd set storm sails and run for his life.

It's okay with me if they put heavy weather in the full game. But I won't try to fight in it.

For me the storm map is a love hate relationship. The only thing I dislike is when I want a quick engagement. Storms always increase the time a match takes, especially if there are a lot of ships. However, I typically don't care. But in the times where I have 30 minutes and I get a storm map, I'm like crap, I should have walked away after the last match but sadly I couldn't and had to have one more :D

No captain would risk his ship above what is now in the game. He'd set storm sails and run for his life.

It's okay with me if they put heavy weather in the full game. But I won't try to fight in it.

Good point, although it doesn't seem there's much risk of foundering or capsize as the storms are currently modeled.

Maybe severe storms with truly large waves could be part of the open world, as something to be avoided and/or dealt with as part of trade or transit.  After all, didn't the Spanish lose a few ships once, whilst enroute to fight the British? ;)

I can see that might be difficult to model, however, and surely it would tick people off to lose ships that way.

I can only assume a good captain would probably have their cargo strapped down to keep it from rolling around of course, but if it were to come loose... that would be a big issue, especially adding a risk to capsizing a ship ~ Just a thought :P

I can only assume a good captain would probably have their cargo strapped down to keep it from rolling around of course, but if it were to come loose... that would be a big issue, especially adding a risk to capsizing a ship ~ Just a thought :P

What thought it that?  We should have random cargo shifts that sink us in a storm?  I'm not sure that's good gameplay.