Captains

Part 2 of Patch 14 is being deployed today 

Ships of the line and frigates sailing performance is finalized based on:

• Sail percentages on individual masts
    • Spankers
    • Jibs
    • Staysails
    • Spirit sails
  • Displacement to sail power (amount of sails in comparison to weight)
  • Block coefficient
  • Waterline length
  • Width to depth ratios now better affect acceleration and deceleration
  • Width to Length ratios now better affect speeds and turning
  • Crew on sails are adapted to the square area of sails

Speeds, yard power, turning, sternway (backward speed), accelerations, decelerations were changed for all 3 masted ships.

As a result. 

Performance of vessels in combat is now extremely realistic. If your ships has a bigger spanker or more jibs you will see a slight difference on how this ship reacts to wind.
You can fail a tack if you do things wrong and do not use yards. If you try to tack at low speeds you will get completely stuck in irons if you don't use your yards. 

Example of the failed tack
9pindNi.png

Other changes

• Speed will be affected by structure damage. If your structure is below 70% you will see a degradation of speed and will have be more careful when conserving structure. In other words you will not longer see light frigates zooming away at 14 knots having 2 bars of structure left.
  • Open world speeds slightly improved at bad winds (you will travel slightly faster) - this is done to compensate to significant changes to square sailer curves

Next patch: Part 3 will cover hp, br and speed performance for light vessels (2 masted and 1 masted ships)

some indicative stats
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vpd0gIGgJNqaRYqAppB3IbX_TX8zNhx-nVY1jq72QFA/edit#gid=0

Please use this topic to feedback on the sailing performance of frigates and lineships. 

Patch update 18 Dec

Update was deployed yesterday 18 Dec

• Important: Defence timers added to ports.
    • Clans can set up the timers for hostility and port defense.
    • Hostility generation is IMPOSSIBLE outside of the defense timers.
    • Port battles will always start 24 hours after  hostility reaches 100%
      • defense or defence?
  • Fixed a very important rare bug with the cannon reload (which now allows us to bring light carriages back). Thanks to @Cpt. Reverse
  • Ow Traders now drop better loot 
  • Sternway reduced to 55% from forward speed from 65%
  • Bot behaviour against the wind improved
  • Bot OW speed reduced by 15%

Update 21st December: Experimental

Gameplay changes
Victory marks (marks received for winning the map) conversion is now only available for the PVE server

Improvements
Crash reports sent only take into account logs of the recent crash (speeding up returning to the game significantly after the crash)

Update was deployed today 22 Dec.

• Labor hours contracts can now be bought for combat marks
  • Victory marks can be bought for PvP marks to promote both RVR and PVP activites
  • Prices for ship notes for PvP marks updated and generally lowered.
  • Wasa and L' Hermione have been moved to PVP rewards and prices were updated
  • Ability to acquire wasa on a pve server will be added next week together with the removal of permits for majority of vessels on both servers.
    • permits will remain for first rates and second rates
  • Distribution of victory marks changed
    • victory marks will be given to top 3 positions on the conquest weekly leaderboard
      • 3 marks for first place
      • 2 marks for second place
      • 1 marks for third place
    • victory marks will only be given to the players who:
      • Have at least one lord protector status in at least one port by the end of the round - bringing his nation a control point or,
      • Participated in a successful port battle during the conquest round (even if the port was lost later on) - bringing his nation a battle point

Update has been deployed today - 26th December

• Removed victory mark requirements in blueprint and permit acquisitions for all ships except for first rates
  • Reduced prices for PvP content in pvp marks because previously the catered to top pvp players but not the average players (it should be better now)
  • Fixed an important bug with bot reload getting stuck from time to time
  • Increased cool down and time to recover crew on the surgeon - surgeon was working too fast and too often during battles and it had to be nerfed.

Final changes for ship physics including leeway and adaptation of all light ships is being prepared. 
New year gifts will be distributed with the forthcoming patch (part 3 of sailing model improvements)

• Like 39

well , lets test it out.

bad sailing will get his lesson learned the hard way , what is a good thing.

learning  to sail is vital, to gank comes second ...very good , i love it already although i am a very bad sailor ....

question:

" If your structure is below 70% you will see a degradation of speed " does this count for one side,   or just 70 % whole structure included stern and bow (and sail as well)

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 1

Just now, Liq said:

So in theory if you lose your bowsprit in a trinc in a close hauled / into wind manouver and cannot repair.. it's gg? 

Looking forward to test

you still have a good amount of power on yards, to help you push through. but you will sail much slower closer to wind indeed.

26 minutes ago, admin said:

Next patch: Part 3 will cover hp, br and speed performance for light vessels (2 masted and 1 masted ships)

Please ... tutorial for newbies ... please. Game needs it (and even more since - after part 3 of the patch - small ships will be more difficult to sail for new players).

Edited by victor
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, admin said:
  • Displacement to sail power (amount of sails in comparison to weight)
  • Block coefficient
  • Waterline length
  • Width to depth ratios now better affect acceleration and deceleration
  • Width to Length ratios now better affect speeds and turning

You find me sitting in awe!

I'd never expected to find these terms in an explanation to a computer game! We wrestled with these during our design discussions for our racing dinghies for hours, days, and weeks, though.

I REALLY appreciate your approach and your willingness to grasp the meanings of these terms and translate them into ship's behaviour as realistic as possible.

And I just won a bet of 100 PVP marks :))

Looking forward to test the vessels.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Thonys said:

" If your structure is below 70% you will see a degradation of speed " does this count for one side,   or just 70 % whole structure included stern and bow (and sail as well)

I think it just means structure, the middle column. neither side armour nor bow or stern armour.

3 minutes ago, Luigiebox said:

Deleting My answer isnt gonna do Much you know?

Please focus your answers on the patch and ship behavior
In this topic we are not interested in feedback NOT related to the patch and ship behavior

• Like 2

Do I understand correctly that now chaining staysails will slow down ship only when she goes against the wind, and chaining main sails will slow her down with the wind? 

I just hope that chaining eg only front mast won't destabilize sail center and make ship go to the wind on neutral rudder. Even though it would be realistic and cool, it would be hard to understand for new players...

Just now, vazco said:

I just hope that chaining eg only front mast won't destabilize sail center and make ship go to the wind on neutral rudder. Even though it would be realistic and cool, it would be hard to understand for new players...

it will destabilize the ship but not if the ship on the autoskipper (autoskipper is always balanced - because the boatswain balances your vessel for you.

8 minutes ago, admin said:

Please focus your answers on the patch and ship behavior
In this topic we are not interested in feedback NOT related to the patch and ship behavior

mmmh well if you can't take critisism then don't ask for feedback i understand you asked for feedback about how ships sail but censoring people's opinion on the patch itself isn't right nor ethical but you can do what you want just saying if you ask for opinions and then start censoring them people will just stop giving them i still hope you are able to get people back in the game to take full advantage of your new mechanics and this amazing game (people will solve most of the issues)

Edited by amplify
i will leave it at that
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Fluffy Fishy said:

Out of interest how well have the AI been handling these changes in the test prior to uploading it to the server?

Have the AI been finding it at all difficult to use the new system and do they have any special privileges?

ai will use the same tools players have, based on their skill level (rank shows their skill level)