Game-Labs Forum

Important: Server status announcement

7 hours ago, OneEyedSnake said:

what if we have an account on both servers? but my account on the pvp global server is more advanced in terms of wealth and ships. do i need to delete my eu character to keep my global character? 

My question exactly. I may have created a character that I haven't played in years and now in Global I have been playing for a different nation under a different nation.  What happens? Do I have to change the nation and name at Caribbean EU? And what is the penalty for doing that?  

9 minutes ago, Dauntless7_Original said:

Allowing the owner of a port to dictate when they can be attacked and limiting it to a 2-3 hour window, which they of course can set for the middle of the damn night when the attacking nation players might attack is nonsense. In the real world the attacker chooses when and where to attack and the defender just has to try to predict and prepare.  

If latency on the "carribean" server is as bad as it has always been when playing from CONUS it most certainly will, not be enjoyable for half of the globe. Wont continue to play a game where half my broadsides miss because the ship I am shooting at isn't really where it is on my monitor.

There are 78 people on global right now. "Half of the globe" have already given up on the game.

1 hour ago, Archaos said:

I am not sure how you are working your figures out but if you are going to have to pay 7.5 million a day to prevent ports getting flipped out of hours then you must as a clan own 75 ports. If a single clan owns that many ports then maybe it shouldnt be easy for them to defend all. So in that case it would be a good thing to allow other clans have some ports and prevent any one clan becoming too big.

A single person can generate over a million in a couple of PvE battles, which would be enough for 10 ports. If a port is losing you money, why bother to defend it unless it has some strategic advantage for you. Let someone else take it and lose money, whichever way you look at it it should be the important ports that will always be defended and that is where the real end game RvR will occur.

Per nation.

And sure, it doesn't sound like all that much until you realize that it has to take place day in and day out, on top of the existing losses from owning ports or even wanting to make any profit, on top of fewer and fewer players around to do it, on top of fewer and fewer players willing to grind it out.

And that doesn't even go into what the PB setup time is for unprotected ports (hope it's near-instant to really mess things up), the prospect of yet again doing easy enemy-deprived hostility to set up a cascade of PBs right at the start of a protected window with minimal warning, the "strategic" fiddling of port timers like in the past to deny attacks at hotspot areas (could've tied those windows choices to a per-clan basis, but nooo...), the ping wrecking of a playerbase wherever you place the server (Aus/SEA for EU-based, Russia for US-based), actually expecting any decent off-time RvR (or crossover PvP) from the population count of a dead server that had to resort to friendly setup fights, nor the numbers to enable that for more than 2 or 3 nations (I can hear the ‘just recruit the non-existent players‘ already and those few nations allying up :D).

It's gonna be a great show to watch B) Can't wait.

7 hours ago, Christendom said:

no the brits don't need more empty ports cap.

Which means all them old empty ports would be ripe for the taking by new clans wouldn't they?  Depending which nations the new guys join of course.

6 hours ago, Christoph said:

The Brits love PBs with NPCs

Come on we all know the NPC's fight harder than most the Brits and US on GLOBAL......sorry had to go there.

6 hours ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Same shit as before, just have some friendly clans from all time zones in your nation and your ports are safe, since they can cover the worst time for the enemy (3 AM in the night)

They will only cover that port if you set the port timer to that time zone, but I can see some clans having friends to cover certain ports and that is a nice thing you don't have to be there to defend it if you have 15 friendly clans with some of them being able to cover that time zone and fill the port.  Just don't put your important ports in odd time zones that you won't have the most to defend.  

6 hours ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

real reason for this change: 1 server is cheaper than 2 =)

Would be true if they dump PvE too...lol

6 hours ago, Tiedemann said:

Some nations/clans in the past misused the defence timers and set them to times in the middle of the night, just because they knew their enemies would struggle to attack at those times. In the beginning they stated that they had us and aussie time zone players etc, but the pbs where never defended. This happened the last time, I'm not making it up. And in the end all nations used this "game mechanic".. 
I vote that if some clans misuse the defence timers systematically and do not defend when they are attacked, they should lose the right to set defensive timers!

This is where friendly clans come in hand or even other nations. You could get a friendly clan of your nation or another to hit that port and take it in those time.  Than they can give it to you if your of another nation or hold it in name only for the nation.

5 hours ago, Cornelis Tromp said:

So they are basically gambling with the "fun'of 400-500 for the benefit of 100-150. Curious how this will play out.

Actually the numbers on both servers are higher than that.  Look at the numbers all day long.  We keep a steady 100-150 all day with it going up during prime time.  Some of those times we actually have higher numbers than EU cause of it.  That isn't 400-500 or 100-150 players we are talking about.  You are getting prob more like 1K extra players onto your server easily if you count all day long.  This will help other time zone pops increase and means more fun for all.

3 hours ago, OneEyedSnake said:

@admin @Ink could we also have a one time name change paper? Id like to rename my character in the EU server to OneEyedSnake, and i dont want to delete what i have currently due to the uncertainty of how this will all roll over. 

If you have less rank/xp on the EU char just do what most will.  Delete the char and make a new one and than redeem your xp and such from Global.  I'll be doing this with a few chars as I pretty much spread them all over the place on EU since I really wasn't playing and didn't redeem most of there stuff after the wipe.  This will also mean some of them are going to rank up with the cross over xp if we get to stack them.

4 minutes ago, Aegir said:

Per nation.

And sure, it doesn't sound like all that much until you realize that it has to take place day in and day out, on top of the existing losses from owning ports or even wanting to make any profit, on top of fewer and fewer players around to do it, on top of fewer and fewer players willing to grind it out.

And that doesn't even go into what the PB setup time is for unprotected ports (hope it's near-instant to really mess things up), the prospect of yet again doing easy enemy-deprived hostility to set up a cascade of PBs right at the start of a protected window with minimal warning, the "strategic" fiddling of port timers like in the past to deny attacks at hotspot areas (could've tied those windows choices to a per-clan basis, but nooo...), the ping wrecking of a playerbase wherever you place the server (Aus/SEA for EU-based, Russia for US-based), actually expecting any decent off-time RvR (or crossover PvP) from the population count of a dead server that had to resort to friendly setup fights, nor the numbers to enable that for more than 2 or 3 nations (I can hear the ‘just recruit the non-existent players‘ already and those few nations allying up :D).

It's gonna be a great show to watch B) Can't wait.

I still do not see the problem, in fact I think it will help. Lots of people complain about Brits capturing empty ports only, well maybe the cost will become too prohibitive under the new system. The game needs a gold sink as it is currently too easy to make money. If you cannot afford to keep a port defended then you will lose it.

From the figures in the other thread you linked it would cost Sweden just over 37 million to keep their ports on defence times to suit themselves. The nations that will really lose out are the nations that pick up the useless ports that are usually empty port battles even on the current EU server. It makes it more tactical forcing the carebear nations to come out and try and take the profitable ports.

More players on the server will also bring more economy to the server which may start making some of the unprofitable ports profitable, especially if what they do works and attracts more players to the game in addition to the combined numbers from EU and Global server.

If you do not want the cascade of PB's then do not set all your ports on exactly the same time (not sure at what intervals you can set your timers, but it is something that could be raised). I do not agree with the possible instant PB starts, but lets see how that works and if necessary it could be changed.

@admin Will unlearnt books, unused ship refits, ship matts, rare mats (cartagena tar, swedish carpenters, diplôme de l'école d'artillerie etc), trade goods (versailles terracotta etc.), combat marks, pvp marks and victory points also be ported over as redeemables?  Also it seems that not all will be ported, what specifically will not be ported over?  Thank you

Edited by TheLoneWolf

13 hours ago, admin said:

Discuss.

What do you mean by resources moving over?  Does that mean we will get all our crafting goods?

Will Marks move over or should the be "spent"?

How will you handle names?  Some names will be the same (just guessing).  Will you be able to rename.  I would like a small tweak.

Edited by IndianaGeoff

13 hours ago, admin said:

Captains. Please pay attention to the important announcement regarding the pvp servers

PVP EU will be renamed "Caribbean"

• PVP global will be closed down 
  • All assets from the PVP Global will be transferred to the redeemables tied to steam account including
    • combat and crafting xp
    • slot xp
    • knowledge books learnt
    • ships
    • money and monetary costs of buildings and outposts and dockyard slots
    • resources
    • clan warehouses are under review - we will try to merge them too to the officer who logged in last
  • Defence timers will come back: clans will set the 2-3 hour defense timer that will be used to set up port battles
  • Defence timers will cost 100k per day, clans can choose to not setup the defence timers if they choose to do so.
  • Next day port battles will be partially abandoned. Majority of port battles will start the same day from the hostility generation.
    • If you raise hostility before the defense timer port battle will start during the defense timer (which sometimes mean immediately)
      • you raise hostility at 2pm UTC 
      • defense timer is at 4-6pm UTC
      • Port battle will start today at 4pm UTC
        • if you raise hostility to 100 from 4 to 6 port battle will start immediately
    • if you raise hostility after the defense timer port battle will start the next day during the defense timer
      • you raise hostility at 8pm UTC
      • port battle will start at 4pm UTC the next day

TLDR: One world - one pvp server. 

Discuss.

@admin Will all of our warehouse contents transfer, or just resources (thinking guns, books, upgrades, permits, etc)? 

Also, what about permanent upgrades already placed on our ships? Will we get those as well?

14 hours ago, admin said:

Captains. Please pay attention to the important announcement regarding the pvp servers

PVP EU will be renamed "Caribbean"

• PVP global will be closed down 
  • All assets from the PVP Global will be transferred to the redeemables tied to steam account including
    • combat and crafting xp
    • slot xp
    • knowledge books learnt
    • ships
    • money and monetary costs of buildings and outposts and dockyard slots
    • resources
    • clan warehouses are under review - we will try to merge them too to the officer who logged in last
  • Defence timers will come back: clans will set the 2-3 hour defense timer that will be used to set up port battles
  • Defence timers will cost 100k per day, clans can choose to not setup the defence timers if they choose to do so.
  • Next day port battles will be partially abandoned. Majority of port battles will start the same day from the hostility generation.
    • If you raise hostility before the defense timer port battle will start during the defense timer (which sometimes mean immediately)
      • you raise hostility at 2pm UTC 
      • Port battle will start today at 4pm UTC
        • if you raise hostility to 100 from 4 to 6 port battle will start immediately
    • if you raise hostility after the defense timer port battle will start the next day during the defense timer
      • you raise hostility at 8pm UTC
      • port battle will start at 4pm UTC the next day

TLDR: One world - one pvp server. 

Discuss.

LOOKS AWESOME GUYS . BACK TO FAN BOY STATUS. ty so much for the server merge. 

• Like 1

Well done devs... only problem, you did it too late, like in other cases, in my oppinion, the merge is coming too late, maybe  1/2 year or 1 year too late.

Its very nice to have players back from different timezones.

Its not a reason to start playing again... beacause its just a question of time, till NA dies!

As noted it does say all resources, but not materials, nor upgrades or books.

for those with stuff on sale i expect make room for it and take off sale and pick up contracts ASAP.

Had a though about ships so will empty holds and remove guns as well as I expect we will lost them anyway if kept in ship and the guns/materials are not transferred.

1 hour ago, Chilly Willy said:

ping will be an issue for some players.  would be nice if there was a way to tweek the server.

Shouldn't be an issue to most USA players. I live in North Central Nebraska, 60 miles from the nearest town, 6 miles from the nearest road, and I have 100 ping on EU server.

3 minutes ago, BallsOfSteel said:

As noted it does say all resources, but not materials, nor upgrades or books.

for those with stuff on sale i expect make room for it and take off sale and pick up contracts ASAP.

Had a though about ships so will empty holds and remove guns as well as I expect we will lost them anyway if kept in ship and the guns/materials are not transferred.

It says all assets, including (may or may not be limited to):

@adminQuestion: How will the port ownership be handled with this merge?

I mean, many ports on PVP Global are not owned by the  same nation as on the PVP EU server.

I imagine that the players on the PVP global server wouldn't be happy about losing certain ports.

Do we need to prepare for another map wipe?

36 minutes ago, Yngvarr said:

@adminQuestion: How will the port ownership be handled with this merge?

I mean, many ports on PVP Global are not owned by the  same nation as on the PVP EU server.

I imagine that the players on the PVP global server wouldn't be happy about losing certain ports.

Do we need to prepare for another map wipe?

That good question. Wonder why come out now after all those posts😉

10 hours ago, greybuscat said:

So inane years-long arguments aside, I didn't see @admin mention marks. Are we getting cash value for those, redeemables, or should we be burning through them and going out in a blaze of fireship Wasas?

all assets will be transferred. including marks, rare books (learnt or unlearnt) and knowledge slots

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Dauntless7_Original said:

Allowing the owner of a port to dictate when they can be attacked and limiting it to a 2-3 hour window, which they of course can set for the middle of the damn night when the attacking nation players might attack is nonsense. In the real world the attacker chooses when and where to attack and the defender just has to try to predict and prepare.  

If latency on the "carribean" server is as bad as it has always been when playing from CONUS it most certainly will, not be enjoyable for half of the globe. Wont continue to play a game where half my broadsides miss because the ship I am shooting at isn't really where it is on my monitor.

In the real world the defenders of a port would not be half way across the world or at work or sleep, they would be available 24/7 to defend a port. We do not really want to go down the route of reality in this case or you would need players to be on call 24/7 to defend and they wouldnt be able to hop from port to port doing other things while waiting to be attacked.

The only fair way to get port battles that are contested is to allow the defenders set the time when they can be attacked. That way there is no complaint that the attackers worked it so the defender had no people online when the attack happened. The attacker always has the advantage that they know when they want to attack and they know that they will have sufficient numbers to carry out the attack. The defender is always reacting and this may be an issue with the possible instastart battles as they have to at short notice get the right ships and people to a port to defend against a prepared attack.

The latency issue is always going to be a problem for some people, but that will apply wherever they place the server. If the game ever gets enough players regional servers could be viable.

Question for the Devs:-

Ive built a Le Ocean using live oak and white oak. It has Cartagena corking naval hull and one more permanent mod on it.

It also has got 5 ship knowledge slots unlocked with a bunch of knowledge upgrades bought and looted.

In what format as a redeemable will this be transferred? Will it be a single redeemable with all the upgrades and wood types, or will it be a set of separate redeemables?

Edited by Jesters-Ink

Give us the details of how the redeemables will work. Will each ship be redeemable with its specific build, with each of its specific permanent upgrades, with each of its specific cannon deployments and with each explicit hold content? Will each comodity or resource be a specific redeemable for that resource or commodity in the exact same quantity?

Moderated: I don't like the high ping time to EU and it makes me sad and angry.