Game-Labs Forum

Can't advance in the Cerberus

Timothy Bonaparte

Question

Bonjour

I recently grinded my way up to the rank that allows me to crew 200 people, and instantly bough myself a Cerberus, armed and crewed it, and sailed out. 

I took my first mission, the easiest one I can acquire for a rank 5 vessel and when I sailed out and entered the combat order I noticed I was up against a Renommee. I engaged it, thinking that since this mission was the easiest available it oughtn't be too difficult. We exchanged volleys and I began to notice that there was no way I could defeat a ship so much more powerful than me so I ran away, not willing to lose my newly acquired vessel. 

I thought this must have been just bad luck so I took another mission and the same thing happened again. I then tried one of the fleet combat orders, supposing it would pitch me and a few AIs against a fleet of AIs, thinking that would be an easier thing to accomplish. Yet to my surprise, when I entered the combat order on the open sea, I found myself alone against a large fleet of other Cerberuses, Renommees and Frigates, and nobody on my side. I immediately ran away.

So my question is, how the hell am I supposed to gain xp and money in the Cerberus when all missions available to me are impossible. And why is it that I always have to fight against a more powerful ship, with an AI that never seems to miss their shots, and that manouvres like a god (perhaps I should also mention that the Renommee captains I was fighting had the "devil" rank)?

What am I doing wrong and why has the game suddenly become so impossibly unfair? What can I do aside from "joining a clan" to advance?

Regards

Tim

Renommee is not more powerful than the Cerberus by any means.

They both mount 9-pdr guns, putting them at the same level in terms of firepower. Renommee has a pair of insignificant quarterdeck guns on top of that. You should be able to complete that mission without too much trouble.

You may have been getting thrown off by the Renommee's sloping hull, which can deflect shot. I recommend going yardarm-to-yardarm and aiming low. Make sure your shot strikes at a perpendicular angle, to avoid ricochets. A Double Charge perk can also help here.

If you still have trouble, invest in some 32-pdr carronades and wreck your opponent at close range.

• Like 2

Good points by @maturin

use carronades and just try to use your better maneuver and stay on one side
cerberus eats Renommees for breakfast - just needs a bit of practice
use planking or reload mods (even if they slow you down)

you can also hunt in the open sea in the cerberus - picking targets to your liking (even pickles)

Key is angling yourself to the very predictable broadsides of the reno. Teak reak is a good combo for that. If you do it right and time your broadsides right after angling yourself, you should not have much of an issue.

Id also recommend either mediums with double shots or carros. Though carronades didnt seem to work in frig v frig battles for me lately, the very limited pen. Values pretty much force you to go side to side to get your shots in, and by doing so you're exposing yourself.

I've always enjoyed the challenge solo NPCs offer to players in this game.  It's a quality experience in learning how to sail your ship effectively.  Get good enough at it and the AI become predictable to the point where they're easy to handle each and every time.

Honestly, I'm glad that it's just my incompetence that's preventing me from completing the mission. Thank you all for the answers. 

On another note, does anyone else think that battles end way too fast? A couple of salvoes is enough to destroy a ship's side. Shouldn't these things take way way longer

Also, someone mentioned something about ships made of fir. I'm not familiar with that, I just buy what's available. How important is this information when it comes to me being able to win a battle?

1) Light woods are not good at all for missions (and fir is the lightest one). I suggest trying with sabicu/sabiucu (budget) or white oak/white oak (expensive).

2) equip basic hull and a basic rudder upgrades (you find them for reasonable price and drop from NPC).

3) start taking with you some hulls repairs (in case you get beaten too much)

4) learn the basics of manual sailing to turn into the wind

5) As far as carronades are concerned, I do not know: with carros you make actually much more damage but you loose a lot of precision and NPC now tend to get along more often than before. 

1 hour ago, Timothy Bonaparte said:

On another note, does anyone else think that battles end way too fast? A couple of salvoes is enough to destroy a ship's side. Shouldn't these things take way way longer

Let us know what you think 150 battles from now.  :)

Sometimes naval engagements were over in a few well-aimed broadsides.

On the other hand, in-game battles between a few lineships often run out the clock. Having a human captain on both sides makes a big difference.

A Cerb should defeat an AI renom with good maneuvering.

That being said, the Cerberus is pretty light for what the 5th rate missions may throw at you. If you're struggling remember that you can get similar exp (and better rewards) by picking on AI fleets on the open world.

19 hours ago, admin said:

Good points by @maturin

use carronades and just try to use your better maneuver and stay on one side
cerberus eats Renommees for breakfast - just needs a bit of practice
use planking or reload mods (even if they slow you down)

you can also hunt in the open sea in the cerberus - picking targets to your liking (even pickles)

Or you could introduce 2-3 more 5th rate mission ranks, similar to 6th rate missions!?

14 hours ago, shaeberle84 said:

Or you could introduce 2-3 more 5th rate mission ranks, similar to 6th rate missions!?

Yes, that would be ideal. As of now, I have to exit half of the missions I enter due to rng deciding I'll face up against a much more powerful opponent. Honestly, the AI is so God-like that I can't really win most missions, and trial and error isn't an option as losing my cerberus costs too much money. While I do appreciate all the tips I really still am facing the same issue as before. I can't craft a better ship, I can't win against a better AI.

I just exited the game after losing two battles. I really see no point in me being pitted against a surprise in a cerberus. He is a better ship in every way and no matter how well I manouvre he just has more firepower and more protection and he will prevail in a prolonged fight. 

And to top it off, you get no money whatsoever for a battle where you scored 200 hits and badly damaged two vessels before being forced to retreat. You do however have to pay for the damage you'd sustained. 

Edit 2: I forgot to mention that I often get to fight a frigate as well. And there is no way that's reasonably possible to complete for an average player. 

Edited by Timothy Bonaparte

Judging from your speed and crew numbers, I guess you are using a ship sold by the NPC, that is actually made out of very light wood.

Fast, but nimble. And crew space is of no use, better try to get your hand on a player crafted cerberus, something like white planking with white oak frame.

Edited by Batman

It's easy:

-You go straight and load double ball in your left side and double charge in your right side.

-When you are close to your enemy, you press T to depower and stabilize your ship and you fire. Make corrections with rudder because NPC will try to turn, so you must turn a little to the right and then keep going straight.

-When you have completed the left broadside, you turn with manual sails to the right and when NPC is giving you again his bad side (left), you fire your double charge broaside.

-After that you keep going a little to the right and you make a T with your enemy. You depower again, enemy keeps turning and it gives you again his left side, so you fire another double ball broadside on him.

If you follow these simple steps, his left side will be very damaged, so you have to try to position your ship in order to keep making damage on that side.

Job done.

Try it.

Edited by _Alucard_
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Timothy Bonaparte said:

I'll do my best; I suppose I have no other choice.

What server and nation do you play? Ask in your nation chat if anyone would be willing to do some 5th rate missions with you. BTW, the tactic @_Alucard_ suggested is almost the same as I use. It works. 

7 hours ago, Timothy Bonaparte said:

I just exited the game after losing two battles. I really see no point in me being pitted against a surprise in a cerberus. He is a better ship in every way and no matter how well I manouvre he just has more firepower and more protection and he will prevail in a prolonged fight. 

And to top it off, you get no money whatsoever for a battle where you scored 200 hits and badly damaged two vessels before being forced to retreat. You do however have to pay for the damage you'd sustained. 

Edit 2: I forgot to mention that I often get to fight a frigate as well. And there is no way that's reasonably possible to complete for an average player. 

Assist XP similar to NAL would be great, too.

4 hours ago, Farrago said:

What server and nation do you play? Ask in your nation chat if anyone would be willing to do some 5th rate missions with you. BTW, the tactic @_Alucard_ suggested is almost the same as I use. It works. 

I tried asking and usually people seem to busy doing their own things. I don't blame them. Is it possible for 2 players to join a normal combat order or do you have to take a fleet combat order for coop? 

Mahogany is a wood I would not recommend for grinding at all. 

Your screenshot states: mahogany and crew space. the second "wood" is the planking. Crew space means: no planking - more space for the crew. Better woods for planking give u a thicker hull.

Here is a link to the meaning and values of the different woods. 

Try to ask in nation chat whether some veterans can sell u a cheap ship for leveling up. 

5 hours ago, Timothy Bonaparte said:

I tried asking and usually people seem to busy doing their own things. I don't blame them. Is it possible for 2 players to join a normal combat order or do you have to take a fleet combat order for coop? 

2 or more can join a single combat order as long as they are in the correct rated ship (or smaller). We do this to help train our new players. If there are 3-4 players joining, then we do fleets.

Edited by Farrago